Raising a foreign child in Taiwan

I have a child who has just turned six. The kindergarten (Chinese language, mostly) is turning him out because he’s now too old. I am afraid of the public school system here and its draconian style of treatment towards students.

I’d like to hear from others who have either conceived and raised (or are in the process) or brought over their children from home and what the experience has been like. What are my options, and what do you think of my options?

He speaks Chinese fairly well, and has a grounding in bo po mo. I don’t expect we’ll be here forever, or even much longer, so I’d like him to be able to fit back in when we go home to N. America, without losing the unique opportunity to be fluent in another language.

Thanks in advance.

Here’s a thread that may interest you [High school options for non-millionaire expats?

I might merge these together later.

I don’t think it is a problem. If he has an ARC, then send him to the local Chinese school for the first few years of elementary school.

As far as “Chinese educated elementary school students” transferring to English language based elementary school systems . . . . I would say give him six months or so and he should be doing OK. That was our experience with our son . . . . he transferred into the English based elementary school system in the second half of 5th grade. He had very limited English language skills at that point . . . . .

What about the whole ‘corporal punishment’ thing that goes on here? I’d be awfully pissed if my kid came home with stories of being hit.

Can anyone speak to this issue?

[quote=“FearsomeOrange”]What about the whole ‘corporal punishment’ thing that goes on here? I’d be awfully pissed if my kid came home with stories of being hit.

Can anyone speak to this issue?[/quote]

My boy just completed grade school here in Taiwan and he never was hit, nor were any of his classmates ever hit.

My daughter is going into the sixth grade at a local school…

Every year, they send a form home asking what sort of punishment the parents feel is ‘appropriate’ for their children…I simply put no corporal punishment, and it’s worked well so far.

However, outside of Taipei, kids are still getting whacked at school left and right with full approval from the parents most of the time…“I can’t control him/her at home” seems to be the leading factor for the continued physical abuse of children in school.

The form to me, in a subtle way, says…‘May we beat your child?’

My son just finished 6th grade here and has had a great time. But then only 7 kids in the class with a great teacher. Corporal Punishment is illegal and any teacher should be reported to the police as well as the school principal.

The educational system at primary school level is fine. But my son won’t be going to the Chinese Junior High school nor Morrisona… whcih personally I think sucks.

He’s off to boarding school back in Australia, which costs less than Morrisons day school.

Your kids will do well with a strong grounding in Chinese when they get back home. They’ll certainly shock the ethnic Chinese living in your own area with their Mandarin and Taiwanese lol

The best bet is to choose a small school where you can get to know the administrators and teachers. There are schools out there where you don’t have to live in the neighborhood to attend.

It tends to be the large/competitive schools where teachers hit their students for not scoring high enough, being disruptive, etc.

I have 2 kids (10 and 8) who will be joining me in 3 months time. I like to send them to a public neighbourhood elementary school (Elem 4 and 2) since i am on local salary package, therefore expensive international schools are out. I like to know what are the procedures and documentation needed to apply for admission.

Are all the subjects taught in Chinese? I am concerned as the kids are educated in English, any help from the school for foreign kids to help them immersed into the class?

Fearsome,

shop around for the best teacher, not school. Try like hell to get him in that class. My son is 5 and is in his second semester of kindergarten. He has two amazing teachers. One more year of kindy and then the whole searching for the best teacher thing starts again.

BTW, my wife and I had a great time chatting you two up and down at the HH; we’d love if you guys came out and paid a visit in Ying Ge. Got a BBQ that can be fired up anytime. :slight_smile:

Good luck.

Fortunately our boy has had great luck with his teachers. His kindie was very child-oriented, with lots of experiential, hands-on learning (much like a Montessori school). His first grade teacher is also a gem.

jdsmith, we also had a great time at the HH. With our busy schedule I don’t know how possible it will be to get to Ying Ge, but at the very least I hope we meet up again sometime! When’s the next weekend HH?? :slight_smile: