Question about the student visa

I had a question about the student visa. I have read two different things about it. I heard you could legally teach and I have heard you cannot. Another site I looked into stated that if you had a student visa you could work but It had to be a limited number of hours. Can anyone answer this question

In general, students are not allowed to work. Despite the fact that you do not have a work permit and an ARC , with a Student Visa you are not allowed to work. But, if you have been studying for one year you may apply for a part time job which weekly hours shall not be more than 16 hours. (I think they changed it from 12 to 16 hours). If these rules have ever been executed or used by students, I do not know but you could ask the responsible person at the university or language school. You also could call the CLA for furthr infos.

I was in Taiwan last year, I worked (legally) during 1 year here. Since last december, I am student and I have a tourist visa (2 months extendable up to 6 months). I was in my university more than 4 months and now I can apply for a student visa, but before I want to know something …

I will run out of money soon and I need to work again. My question is :
“Can I apply for a student visa and work right now for 16 hours a week or do I need to study 1 year … (since I live in Taiwan since about 1 year and half) ?”.

Thank you,
Vincent

As long as you are a student with a student visa you cannot work legally in Taiwan except the one year study requirement has been fulfilled. You may find an employer first who provides you with a work permit an ARC. After that you can enroll at the university again. In that way your purpose of stay is not study.

Another problem may occur. When you apply for your student ARC you have to prove that you have enough money to finance your studies. You better find a (legal) solution. I would not recommend the way a lot of other students finance themselves with illegal work because you can get deported and blacklisted as well.

My girlfriend is on a studentvisa now for the last 2 years.Does this mean she can work 16 hours a week.She is studying at the chinese language institute in Taipei.They dont give student ARC there.What or where must we go to apply for her ARC and if she cant get one,what do you tell the goverment if they catch you working in Taiwan.She is not working at the moment,but if she can work 16 hours a week,it would be great.

According to the “Regulations Governing Foreign Student Work Permits and Employment”, a foreign student is considered as to be enrolled at a public or private university or college. In other ords, if your girlfriend does not study at an university approved by the Ministry od Education, there is -so far as I understand the rules- no way to get an student work permit.