🚆 🚌 Railways/Bus | Overnight sleeper trains or buses with beds in Taiwan?

I live in KH and need to be at TPE for a 6:30am flight. Are there overnight sleeper trains or buses with beds that run from KH to TPE? Or will I have to sleep sitting up?

3 Likes

In response to the thread question: no, there aren’t.

If you have booked a 6:30 am flight (ouch!), then you are supposed to check in around 4:30 am right? Either spend the night before at a hotel near TPE or if you insist take the last HSR north the night before and camp out at the airport.

Just typing those words makes me feel tired. :upside_down_face:

Guy

3 Likes

I was afraid of that.

I am leaning toward staying at a hotel near TPE but camping at the airport might not be a bad idea either. I just don’t know if those airport seats have those pesky armrests separating them, preventing people from laying flat.

This may be helpful as you consider your options (keeping in mind it was posted before COVID disrupted the scene):

Guy

3 Likes

Yes there is. The Ho Hsin buses.

2 Likes

They have big plush seats.

I’ve never seen lie flat though.

Guy

They recline back very far. Almost flat.

1 Like

Is there some plausible schedule to get the OP from Kaohsiung to TPE for a 4:30 am arrival?

Guy

Take Ho Hsin buses. They recline back very far and I use them often to sleep on overnight trips to Kaohsiung to save money. They are more expensive at about $700ish from Kaohsiung Main Station to Taipei Main Station

From there, you’d take one of the night buses to the airport.

4 Likes

Kaohsiung Main to Taipei Main using recliner buses.

Night bus from Taipei Main using KuoKuang to Airport.

Here’s a photo of what the Ho Hsin recliner seats look like. Well, according to their website. Can you verify @Marco?

http://www.ebus.com.tw/ebus/information01.html

This is a possible route yes but with significant backtracking.

It also sounds deeply unfun for a 4:30 am airport arrival.

Guy

4 Likes

Yeah, basically the 14 seaters.

1 Like

It’s pretty unfun when the only practical airport nationwide is Taoyuan.

Otherwise you can transfer at Chungli. Bus comes once an hour though. I think they will help you plan it if you go to the storefront and ask.

Oh nice! This is exactly what I’m looking for. Too bad they don’t go straight to the airport though huh.

A bit off topic but–at last!–a positive for living in Taoyuan :grinning:

5 Likes

You need to ask so take this with a grain of salt. Many buses on their way north, but not south, stop for a few minutes in Chungli for airport transfers.

You could do that, or simply go to TPE Main and backtrack.

yeah sounds like a lot of rushing around. I would just get a hotel in taoyuan

4 Likes

This is a good option too.

That’s what I ended up doing. Made a reservation for the City Suites for $2k for the night. It’s a short taxi ride away from both the Taoyuan HSR stop and TPE.

4 Likes