Question: Do people in Taiwan have any passion?

…About anything. I hope th answer is not LV bags or money, family well that’s worldwide? As a former resident that now lives in Italy I sometimes come back on my way to another country. This was the third time. I miss the food and a few great friends I made, (love Italian food though)! As I spent a few years here and still visit this forum sometimes.

Still I always felt that while friendly the people were only passionate about politics and designer goods. Where I live now it’s endless. Football, wine, women, cars, art, the outdoors. Yeah, Italians complain about the economy and sometimes have the attitude of, meh whatever. But you can feel it, they can go on for hours and you can really sense the love.

My Italian friend Alex came with me on our way to Japan on my last vist in April. He did not know much about Taiwan. His impression after we spent 5 days in Taiwan (yes it’s short). The girls are pretty, but kinda dull inside, the boys, funny, the people, friendly but work too much and are kind of robotic, there is a lack of confidence in the average person and …(His words) “No passion”? “Why? Even you crazy Americans have passion.” " Every where I’ve been they have it, Kenya, Ireland, Brazil France, but here no feeling." In Japan he says they have it, but they hide it 9 to 5. but they can party!

Just wondering for you still in Taiwan, do you see or feel it for anything but goods? i have to sadly
admit. I did not.

Ciao amici :smiley:

Rub the ride places and they have passion.

:blush:

What are the three shortest books ever written?
The German book of humor
The English guide to love making

And finally but not relevant really to this:

The Italian book of war heroes

People who are reserved can still be passionate… maybe they just don’t show it or express it to everyone. I know a couple of Germans who are quite humorous when you got to know them. My friend’s girlfriend is English and while I can’t give her a reference, he would give her a glowing one

People tell me Irish people are not passionate but are fiery and short tempered

politics. food. etc.

I think the Taiwanese are a cautious people, for whatever reason. Cautious and Passionate is difficult to combine.

Passionate about computer games, sleeping, money and fashion (but terrible at it)

Don’t be silly and racist. Of course they do.

Passionless, yes. Sapped of all vigor by that terrible scourge - opium!

But seriously, they love money. Oh, and gambling (wait on, that’s money), and they love getting into business (money again). And opium.

Complaining.

One of their biggest passions, noise and the making of it and yes there are people with other passions out there too but that’s the one the most of them share, not even air pollution (aka burning ghost money) or practicing supersticiousness comes close to that.

they have serious competition right here,in the Philippines… :noway:

would be interesting to see who tops who in the next Noise Olympics!

Sad to say, I think not. Money yeah, but as for “life” and or hobbies besides PC games and $$$. I don’t see it. A lot of local people walk the earth like, as your friend said row-botz! 1 or 2 of my female Taiwanese friends do, but what do ya expect they study and work and…well?

Too bad, but true for the most part.

Wife is passionate about

1. TV TV TV TV
  2. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  3. her family
  4. children
  5. dogs

I am passionate about…

1. MY WIFE

So all is well…

Let’s see… if I worked 80 plus hours a week and had spent the first 20 years of my life being constantly hammered scholastically by an overbearing and face obsessed mother, only to graduate into the real world and get an office job at a shit company run by a door knob with no qualifications other than the fact that he lives by the motto “cha bu duo” and then have the extreme good fortune to be forced into a marriage that my mother approves of rather than one I desire, ultimately leading to my daily rage filled drive to and from work, which lets me escape from my harpie of a new wife and the shrew of a mother, who I actually still live with at 39 years old, and who is now making the lives of my own children a hellish existence of 12 hour school days and constant berating to get better test scores… if this was my life how much passion would I have left?

How much passion was I ever allowed to have?

I think Taiwanese are REALLY passionate when they are trying to fuck people over, or find new ways to do so…

[quote=“shifty”]Let’s see… if I worked 80 plus hours a week and had spent the first 20 years of my life being constantly hammered scholastically by an overbearing and face obsessed mother, only to graduate into the real world and get an office job at a shit company run by a door knob with no qualifications other than the fact that he lives by the motto “cha bu duo” and then have the extreme good fortune to be forced into a marriage that my mother approves of rather than one I desire, ultimately leading to my daily rage filled drive to and from work, which lets me escape from my harpie of a new wife and the shrew of a mother, who I actually still live with at 39 years old, and who is now making the lives of my own children a hellish existence of 12 hour school days and constant berating to get better test scores… if this was my life how much passion would I have left? How much passion was I ever allowed to have?
…[/quote]
You have just summarized the life of probably more than half the population of adult Taiwanese. Very sad, but very true.
To say that “Taiwanese people don’t have passion” would be a false statement and could be corrected by stating “A large majority of adult Taiwanese just don’t know what passion is.”

