Rand Paul's own thread, at last

Just so you can combine all (other) idiot stuff that came out of his mouth.

Oh my, what a coincidence, I was just posting about his wife’s covid stocks in the GOP thread. Not sure what to do, maybe a kindly mod can make a call.

Paul senior had such hope in early 2000s. What has happened?

Big story on Rand Paul, busted not disclosing his wife’s ownership of stock in covid treatment company:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/08/11/rand-paul-gilead-stock/

Sen. Rand Paul revealed Wednesday that his wife bought stock in Gilead Sciences — which makes an antiviral drug used to treat covid-19 — on Feb. 26, 2020, before the threat from the coronavirus was fully understood by the public and before it was classified as a pandemic by the World Health Organization.

The disclosure, in a filing with the Senate, came 16 months after the 45-day reporting deadline set forth in the Stock Act, which is designed to combat insider trading.

Experts in corporate and securities law said the investment, and especially the delayed reporting of it, undermined trust in government and raised questions about whether the Kentucky Republican’s family had sought to profit from nonpublic information about the looming health emergency and plans by the U.S. government to combat it. Several senators sold large amounts of stocks in January or February of last year, prompting a handful of insider-trading probes. Most of those investigations concluded in the spring of 2020, according to notifications from the Justice Department to lawmakers under scrutiny.

Kelsey Cooper, a spokeswoman for Paul, said the senator completed a reporting form for his wife’s investment last year but learned only recently, while preparing an annual disclosure, that the form had not been transmitted

Moved it for you, oddly enough when making the move there are like 4 threads on Rand Paul to choose from.

The apple didn’t just fall from the tree… the apple cart the apple was in exploded and then the shredded remains of the apple was stampeded by some oxen and turned into apple sauce.

2 Likes

First things first, we need to consider the important intellectual requirements. So, what do you think mupsy, is it a toupee?

n-RAND-PAUL-large640

Looks more like a merkin.

1 Like

I had to google it, the image results are pretty awesome

2 Likes

Toupee or not toupee, that is the question.

1 Like

1 Like

More like dog fur, Yorkshire.

Yeah, I probably should have merged them a long time ago. Oh wait… :wink:

And yet despite such reservations, Goldstein at least is confident that all voters can attain the Paul hairdo. This is America.

:rofl:

Paul has grasped as much, emphasizing his authoritative bearing on his online store. “When you wear the Rand Brand, you look good and stand for something bigger than all of us,” the site proclaims. “Liberty. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.”

Whatever happened to the people delivering lines about the swamp in Washington? Seems they’ve decided on radio silence at the most convenient of times.

Later he used having had COVID previously to insist that mask wearing was completely unnecessary, a crusade he’s vigorously doubled down on over the past year and a half, falsely claiming that mask usage is “theater” and that face coverings don’t stop the spread of the virus—the latter of which got him suspended from YouTube this week. He’s also urged people to ignore guidance from public health experts trying to stop the spread of the deadly delta variant and has refused to get vaccinated. Oh, and he’s repeatedly suggested that Dr. Anthony Fauci is essentially responsible for COVID-19 as part of a sustained campaign to undermine confidence in the nation’s top doctors and researchers, while simultaneously trying to convince Americans that COVID, which has killed more than 618,000 people in the U.S. and counting, is nothing to be concerned about.

So it would be really crazy to find out he or someone he’s married to invested in a company that makes a drug used to treat COVID-19—which is probably why he failed to disclose as much for a whopping 16 months. Per The Washington Post :

Senator Rand Paul revealed Wednesday that his wife bought stock in Gilead Sciences—which makes an antiviral drug used to treat COVID-19—on February 26, 2020, before the threat from the coronavirus was fully understood by the public and before it was classified as a pandemic by the World Health Organization. The disclosure, in a filing with the Senate, came 16 months after the 45-day reporting deadline set forth in the Stock Act, which is designed to combat insider trading.

Experts in corporate and securities law said the investment, and especially the delayed reporting of it, undermined trust in government and raised questions about whether the Kentucky Republican’s family had sought to profit from nonpublic information about the looming health emergency

Doesnt really look good…

I’ll take the same approach I used last year when the first batch of these investment stories were released: wait to see what the facts are when they come out. IIRC, in the first batch there wasn’t too much fishy going on…just investment people doing what they were supposed to do. My guy did the same thing without even telling me until after the fact…because that’s what I pay him to do.

2 Likes

Well, the fact is he didn’t disclose it within the time limits of law.

A law, which interestingly enough, Rand voted for himself.

The disclosure comes sixteen months later than is required under the Stock Act, a 2012 law banning insider trading by members of Congress and other government employees that Paul voted for in the Senate nine years ago.

2 Likes

Yeah, modern technology is so weird, you can’t tell if a message or upload went through! :thinking: :roll_eyes:

That happened to me last week where a file I uploaded to Box didn’t go through, and I didn’t know it until someone asked me where it was. Of course, he should be held to a higher standard. As I said, let’s see if there is anything of substance to care about when the facts come out.

1 Like

And not a peep about Pelosi? :roll_eyes:

1 Like