Quick Time

I’ve been working on some Quick Time videos for a teaching website and would like to protect some of them from being downloaded (or at least I want to have the option to do this). I found a good tutorial online that explains what code to add to the HTML. No problem. I can do this. However, as with many computer issues I only know half the solution (or problem). I can’t figure out how to view the Quick Time files in HTML. Any suggestions here?

Have all the tech people gone away for Chinese New Year? Or is there really no help for this rather simple request? I hope it’s the former. Anyone, please.

Well what do you mean by viewing the Quicktime mov in HTML? Do you want it embedded into an HTML page or you just missing the browser plug-in?

-B

The link below offers all of the info you need to do what you want to.

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/quicktimeintro/tools/

If you have other questions regarding QuickTime or Macs in general, please feel free to contact me (roc@citizenmac.com).

I had just about given up on a reply.

Thanks for the link Roc. I’ll try it out. Unfortunately, I don’t have a mac, so most of the software is useless to me. Maybe I should be doing my slideshows with different software. But then it’s really simple with QuickTime.

Ronin, I’m not sure about your questions either. Basically I want to know how to do what I said I wanted to do: protect the slideshow files from being downloaded.

Mucha Man,

Sort of a newbie myself, but would this be the same as disabling ‘right click’ so that people can’t view the code or save a photo?

How else would you save a file like that? And I guess another question to the pros would be if you used a script to disable right click, would that keep people from using the drop down menu and choosing Save As?

If this is the same thing, I know Bravenet had a free script available in their Webtools. Except that they’re down for some heavy duty maintenace right now.

I’m sure one of the other script sites will have something like that.

Jennifer

Originally posted by Jennifer:

quote[quote]If you used a script to disable right click, would that keep people from using the drop down menu and choosing Save As?[/quote]

Scripts that disable right clicks are easy to work around. People could simply turn off Javascript in their browsers. Or they could look at the source code for the location of the file and download it directly.

Absolute protection from copying by others isn’t a possibility in the Web of today.

I’m not sure what to suggest for Mucha Man. Perhaps use RealPlayer and SMIL to stream something. But that’s a lot of trouble, esp. for a newbie. If you’re worried about people lifting your content, you could always place your website’s name and copyright info where they’ll be visible whenever the Quicktime (or whatever other) file is viewed. That way there’s no doubt about the source if someone tries to appropriate it and use it elsewhere.

You’re probably right Cranky. I know someone who knows someone who somehow found a way to attach a virus when someone rightclicks to lift something off his site.

Jennifer

Thanks to everyone for their help. Here is the pageI found before with information on how to protect a QuickTime file from being downloaded. As it says, it will not protect a determined viewer, but then how many of us are that determined or capable? I guess my question is, how to I view the QuickTime file on a html page? I have uploaded the files to my site, but all I can view in html is the link to the QuickTime file, not the file itself.

To make things even harder to copy, try the following site using javascript. It actually does the work for you. Just make the pop up window not have the tool bar, menu bar, and all that other junk and it will make it harder to save your video files.

http://javascript.internet.com/generators/popup-window.html

Mark

Heya Mucha Man,

Um, did you actually create an html page with the Quicktime movie embedded in it? Look at the second to last image in the URL you posted below. It shows you the HTML code you need to make this happen. You need to create a .html file with that code in it and upload that to your site.

-B

quote:
Originally posted by Mucha Man: Thanks to everyone for their help. Here is the [url=http://www.cbtcafe.com/QuickTime/kioskmode/index.html]page[/url]I found before with information on how to protect a QuickTime file from being downloaded. As it says, it will not protect a determined viewer, but then how many of us are that determined or capable? I guess my question is, how to I view the QuickTime file on a html page? I have uploaded the files to my site, but all I can view in html is the link to the QuickTime file, not the file itself.