Rabies outbreak in Taiwan!

1 Like

Was worried for a moment with his thread title.

The poachers that hunt these animals…well…I call it karma if they succumb.

Please vaccinate your pets and if you hike/ spend a lot of time in the mountain wild, you better vaccinate too. Remember there is no cure, only prevention.

And while at it, a tetanus shot might help.

1 Like

hmm. Can’t help wondering if PCR tests are involved here.

I don’t know what you want to say!
I think I go to the hospital because I might have a stroke!

I’m not sure how having a stroke is related to PCR tests. I’m just wondering how they determined that these animals died of rabies, as opposed to one of the many other ways wild animals can die. Maybe their method was entirely valid. And if these are genuine rabies cases, the question arises, “where did it come from?”. Spontaneous generation isn’t a thing.

Given the amount of scaremongering about ‘disease’ that we’ve been subjected to over the past few years, and the obviously-faulty methods used to diagnose disease, it’s hard not to wonder if something is amiss here.

Taiwan has rabies. It is just extremely rare and seems mostly confined to a few species which are not where humans tend to concentrate.

For those of you who are Catholic, if you commit suicide because you are showing symptom of rabies and death is certain, would God hold that against you?

I’m not a religious authority, but many believe that God’s understanding and mercy extend to various circumstances, including mental and physical health challenges. It’s essential to seek guidance from religious leaders or professionals who can provide support and insights tailored to your specific situation.

1 Like

I was waiting to see how long it would take certain posters to politicize the ferret-badgers-with-rabies news.

My bingo card is complete! :blush:

Guy

I assume it is recommended that you let your local religious authority kill you with a crosier, those staves the bishops carry around. Anointed and all and then no concern about suicide?

It’s an intriguing and funny question I certainly didn’t expect to see in this thread

Well, some googling shows that Catholic opposes any euthanasia or assisted suicide over diseases… but I’m also pretty sure they wouldn’t be against palliative care where they just pump you full of drugs so at least you’re sedated the whole time…

If, as @Explant said, rabies is ‘out there’ in Taiwan, why should we give a crap about the fact that the authorities found two animals with rabies? Is that more or less than we would expect? What are we supposed to do about it apart from … ohh, there it is in the article, get your pets vaccinated. Whoever would have guessed.

I’m not suggesting rabies is unimportant. Obviously, it is. Nor am I suggesting rabies vaccines are a bad idea. But there is insufficient information in the article to determine whether something has changed, or whether the authorities simply need to justify their existence (and may be misrepresenting the facts in order to do so, as they have done in the recent past).

If officials don’t want people politicizing things, then they should avoid doing it themselves.

1 Like

Well, one important thing is Taiwan is considered rabies free. Only a handful of countries have this distinction and it is quite important for international trade of animals. Technically, we obviously aren’t rabies free. They find the odd animal in the mountains every now and then.

It is good the announce such things as taiwan has a real issue with things like stray dogs. It would be horrible if it became a thing in lowland areas and with pets.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought.

Indeed. What an awkward conundrum. Schrodinger’s cat may or may not have rabies, and we won’t find out until we run the tests :slight_smile:

One would have thought the obvious solution here would be to not go out looking for animals that might (or might not) have died of rabies. I seem to remember that worked quite well in a different context a few years back :whistle: :see_no_evil:

Realistically, does this announcement reduce the chances of Taiwan’s stray dog population acquiring rabies? I really don’t think it does.

Not everyone is corrupt and/or unethical. Some people want to monitor the spread of diseases. The best cure is prevention, or something like that.

2 Likes

Why? Unless you have a plan in place to act on the information, what’s the point?

This point appears to be hard for some posters to grasp.

Guy

Rabies is mostly transmitted from dogs to humans, particularly in places where there are many stray dogs. Or in some cases from places that eat dogs like in China where dog butchers get it.

You’re more likely to die by getting hit by a truck in Taiwan tbh. It’s not much of a concern unless you’re like actively looking for wild animals.

1 Like

Right, right, “some posters” are just cognitively limited. All I’m saying here is: has anything actually been achieved by publicly announcing that two wild animals might, or might not, have died of rabies? Are they correct about their diagnosis? If they are, is this important news? Are the general public going to get the mistaken impression that there’s a zombie apocalypse on the horizon? It’s not a matter of being corrupt. It’s just that perhaps they don’t have a whole lot of common sense, and unless there’s a good reason for this sort of announcement, maybe they should just confine it to internal memos.