Quitting a job

I have wanted to quit my teaching job for quite some time, but there are many variables to consider and I want to think it through. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it such as the timing, whether or not to give a notice, how long of a notice to give, the reason(s) I give for leaving. I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

My biggest concern has been that if I leave I will not get paid. If I just walked away on payday, I will not have all my salary because the school pays each month for the previous month’s work. I am not the kind of person to just walk away without giving notice (although I sure have been tempted to!). I think it is courteous to give a notice, but then I know I will be treated even worse for the remainder of my time, and I fear they would not pay me for all the days I worked (they are like that), and I really doubt I would get any attendance or performance bonuses even if I earned them, because they would be bitter I am breaking the contract.

I did speak to someone at the Council of Labor and they said the schools are required to pay you for all your work even if you do quit. Some that I talked to made me feel encouraged that they would help me get my money if the school didn’t pay me all of it, and another said that it all depends on the reason you quit - the reasons have to fit the laws of the country or something like that. They also said that it can take quite a while if they have to get involved to get money, and the school can take you to court for breaking the contract. Anyway, I just don’t know how much help the C of L really would be. Does anyone have experience with this?

I read a law that a school cannot withhold any money, such as a penalty for breaking a contract. I am wondering, is it common for schools to take teachers to court to get this money? And is it even legal for them to charge you for quitting?

One reason I haven’t quit is because I know it is best to secure another job first, but it has not been a good time to find jobs as it is mid-semester. Also, I am so busy with my current job I don’t have the time to put into job hunting or interviewing. I am afraid to quit and then not find a job before my work permit is cancelled and I have to leave the country. I hear so many different things about how much time you have once your ARC is cancelled. Does anyone have personal experience with this?

Is official payday the only time one can get money if they quit, or does the school have to pay you what is owed to you on whatever day is your last day?

I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

The traditional excuse is some kind of family tragedy. This usually serves its purpose in keeping every party happy. If the school tries to play dirty the CLA will back you and you will win, IME at least.

I’m not sure what advice you want regarding quitting your job without finding a new one, though. You don’t have time to look for a new position and, quite rightly IMO, consider this time of year a bad time to be looking. I don’t think anyone can advise you about that - you’re either going to have to take a risk and quit, or bite the bullet and stick with your current job until you find something better. There’s no perfect answer as far as I can see.

I don’t have any personal experience. However, I would advise you to assume ten working days from when it is cancelled. I believe that this may be in the process of being extended, but for the time being assume 10 days.

No and no.

However, with regards to the second “no” you did sign a contract accepting that you would pay a charge of some sort for quitting before the end of your contract. The school is not allowed to have a clause in its contracts for witholding any money owed to you under CLA regulations, so if you complain to the CLA the school will cough up. The school could theoretically then take legal measures to get the money you agreed to pay them as breach of contract. The problem is it would cost them more to do this than they would get from you (two weeks pay? 30-40k or so?). Trust me, they aren’t going to bother. They may threaten to do it but they won’t.

Thank you for responding, tomthorne!

Have any of you left a job without notice, or a short notice and still got paid for every day you worked? Is it our right as teachers to get our pay any day we leave, even if it not officially payday?

If you work at a job less than 12 months, do you need to give 2 weeks notice or 4 weeks?

Does your contract say? Mine says “one month”, but they also have a contract breaking fine, which all previous revolving door teachers have told them to go fuck themselves about. I feel like two weeks is the norm though.

I think it’s a month too.
They haven’t honored something in my contract so I’m looking to just quit on their selfish asses.

1 Like

Call the labor bureau. You’ll be far happier with the results than just quitting on them, believe me

3 Likes