Random suggestion #237

Forumosa news.

I don’t know why it was the Housings Classifieds that prompted this thought, but here it is anyway: How about a weekly feature article?

It might be a factual report on some issue of general interest, advertorial by someone launching a new business, a rant, a special forumosa announcement, or something I haven’t heard of.

If you regularly get a multiplicity of articles you could consider making up some kind of e-zine out of it. It could be complementary to, or part of, the co-operation with POTS.

Any budding (or flowering) writers or editors out there? Is it even technically possible?

Great Idea loretta,

I for one would love to be apart of something like that. If this ever gets off the ground or needs help, let me know.

You mean like the front page of Taiwan Ho?

I don’t know what I mean, and I’m not going to get it off the ground. But I think it would be a good idea if anyone else wants to do it.

Probably something very similar anyway.

Yep, I’ve suggested before that we have something like the front page of Taiwan Ho. I think it’s an excellent idea.

I also think we should have those helpful ‘how to’ articles that Tealit has.

Brian

Make the front page a blog.

And blogs can have multiple authors, so it’s really only a matter of deciding who could write regularly and what their “beats” might be, if any

If it’s completey open, like a blog, then it runs the risk of just becoming more forum, with users arguing with each other etc.

Personally I prefer the idea of ‘articles’ that are submitted and then posted by an administrator or moderator. There could be a ‘Submit an article for consideration’ button, and moderator’s could solicit articles by PMing people “that was a great post, would you like to rewrite it as a feature article” etc.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]If it’s completey open, like a blog, then it runs the risk of just becoming more forum, with users arguing with each other etc.

Personally I prefer the idea of ‘articles’ that are submitted and then posted by an administrator or moderator. There could be a ‘Submit an article for consideration’ button, and moderator’s could solicit articles by PMing people “that was a great post, would you like to rewrite it as a feature article” etc.

Brian[/quote]
I agree with Brian. If we asked for articles, we could make them potential candidates for the “Click Here” column in POTS, if the quality of the articles was high enough. That would be an editorial concern at POTS, but at least they would have more stories to choose from…

Funny you say that. I’ve been think about seeing if anyone would want to do some kind of forumosa group blog or something. Seems like it could be interesting.

I’m no blog expert, but I do not believe they are “open” in the way that Wikis are open. At blog systems like Blogger, you have to be a designated author before you can write an entry.

Or are you talking about the commenting? We can easily switch off commenting for blog articles where we do not comments are necessary or appropriate

Funny you say that. I’ve been think about seeing if anyone would want to do some kind of forumosa group blog or something. Seems like it could be interesting.[/quote]
Yep, there are whole websites that are managed using the Movable Type blog system – I once made a version of this website that way (a couple of servers ago). But I ran into trouble keeping track of all the templates :blush: