Rabies rating for Taiwan, bringing dog in&out

Does the fact that Taiwan now has Rabies in the wild affect how we bring dogs into Taiwan from the USA, and how it affects us bringing our pets back out into the USA someday?
I live and work in Taiwan now and plan to stay here, my dogs are back home with my Dad in California. I want to bring them here (and they just passed 6 months into the Titer test) so I can now start the paperwork to bring them in, but has anything changed in the procedures? (i’m sure it’s just as full of bureaucratic BS as usual, but I’m just checking).
How about if one day I want to send my dogs back to California with my Dad? Are there different regulations for bringing them to the US once they have been in Taiwan?

I couldn’t find a direct answer to this question here (or google)…

Does anyone know how much is a ticket for a dog, and do I have to be there to send them onto the airplane, or can my dad do it for me, even though neither of us will be flying with them? I had heard a long time ago, that the price is about equivalent to a full-fare economy ticket. I’ll probably be taking them via China Airlines if there are no other recommendations. Could I/Should I have my two dogs flown over in the same kennel? And can they be placed in quarantine together?

Thanks in advance!

Speak to an agent.

Here is one.
喜樂安興業有限公司 PET TOUR 寵物旅遊

莊 淑 芬 Rebeca Chuang

電 話:(02)2511-0776
傳 真:(02)2834-8788
行 動:0918-338287
地 址:104 台北市中山區新生北路二段45巷19號
e-mail:rebeca@pettour.com.tw
網 址:www.pettour.com.tw

anytime any dog come to Taiwan, it is put into quarantine for 21 days. You are responsibly for picking your dog ( s) up from the airport, driving them while accompanied by a quarantine official to the quarantine facility. The cost of the may run up 1000nt per day, per animal. Your vehicle must be large enough to include the cages. There are 3 quarantine offices that you can choose from, Taipei, Taichung, Koushuing ( sp ? ).
Animals are not allowed unaccompanied on a flight. Agents are very expensive… try to find a flight guardian, ( someone who is flying on a flight to Taiwan and will agree to accompany your dogs. ) Direct flights are preferred so the dog doesn’t enter another country that has rabies.
On China Airline, it usually cost 3000 nt for an average sized dog. ( your cage MUST be large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around. Most airlines now insist that the flooring of the cage has a grated sub floor and that pee pads ( bought at pet stores ) are lined on the bottom of the floor, anymore questions… just ask… as I’ve done this before. As for your dogs returning, much is the same, as Taiwan is now consider a rabies country. Suggestion… unless your planning to keep your dogs here forever… leave them with dad, and adopt a stray or two. This procedure is very expensive and hard on the animals…

Please don’t subject your dogs to more than one flight. It’s cold, dark and loud in the hull of an airplane, and there are pressure changes and such. One dog I sent to a new home in America “snapped” ostensibly because of the stress of the flight. I would only have them sent here as a last resort if your Dad has given you an ultimatum or something. Even then I’d probably look for a new home in America first.
IF you miss having a pet, please consider fostering. It’s very rewarding and there are so many animals here that need help.

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Please don’t subject your dogs to more than one flight. It’s cold, dark and loud in the hull of an airplane, and there are pressure changes and such. One dog I sent to a new home in America “snapped” ostensibly because of the stress of the flight. I would only have them sent here as a last resort if your Dad has given you an ultimatum or something. Even then I’d probably look for a new home in America first.
IF you miss having a pet, please consider fostering. It’s very rewarding and there are so many animals here that need help.[/quote]

This, this, and this again.

[quote=“sleepingtiger”]anytime any dog come to Taiwan, it is put into quarantine for 21 days. You are responsibly for picking your dog ( s) up from the airport, driving them while accompanied by a quarantine official to the quarantine facility. The cost of the may run up 1000nt per day, per animal. Your vehicle must be large enough to include the cages. There are 3 quarantine offices that you can choose from, Taipei, Taichung, Koushuing ( sp ? ).
Animals are not allowed unaccompanied on a flight. Agents are very expensive… try to find a flight guardian, ( someone who is flying on a flight to Taiwan and will agree to accompany your dogs. ) Direct flights are preferred so the dog doesn’t enter another country that has rabies.
On China Airline, it usually cost 3000 nt for an average sized dog. ( your cage MUST be large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around. Most airlines now insist that the flooring of the cage has a grated sub floor and that pee pads ( bought at pet stores ) are lined on the bottom of the floor, anymore questions… just ask… as I’ve done this before. As for your dogs returning, much is the same, as Taiwan is now consider a rabies country. Suggestion… unless your planning to keep your dogs here forever… leave them with dad, and adopt a stray or two. This procedure is very expensive and hard on the animals…[/quote]

Sorry nearly everything in this is incorrect.
Animals coming directly from rabies free countries with pet passports do not require quarantine.
Dogs are allowed unaccompanied on flights.
The quarantine hospital in Kaoshong picks up your dogs from the airport, if you pay.

riggers said: Sorry nearly everything in this is incorrect.
Animals coming directly from rabies free countries with pet passports do not require quarantine.
Dogs are allowed unaccompanied on flights.
The quarantine hospital in Kaoshong picks up your dogs from the airport, if you pay.

