Rant about weird parent request (teaching English)

Every language has its own readings of its own alphabet.
There’s no alphabet in Chinese. They should follow an already existing reading, not creating a new one! :joy:

2 Likes

No, I mean the Roman alphabet. This should be easy!

I think cultures that speak Chinese should just switch to the Korean alphabet

2 Likes

This is actually a surprisingly astute observation coming from Taiwanese parents (my experience with them as a former English teacher is almost entirely negative). When perfectly good well-qualified English speakers who happen to not be native speakers (including Taiwanese English teachers) are discriminated against, they usually point out the absurdity of the logic by saying that because they had to learn the language themselves, they’re in some respects better equipped to teach it than native speakers. I always found this logic perfectly reasonable, but it usually doesn’t fly with the Taiwanese parents who just want to see a white person teach their kids.

3 Likes

Chinese doesn’t fit very well into any alphabet. Even Korean. There are too few syllables and can get confusing very quickly.

1 Like

I think you make some solid points actually.

I guess I was feeling wary because as much as I respect the local English teachers (they are much better at teaching English as a second language) they do tend to struggle a little with the grammar at times.

But I do think you’re right about being able to communicate the rules more clearly than I can

They didn’t create a new one. KK is based off the IPA (international phonetic alphabet), which is used by linguists and singers across the globe. Older English dictionaries (and a lot of modern dictionary websites, Wikipedia, etc) also use it. The problem is that English, for all its mingling with so many other languages, has its own goddamfucking phonetic system that children learn in English speaking countries. When you learn a new word in your textbook as an elementary child, the word is broken into segments and spelled out phonetically, with the emphasized segment in caps. But the Taiwanese insist on reinventing the wheel/making more work for themselves. So you get parents who want their children to learn KK instead of learning English phonics. Just as you have parents that insist on grammar classes. Ya give your kids proper, authentic, at level language input and they do not need grammar lessons. “But then they wont pass the tests”. Nope, they won’t. But they will learn much better English.

2 Likes

What level exactly? I’m compiling a large database of worksheets and posters that teach magic e, vowel teams, consonant digraphs, silent letters, and vowel blends. I also have stuff about nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.

1 Like

Actually, it does make sense following these assumptions:

Not all native English speakers are qualified to actually teach English.

A native English speaker may just have an instinct regarding the language but may not know how to properly describe grammar.

3 Likes

The problem is that, as a native speaker, you dont need to know grammar. So why should an L2 learner? If you have acquired language, which means you can actually use it as a tool for communication, which is the sole function of language, instead of being taught language, which means you only know the language in theory, you do not need to be explicitly taught grammar. Good teachers do not explicitly teach grammar. They give enough examples of the structure, in a meaningful context, that learners are able to “derive” the grammar the way a quality math lesson allows a learner to “derive” a formula instead of being told what the formula is. In both of these cases, the experience leads to a meaningful understanding of how to use it, instead of simply following rules. This sticks with the learner and allows them to know from experience how to use it, rather than just checking something off a list.

3 Likes

Sorry the level is for advanced students (high school level). Since they’re already fluent that kind of material is too basic.

But for my bilingual class students I think some review of elementary foundations could be helpful

Yeah but you’d hope a licenced teacher (trained in ELA) would be better qualified

I think this is quite untrue. We all are taught grammar extensively in grade school as well. English grammar is taught explicitly to English speakers and it’s pretty clear when English speakers haven’t been taught or don’t understand grammar rules. (In the us people who talk or write this way are often viewed as uneducated)

I think explicit instruction in grammar is indeed important and useful, it just shouldn’t be prioritized. It’s a foundation that is reinforced through context. But it still has to be explicitly taught to some extent

5 Likes

I’m not sure I agree. Grade school involved learning grammar quite intensively where I grew up.

4 Likes

And they’re right. Past generations learned English almost strictly through grammar rules. Hence why you get people who can diagram the s**t out of a sentence or know the difference between a transitive or intransitive verb but cannot maintain a basic conversation.

I don’t think it’s as emphasized as in the past, but even now a lot of English learning is done through grammar instruction, especially at the younger levels. Taiwanese usually know grammar rules better than most native speakers. Think about it, you learn a language from childhood by using it, not by analyzing it. Did you get a lot of classroom time studying more than the basics of grammar? Especially the younger you are.

Since I started teaching here, whenever a student has brought a question about some fine point of grammar, I usually say I can tell you what is right and wrong about the English usage in your question but can’t always explain the rule. Then I make the same point as above and ask them how well they know the fine points of grammar in Chinese and they always agree with me.

Ask a Taiwanese teacher grammar questions is always my advice to them.

Net? Nay-tuh?

1 Like

Simply tell them chinese has very basic grammar, so it wouldn’t make sense to have a local teach english grammar. #logic

Nah-tee
:laughing:

1 Like

You nah-tee nah-tee boy…

2 Likes