Random questions about Mandarin words/phrases

Taigi is still living in the present as well.

Yes, but how many Taigi speakers write it, and out of those, how many use 个 instead of 個?

Professor Phuann Kho-guân’s blog uses 个 for both the possessive ê and the generic particle ê.

So, basically one person. :grin:

Not just one person, since 个 is also the MOE’s choice for both uses of ê. Professor Phuann is just a very prominent Taigi writer online. The fact that there aren’t more prominent Taigi writers has more to do with the state of written Taigi more than whether people use 个 or not.

Of course there are plenty of people, like me, who would prefer to use lomaji ê.

Thank you, finally! :wink:

Writing Lomaji doesn’t mean it’s not supposed to be 个 when you write Hanji. It’s like writing Nippon, Nihon, にっぽん or にほん doesn’t mean the Kanji isn’t still 日本.

Someone once asked the same thing, but from the opposite direction:

Yahoo奇摩App 你的生活情報入口

2 Likes

contextually the same, the ‘who cares’ question for writers and speakers?

I just thought of another fun alternate: 有差嗎?

1 Like

Honestly? The title can stay in English and translate the rest. You can get the point across without the awkward “who cares” Chinese translation.

2 Likes

Seems a bit off the mark to me… If someone with Chinese as a first language were teaching introduction writing to students, I wonder which one they would choose?

母語人士終於出現了!

In the end I have this:

with a note in pinyin so they can marvel at my bad pronunciation

1 Like

I honestly don’t think you need chinese translation for this page either.

If you really want to sinicise the slides you can easily ignore the english catchphrases and just focus on the idea.

Agreed, it was only ‘who cares’ that I was a bit worried about. I think it is settled now; having me speak the odd bit of Mandarin the goal isn’t to Sinicise the slides as much as for (a) occasional clarity and (b) me modelling teaching using a language that I’m not fluent in. I’m happy with this, the following slide elaborates on the ideas (I went with simple ‘brain warmup’ on that one in the end, no cat picture)

Thanks all for your help!

Pity…that was a good meme.

I thought it looked too confusing, and I’d have to explain “thinking cat”, but it wasn’t wasted because I shared it here!

not using 激發學生的內在基模 is also a bit of a waste but I think @gain is right that ditching the catch phrases in favour of clarity is the smart choice. and too many new words for me. i still love the back translation though :slight_smile:

1 Like

You should still do a couple sentences in wacky laowai Mandarin just to get everybody’s attention though.

Absolutely. I’m thinking in first class Tuesday morning to sit like a student and then ask in Mandarin if anyone knows who the teacher is…