This discussion is about an animal coming from the USA
1.THE USA is NOT rabies free… so quarantine is required…!!
2. Animals are NOT ALLOWED UNACCOMPANIED on flights… if the owner is NOT traveling with them, then an agent is required… which then means the animal is NOT UNACCOMPANIED. Airlines do not want to be responsible for pets and have this rule so pets are not forgotten or fall between the cracks and die, if unattended or forgotten.
3. Most flights come into to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport … NOT Kaoshong… and this service is NOT available there.

I have bought pets here into Taiwan… so I speak from my own experience… I have also been a flight guardian bringing pets out of Taiwan…

I have brought 3 dogs here. All on China Airlines. All unaccompanied. They flew into Taoyuan and as there was no space in Taipei’s quarantine facility, they went to Kaoshong. Who used their airport pick up service to collect them. Your experience may have been different, but I am explaining exactly how I got my dogs here, which you are saying is not possible.

Riggers… I stand corrected… and your experience is the 1st time I’ve ever heard of this in all my years here…

[quote=“NonTocareLeTete”]Please don’t subject your dogs to more than one flight. It’s cold, dark and loud in the hull of an airplane, and there are pressure changes and such. One dog I sent to a new home in America “snapped” ostensibly because of the stress of the flight. I would only have them sent here as a last resort if your Dad has given you an ultimatum or something. Even then I’d probably look for a new home in America first.
IF you miss having a pet, please consider fostering. It’s very rewarding and there are so many animals here that need help.[/quote]

I don’t know about that, some airlines have heated, pressurized compartments when transporting animals.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

sleeping tiger maybe its a recent thing I came 18 months ago.

perhaps your right… I transported my dogs 10 years ago…

As far as I know, domestic animals CAN travel unaccompanied as cargo. HOWEVER, you MUST be present to pick them up and sign the release from the airport cargo facility as well as accompany the quarantine staff to the quarantine facility with your pet. This is usually in Taipei, although I have heard of animals coming in through Kaohsiung as well. All of this can be arranged over the phone with the airline and the quarantine center.

Exotic animals (anything that’s not a cat or dog) goes to a special quarantine facility in Xizhi, outside of Taipei, but the process is the same.

We did this 5 years ago, and when we called to confirm the process last year it had not changed.

I would like some clarification if possible as this thread seems to waver a bit.

Simajie --> You seem to have checked into this the most recently so maybe you have some more current insight. I understand that California is rabies free and that is where my girlfriend will be coming from in October. She wants to bring her two small (20lbs) dogs. Will they need to be quarantined?

Also, will they have to travel as cargo or is there any version where they can travel with her so they are not cooped in a kennel under cargo for 13hrs (more actually)?

I really appreciate any assistance or if someone can point me in the direction of any website for details.

Talk to the airline. They should have the requisites up to speed. Something like this: evaair.com/en-us/check-in-ba … with-pets/

As said, the problem now is not only taking the dogs in, but also out.

Hi there … how did you get in contact with the quarantine facilty to organise the stay prior to entry?

Thanks

Thanks for everyone’s comments. the process was a little more convoluted than discussed here in terms of procedures and documents, but in concept the same.
My dogs are still here with me in Taiwan and doing well.
The process WAS traumatic, it took 3 months for my dogs to return to ‘normal’, but part of that was them acclimating to living in an apartment in Taipei (I have a patio with grass, and I take them to work with me where they roam the office everyday).

They flew in the heated cargo compartment. I actually got the paperwork for them to fly as companion dogs, but China Airlines did not accept it for multitude of reasons, anyway, it was not possible to have 2 companion dogs. I met my dad and my 2 dogs at the airport, signed them off, then paid to have them brought to the Taichung quarantine station. I chose Taichung quarantine station because they allowed more open scheduling for visits and I visited my dogs more than once a week, and was able to spend quite a long time with them every visit. This wouldn’t have been possible with the Taipei station.
I contacted the quarantine station directly to arrange everything.
As this was more than 5 years ago now, I don’t know if any of the procedures are still relevant. FYI, at the time, Taiwan was internationally considered as a Rabies zone, however Taiwan themselves considered themselves as rabies-free, hence the full 21-day quarantine was in-effect. I don’t know what the situation is now.
Thanks for everyone’s comments. It was an expensive and emotionally traumatic experience, but in the end, I believe it was worth it!
03|666x500