But why should we have passion? It’s not a subject at school. Are there any buxibans teaching passion classes? No. So how can you expect us to have passion. We don’t know what it is. Ai yooooo! Foreigners don’t understand Chinese culture.

Those people who worship Mazu are very passionate about their religion, especially during the annual pilgrimage.

Some Taiwanese are passionate about work in the way Italians are passionate about football. They are certainly passionate about food ! But I have to agree, working with Taiwanese for many years my biggest fear is that I will become as much as a robot as many of the people at work.
People here are very shy in expressing their feelings, so while there may be a volcano of ‘passion’ underneath’, you just don’t see it. Due to the culture and bad economy they are often afraid of showing anything that might make the boss be displeased. It make’s for a boring work and social environment.

[quote=“igorveni”][quote=“shifty”]Let’s see… if I worked 80 plus hours a week and had spent the first 20 years of my life being constantly hammered scholastically by an overbearing and face obsessed mother, only to graduate into the real world and get an office job at a shit company run by a door knob with no qualifications other than the fact that he lives by the motto “cha bu duo” and then have the extreme good fortune to be forced into a marriage that my mother approves of rather than one I desire, ultimately leading to my daily rage filled drive to and from work, which lets me escape from my harpie of a new wife and the shrew of a mother, who I actually still live with at 39 years old, and who is now making the lives of my own children a hellish existence of 12 hour school days and constant berating to get better test scores… if this was my life how much passion would I have left? How much passion was I ever allowed to have?
…[/quote]
You have just summarized the life of probably more than half the population of adult Taiwanese. Very sad, but very true.
To say that “Taiwanese people don’t have passion” would be a false statement and could be corrected by stating “A large majority of adult Taiwanese just don’t know what passion is.”[/quote]

I like Igor’s take on this. Still, I see a lot of hope in the younger generation that haven’t grown up in poverty and felt the need to work 70-hour weeks. I also see some retired guys out there that seem to have their hobbies/passions.

I think you could bring your Italian friend to a baseball game, or Cloud Gate dance performance and show them some of the best of Taiwan’s passion.

At my local park there is an old guy that brings different musical instruments and plays them well. He lets the kids have a go and rides around the neighborhood on his bicycle with a broad smile on his face.

Down the block is another guy in his 60s that I had assumed was a dullard. Then he invited me and the kids into his apartment. He has over a thousand planes, most of which he built himself. He goes out to the riverside park in the mornings and flies his radio-controlled jobbies. He gave my kids free wooden windups after we’d had tea and a little chat. Passion and obsession are close at times.

Go to Da -An park any Sunday; check out Bubble Guy. Near the sandbox in the playground, this guy organizes games and bubble-blowing for the youngsters.

Think about how many more people NOW (than say . . . 20 years ago) are into dance, swimming, yoga, travel, bicycling . . .

OK

I get frustrated when I ask people what their hobbies are. When they say, “Music”, I’ll ask what kind. “Jazz.” OK do you have a favorite group, musician singer . . . ? “Dou Keyi.”

Really? It doesn’t matter if it’s Kenny G or Miles Davis?

Other people tell me they like reading books. Really? Who’s your favorite author?/What’s the best book you’ve ever read? “GEE I never thought about it.” Really? YOU told ME that this was your hobby/passion in life and NOW you’re telling me you can’t think of ONE book? (Maybe it turns out they read business magazines)

One thing to remember is that the “westerners” in Taiwan are not a cross-section of the population back home. In the US, maybe a third of the adult population has a University degree and perhaps that many have ever been abroad.

I’m not saying that we are the “crem de la crem.” We’re not! But I’m guessing 98% of us have a bachelor’s degree and are outgoing enough to have made it half way around the globe. We tend to remember the more memorable folks back home and forget about all the boring people. It’s selective memory. You are just forgetting most of the people that you SHOULD not waste memory on. I remember the go-getters and weirdos. If you don’t believe me, (I’m sure you do.) take a look at your old high school class list. Who had you forgotten? What were THEIR passions? How exciting would it be to invite your friend out for a weekend with THOSE people?