Rant: Telecoms are super annoying here

Resist. Have them call customer service. You are NOT obligated to use your passport.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=K0060038

The regulations give foreigners the OPTION to use their passport number. Article 27.

You can use both, you can use one or the other.

This is a right. This is our right.

4 Likes

I’m not surprised by the incompetence…I just think it’s hilarious that by not accepting my new number on the spot they have been stuck with my old expired number for years.

You’re right about Article 27. However, even if you win the debate, they could still switch it up and say it’s an internal company requirement. There’s likely no law that restricts them from asking for it, albeit discriminatory.

For example, I once ran a gaming cafe in the states. For kids under the age to play rated M games, I’d get parents written permission. This wasn’t a law (well, sort of - but a gray one), but more so a company policy to protect our asses from angry parents that didn’t want their kids to play GTA.

Similarly, there’s likely no law from asking for too many forms of id as a company policy. This would be different if it was a government service (although I did hear there’s a govt telecom).

2 Likes

Luckily I’ve only ever been there twice in ten years. I don’t think I’ll go back anytime soon, but when Ido, I’ll be prepared to do battle. :person_fencing:

Taiwan mobile insisted on seeing my passport when I tried to change contract rates with them 2 months ago. Had ARC, NHI, Taiwan drivers license etc etc on me, no I had to go home and get my passport.

2 Likes

That’s when you go to the NCC. The NCC, unlike the FTC or the FSC has teeth.

You can’t make internal policies that run in contravention of the law.

The ESRB is not a law. The proof I cited is a law. You have a right to use your ARC as your primary ID and a secondary ID that further proves your identity.

I salute you!

Why did you go home and get it? I don’t carry my passport. It’s a risk to carry with serious consequences if lost or damaged.

I do not bring my passport to the Telco. I will Karen them into submission. I have a right to use my ARC. I will exercise that right.

2 Likes

I have a right to use my ARC. I will exercise that right.

I’m fairly confident this is more so a guide for businesses rather than us. The companies (not us) minimally require what that Article says; but the companies can ask for whatever additional docs they want since it’s also their right to go about business as they see fit (as long as it doesn’t contradict with the law – that article was about minimal docs req’d, no max mention).

For example, every bank in America will go significantly further than what the law requires – especially when overseas. The Patriot Act is a guide for businesses; not us – there’s a min, but no max. According to the Patriot Act, we’re actually allowed to just prove our overseas physical address to get a phone number or bank. However, they go about their own business by asking for significantly more and restricting physical locations to domestic-America.

I wish you were right – but I believe you may interpreting this the wrong way.

1 Like

You know I have a lawyer. Right?

we are not in America.

Secondly. This is a discrimination issue.

I dont understand why victims of illegal discrimination are arguing with me. Surely you’d rather not be discriminated against?

The deal is, for the last three years, I have not shown my passport for telco services. I expect to be treated like any other Taiwanese. I make sure I am treated like other Taiwanese. If my day is good, your day good. If you make my day miserable, I will make your day miserable.

ARC, health card. My identity is verified. They don’t need any more.

1 Like

They did for me 1 yr ago…

Probably misinformed sales.

Also, never go to 加盟店. They are not operated by the telco. They are the ones probably asking for passport. 加盟店 are incompetent as fuck.

1 Like

Do you know if I can ask to put my arc instead of my passport as ID with TW mobile? I will use the article u mentioned and go to the NCC if needed.

2 Likes

If it’s already in the system, it’s already in the system. I would just next time only use ARC and Health card when making changes.

Will try to send a complaint to the telco

1 Like

I tried to get them to change my account from my passport number to ARC number last week and argued a little (they refused).

I didn’t have the time/energy to keep arguing with them so I gave up.

They CAN change the number though. They told me when I get a shenfenzheng they will change it to my shenfenzheng number. I also told then I won’t have an Australian passport next year so what will they do then? They said they will change it to my Taiwan passport number. They were adamant about refusing to use my ARC number

1 Like

Just sent the complaint. All in writing and requested an email reply, better to have all tracked

4 Likes

Yes, it is, in fact if you lose your ARC/APRC you’re ripe for identity theft. Almost all they need to know is on the front of your ARC/APRC card.

You need to tell them that Taiwanese don’t need to show their passport, in fact a passport is a travel document, not an ID card.

They are just hardcore stupid. I’m getting tired of this shit.

1 Like

So I resist.

Yes, I do. I had opened a bank account with Yushan and they requested my passport, I refused, fuck it. Haven’t used my account for almost 5 years now. I probably still have it but don’t use it.