Random ?'s... teaching in Yilan / Ilan / I-lan county

(sorry for those who peruse forumosa AND ESL cafe… this is the same as my post at the cafe…)

Random questions from an appreciative newbie:

Planning on moving to Taiwan soon to teach for at least a year (also looking at Korea opportunities, but Taiwan seems to catch my fancy a little more…). In addition to making some money to pay off loans, I am genuinely interested in stretching myself and really digging in to the local language and culture, as well as partaking in any outdoor adventure I can (river tracing, surfing, climbing, etc.). From what I’ve been able to gather, I-Lan county is less polluted, more for the “outdoors” and “I love culture shock” types, yet still decently close to Taipei so one can receive their Western fix from time to time. For those who know, are these some fair assumptions? Any other reccommendations on locales?

Is anyone familiar with either of these schools: HESS in loudong and Big Apple’s english center in I-Lan City? I’ve applied through HESS, and also have sort of a connection for this Big Apple’s place.

Next question: Does anyone know of opportunities to study wushu or other martial arts in these areas?

Final question (for now :wink: ): I have some medical experience, and I am very interested in volunteering at a hospital while working in Taiwan… any thoughts on this? Is this plausible at all?

Thanks… any and all info you could offer is greatly appreciated…

R. Duck83-

Where in MN are you–or are you from? I can’t answer any other questions, but as a fellow MN, I was just curious about your origins…come and spread the friendly diaspora scandanavian culture of MN to eastern Taiwan! --pm me if you need some friendly upper-midwestern advice on anything else…please don’t use my number of post as a gauge of my experiences here in Taiwan…I’d be happy to help in any way I can!–

Go Vikes!