Quit smoking, now I'm kind of fat

About a year ago I quit smoking. It’s been difficult, but I feel great both physically and mentally.
The problem is that I’ve gained about 6 kg in the process. I’ve gotten a little tired of my girlfriend pointing out that now my breasts are larger than hers (even though she’s right).
I’m at the gym three times a week doing cardio work, I eat lightly, but still I’m fat.
Is this normal and will it pass, or do I have to resort to diet pills (which I really don’t want to get into)?

It will pass. I got seriously fat. I gained about 25% of my body weight. It was pathetic. It took me almost 2 years to get back to normal and I was SO discouraged. I will admit that I am not as small as I was before, but at 165 cm, I weigh less than 50 kg. So I lost a lot of it.

I had gotten up to 65 kg…

6 extra KG isn’t all THAT bad. You should also remind your girlfriend that her being negative is going to be more destructive to your weight loss goals than productive.

That is so true! You can ask your girlfriend if she wants you to be skinny and smoking or a little heavy and healthy. I asked my SO this and she saw the light very quickly. Best of luck! :slight_smile:

You quit smoking and that’s the most important thing. Fat is nothing. You already work out and eat well.

Being FAT is a convention of our “modern” civilization.

It’s really no big deal as long as your circulatory system and bones can take it. Rest easy.

All things will pass.

Keep it up!

When I quit smoking, I did not get fat. I’m within 5 pounds of what I used to be and it’s been a year and a half. I didn’t suddenly become an exercise freak either. Not everybody gains weight.

And it’s not like I have one of those naturally high metabolisms - I could easily pork up if I wanted to.

I know that this post won’t help the OP, but I post it because no one ever mentions how they stayed around the same weight. If potential quitters just hear that side of it, it’s not exactly impetus to forge ahead and quit.

[quote=“mixedvegetables”]When I quit smoking, I did not get fat. I’m within 5 pounds of what I used to be and it’s been a year and a half. I didn’t suddenly become an exercise freak either. Not everybody gains weight.

And it’s not like I have one of those naturally high metabolisms - I could easily pork up if I wanted to.

I know that this post won’t help the OP, but I post it because no one ever mentions how they stayed around the same weight. If potential quitters just hear that side of it, it’s not exactly impetus to forge ahead and quit.[/quote]

That is an excellent point and one well worth repeating. Anyone who’s attempting to quit smoking or thinking of it shouldn’t for a second be put of by the weight gain thing. It varies from person to person, some experience none at all, and mine has been relatively small.
I think that the better thing to consider is this; what’s easier to to get rid of; a few extra pounds, or scarring, or worse of the lungs?

I find that you do return to your pre-quitting weight, but increased exercise helps the course of nature.