RA or TA positions for PhD students at top universities

Hi, just curious what the pay is like for these kinda positions? Trying to decide if I should quit my job or not after getting accepted to a PhD program here

1 Like

Probably buxiban is a better option for you

But I hate buxibans. They make the kids sad.

Also I want to start a research consultancy. So I just feel like a Ra position might be a better fit.

Just need like 50,000 a month

I mean if you get accepted, they’ll tell you the salary/fellowship, right? So just decide it after you get the offer. Although 50000 per month seems high.

They told me I was accepted but they’d release the ta/Ra positions later.

I have to decide soon because my contract ends in july

2 Likes

I imagine that here you’d get a scholarship that covers tuition and fees, maybe a small living stipend, as you say this can probably be known immediately

I doubt RA work is guaranteed. How’s your Chinese?

The RA rate at my university depends on things like education level, generously I guess you might get 400 an hour. And there’s a maximum number of hours, 20 per month rings a bell. That’s 8000 a month.

Check with your uni for specifics, especially chances of actually getting an RA job. RAs tend to get the worst tasks, but you might get something useful, depends in the prof you work for

2 Likes

I think it’s 20 per week right?

Might be, i dont currently have a sponsored project with budget for TAs, so not sure on the specifics

1 Like

I’d say keep your contract for another year, until you get the lay of the land

I wonder if a full time first year Taiwanese professor with a competitive PhD makes 50K per month? There are lots of people who want the RA jobs…

1 Like

Damn you’re probably right about that. It’s my second year here just about to start my third. But I left in 2019 so there was a break in time.

I’m just new to academia here.

If I have to do buxiban I have to do buxiban. Maybe I can teach adults at the very least.

Crazy how low salaries get here

:rofl:

No, sorry that’s not what PhD students will get paid for RA work.

That’s more like a full-time assistant position (i.e. an admin job), which wouldn’t apply to you as you’ll be a student.

Guy

2 Likes

The good thing about the buxiban is that is always an option for you. Flexible hours and hourly rate. Again the ministry requirement for hours worked might get in your way, but you would probably make more than double an RA

1 Like

So should I stay as a full time public school teacher and try to do classes at night? Is that feasible?

Ah ok I see what you mean

The answer to that question will depend on what sort of course offerings NCCU has during the evening.

It’s perfectly reasonable for you to reach out to the admin person / contact person in the department which admitted you to ask if you could see the seminar schedule for the upcoming academic year. Then you’ll know what is possible.

Guy

I mean more like, do you think it’s feasible to work on class work while working a full time gig?

Based on last semesters offerings, it seems like there SHOULD be enough for me to take

As I wrote, find out what’s coming in Fall 2022.

Figure out your budget and your savings (i.e. what you can get away with); has NCCU confirmed any scholarship funding for you?

Then figure out your plan.

Guy

1 Like

Hi yeah but it’s not perfect, basically just no tuition cost. The new classes roll out in July. Like July 12 (if I remember correctly). I called the office they said “don’t worry, we will take care of you” but of course, I’m still a little worried. Actually I even mentioned that my rent is 25,000 a month and they still said not to worry.

But Also, my school has been really good to me. Especially for Taiwan. It is another reason I hesitate. I’m worried, if I quit, will they revert back to archaic ways of treating foreign teachers? If so, I would feel responsible