Racial Tensions in US 2020

COVID is making us all forensic experts in our minds.

2 Likes

This is pretty early

Looks like he had a record

A post was split to a new topic: From arrests

Yeah, and so? How does that relate to this guy being shot in Georgia? :idunno:

From TG’s link:

Evidence being gathered includes security surveillance video from the home under construction, as well as surveillance video from other homes in the neighborhood, Barnhill said.

They should have that video by now.

In December 2013, Arbery was arrested by Glynn County Schools Police after bringing a handgun into the Brunswick High gymnasium during a basketball game with rival Glynn Academy, according to reports. Arbery, then 19, ran when a schools police officer saw the .380 caliber handgun in his waistband. A schools police officer broke his hand in the pursuit of Arbery, who was charged with carrying a weapon on campus and several counts of obstructing a law enforcement officer. He was sentenced to five years’ probation as a first offender, county court records show.
Arbery also was placed on probation for a 2018 shoplifting arrest, according to county court records.
Arbery was a promising football player as a student at Brunswick High, recording 70 tackles in 2011 during his senior year with the Pirates. He was chosen to play in the 2012 Georgia/Florida All-Star game.

7 years ago is a long time. His probation should have been over and done with. Shoplifting two years ago. Meh :idunno: :idunno:

And the last sentence is just so…America. His HS football stats.

2 Likes

I don’t know, it’s all part of a picture of a mystery. Why would he attack a guy with a shotgun? Why would they just shoot the guy? Then there’s this SPLC view

You would have to be totally nuts to attack a guy with a shotgun a gun that can take down a large wild animal. Almost zero chance to come out on top.

Here’s the local news:

Feb 24

Feb 26

April 2

April 29
https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/local_news/dispatcher-what-was-he-doing-wrong/article_fe51cdd4-3bb6-5815-9dec-ddcdc8f879f8.html

From the last article:
911 call:

Both callers to 911 that day reported seeing Arbery running. The identities of the callers were redacted from the transcript of the 911 call provided The News.

Arbery had been seen recently on surveillance video in the neighborhood, according to the first caller. Neither call specifies a crime Arbery might have committed.

“There’s a guy in the house right now; it’s under construction,” the man told the dispatcher.

The man then gave her an address.

“And you said someone’s breaking into it right now?” the dispatcher asked.

“No,” the man replied, “it’s all open. It’s under construction … “

The man interrupted to say Arbery was leaving. “And there he goes right now.”

“Ok,” the dispatcher said, “What is he doing?”

“He’s running down the street,” the man said. The next sentence is garbled.

“That’s fine,” the dispatcher said. “I’ll get (police) out there. I just need to know what he was doing wrong. Was he just on the premises and not supposed to be?”

The next sentence is garbled. “And he’s been caught on camera a bunch at night. It’s kind of an ongoing thing. The man building the house has got heart issues. I think he’s not going to finish it.”

“Ok, that’s fine,” the dispatcher said. “And you said he was a male in a black T-shirt?”

“White T-shirt,” the man said. “Black guy, white T-shirt. He’s done run into the neighborhood again.”

The next 911 call from Satilla Shores came in at 1:14 p.m.

“I’m out here at Satilla Shores,” the man said. “There’s a black male running down the street.”

“Where at Satilla Shores?” the dispatcher asked.

“I don’t know what street we’re on,” the man replied.

“Stop!” he can be heard shouting. “Watch that. Stop, damn it! Stop!”

That call went blank for several minutes, with the dispatcher trying several times to reach the caller. The call eventually hangs up.

2 Likes

I changed the title to deport the word while because it caused humour as there was nothing funny about the case

No the case is very fishy and smells of a cover up

I don’t think it’s legal anywhere in the USA to go hunting for anyone and killing them even if the person being hunted decided to re arrange your face because you were after him or her while armed

There was nothing humorous in the previous title that I saw. :idunno:

This one seems pretty iffy to me.

Watch where you jog if you be black
:noway:

3 Likes

Yeah I think the neutral one will work well here.

2 Likes

I wanted to identify a bit with how a black friend of mine might say this . And he would be saying it purposely in this manner so as to augment the feeling of racial divide

Because racism played a big role in this incident

If the person was white he may not have been shot

Ps. Therefore a title of. ‘ Man chased and shot while jogging ‘. Would not dig at the racism involved

I could change it to ‘ Black man chased and shot while jogging ‘ while being factual has no emotional content

I don’t think that has been determined. Be nice if the process would be allowed to play through.

3 Likes

So you want to set an emotional narrative down. Gotcha.

Your point taken at Face value but the caller did say Black man in a white T-shirt so the race was identified

Now whether there was anything racial there other than a straight ID perhaps not

Chinese man in a white tshirt etc

But a lot of black people seem to be shot in a situation where a white person may not in my view

Granted the view is that blacks are involved in a lot of crime in the USA but that really may be due to where a lot of them stand economically

White people tend to back down in public verbal and physical confrontations.

But there are some question marks here that may make it different than a simple case of a guy jogging through a neighborhood. Or maybe not. But as noted the process needs to play out a bit more before maybe we can know that.

2 Likes

True that
Maybe working in Oakland so many years made me more black Aware perhaps but the stats do point to more people shot being black for various reasons some justified many not

On that note:

Indeed and I too shall proceed to the head

Ok I changed the title again to reflect more on the possible facts in this case and took the race of the ‘runner’ out

The jogger May in fact be a runner

1 Like