Racism in taiwan: What shocks me is the outrage on this forum

People singing Adebayor should have died on that bus. Lennon and co called monkeys by Italians 8 days ago. Suarez guilty. Terry guilty.
Widespread.
Common.
Sad.

Yes but they get censured fined and imprisoned especially if in the public eye. They have a high probability of losing their job. That’s what I mean by open versus hidden racism. Of course racism still exists in the West but to a lesser degree and in a more secretive form, football yobs excepted.

I can only agree here. Subversion is key when you are west. I feel so sad when friends are racist here in England. I’ve told them off so many times. My parents have happily changed. Hope springs.

Sorry to come into this late, but i was interested in reading this thread and was curious about your statistic. I have tried to google it, and the ‘Since 2000…’ sentence actually comes up verbatim on a couple of other blogs/forums, but none of them supply an actual source to verify it.

Anyway, if it is true, then 4200 complaints over 12 years would mean 350 per year.

There are 38 000 race/color complaints per year. eeoc.gov/eeoc/statistics/enf … harges.cfm

The 350 complaints related to unions amount to 0.92% of all the complaints.

Therefore, the 11.4% of workers that are unionized are responsible for only 0.9% of the racial vilification complaints.

I may have missed something, but on the surface, i can’t see how that statistic supports your contention that union workplaces are comparatively more racist than non-unionized ones.

Chewy is ideologically opposed to unions as part of a general right wing view of the world. Stats and evidence don’t play into that.

Maybe one thing that occurs to me: what percentage are complaints by union employees? To make a serious comparison, we’d have to have some idea of those percentages.

Employment figures here from 2010:

census.gov/econ/susb/

If I’m reading these right, of a total 111,970,095 employed persons in the US, 161,685 are employed by labor unions. That’s about .14%. Either labor unions are hotbeds of racism or a considerable % of complaints are made by membership. I can’t imagine there’s any way to know for sure. Anyway, in the context which you provided 1% doesn’t seem like a very damning percentage.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]

Maybe one thing that occurs to me: what percentage are complaints by union employees? To make a serious comparison, we’d have to have some idea of those percentages.

I can’t imagine there’s any way to know for sure.[/quote]

Yeah, that occured to me as well - is it just internal complaints made by union staff against other staff? But as you say, without verification of the original statistic, it’s all just conjecture. Any chance the OP could post the link for the source of the stats so we could check?

[quote=“dulan drift”][quote=“Tempo Gain”]

I can’t imagine there’s any way to know for sure.[/quote]

Yeah, that occured to me as well - is it just internal complaints made by union staff against other staff? But as you say, without verification of the original statistic, it’s all just conjecture. Any chance the OP could post the link for the source of the stats so we could check?[/quote]

I read about the original stats on these sites:
laborunionreport.com/portal/ … -unabated/
archive.uniondemocracy.org/UDR/1 … nation.htm
unionfacts.com/article/unfai … practices/
zh.scribd.com/doc/52706609/IUOE- … ent-Decree

[quote=“ChewDawg”]
I read about the original stats on these sites:
laborunionreport.com/portal/ … -unabated/
archive.uniondemocracy.org/UDR/1 … nation.htm
unionfacts.com/article/unfai … practices/
zh.scribd.com/doc/52706609/IUOE- … ent-Decree[/quote]

I still can’t find the actual source that compiled the statistic from any of those, but it does say this in the 3rd one (though it doesn’t mention the 4200 figure that you quoted):

That would suggest that the 350 complaints per year for racial discrimination does in fact refer to the 11.4% of the workforce who are union members making complaints against their reps.

Which accounted for 0.9% of all racial discrimination complaints made.

To look at it another way, 350 complaints per year from 14. 8 million workers (2011 fig) (bls.gov/news.release/union2.nr0.htm) - or one complaint for every 42 286 workers.

To be honest, i would be very surprised if the figure was that low, hence my interest in checking the source. As it stands, it wouldn’t seem to be supportive of your contention that unions are more racist than other sections of society.