Ratting out other foreigners

Still no.

100% sure? If it came down to you or the newbie as to which one were about to be deported, you wouldn’t even consider it? Obviously hypothetical as neither of us are kindy teachers, but I’d honestly say I would hope I wouldn’t be a rat, but if faced with the situation I just described, I couldn’t say with 100% certainty that I wouldn’t choose to save my own ass.

Yes.

In a fucking heartbeat. As would most of the rest of you. Don’t kid yourselves.
Me? Or some stranger? No contest.

Definitely would. Especially if I had kids.

But the thing is, there is no guarantee that ratting someone else out would save your job/status in Taiwan. The laws are applied somewhat randomly at times, so imagine how randomly something would be applied if it were not even law.

The number 1 rule that pretty much always works, though, is “The school will do what it has to do for its own interests, to the detriment of the teacher’s interests, no matter whether the teacher is legal or not.” Because the key to the English teaching industry in Taiwan is, “One foreigner is much like any other” and “they’re getting off the plane every day.”

But the rat mentioned in the opening post wasn’t in danger of being deported. He was trying to get money out of his former employers.
And I’m with Dragonbones, unless the other person had in some way screwed me over I wouldn’t consider trying to get someone else deported instead of me. I’d feel like a horrible person for doing it.
If, as Funk500, said I had a couple of kids to think about I’d hope that I’d have thought of that first, before getting myself in a deportable situation. However if I somehow hadn’t thought that through I suppose you do what you have to do to protect your kids. However all of this is moot to the original case, since the informer was in no danger of hurt to anything other than his pig-headed determination to get back at the school/somehow get money out of them.

Would I try to push the blame onto the school to get out of deportation, as Battery9 successfully did? Damn right. The most that would happen there is that the school would get fined.
Playing God with someone else’s life (their home/relationships/livelihoods) is just nasty.

Definitely would. Especially if I had kids.[/quote]
Welcome to the dark side

[quote=“Funk500”]cfimages wrote:100% sure? If it came down to you or the newbie as to which one were about to be deported, you wouldn’t even consider it? Obviously hypothetical as neither of us are kindy teachers, but I’d honestly say I would hope I wouldn’t be a rat, but if faced with the situation I just described, I couldn’t say with 100% certainty that I wouldn’t choose to save my own ass.

Definitely would. Especially if I had kids.[/quote]
Definitely wouldn’t BECAUSE I have kids. I’m supposed to teach them how to be good people! It’s a moot point, though - I would never jeopardize my family by being bent over a barrel like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t rat out somebody for something more or less harmless that I was in fact doing myself, unless it was really exceptional circumstances. It would have to be worse consequences then simply being deported. Glad to hear from some of you that you’re not very trustworthy, though. Thanks for the heads up! :smiley:

PS I said “somebody” not “some foreigner”.

I am absolutely amazed that this topic has generated 23 pages of comments. You DO NOT rat out your compatriots. The op was simply trying to get his revenge at the detriment that may have been a really good person simply trying to make a living. Why not just respect your fellow countrymen and get done what must be done without hurting other people.
I speak from personal experience when a fellow forumosan who had a grudge found me, illegally discovered, that I was working at a branch of my Work Permit Holder, that he/she knew was not my normal working venue. Within a couple days, I got a visit in my class from immigration wanting to see my ARC. This particular branch was not listed and I had to have a meeting with my boss and immigration. Bottom line was that - NO PROBLEM. But thanks to the asshole, I had to lose a half day of a day off to go to the meeting. What goes around comes around. You know, “best served cold”?

As has been asked before in the thread, why base your decision on whether to rat someone out on their nationality?

my post was also theoretical. I would never put myself or family into that sort of situation knowingly.

[quote=“ironlady”]But the thing is, there is no guarantee that ratting someone else out would save your job/status in Taiwan.
[/quote]

Exactly, in fact I find it hard to imagine such a situation.

From what I’ve read, I believe it is fine to rat out other foreigners.
You should put yourself first, before you think of others.
Others will do exactly the same to you.

As has been asked before in the thread, why base your decision on whether to rat someone out on their nationality?[/quote]

But but but Paogao, You’re Taiwanese. You are a local patriot, and your compatriots from China don’t come over here to teach English.

Surely it would be your civic duty to point out any known illegal immigrants to the authorities here.

Anways which nationalities are better to rat out on than others? Could go by Alphabetical order, not too many Americans or Aussies teaching in Taiwan, so you’d soon be down to the few British and then multitudes of Canadians. It’s take a like time to find any New Zealanders or saffies.

Damn straight you don’t! I’d NEVER rat out a fellow Scot. Unless they pissed me off or there was something in it for me.

[quote=“BigJohn”]STV: Part of not ratting out other foreigners is about not being a rat in general. Also, are you saying that foreigners that DO rat out other foreigners don’t have a personal agenda?

Your whole focus seems to be that foreigners should not have any allegiance to each other, probably due to your “I’m a Taiwanese person” trip. Fine for you, do what you like and, sincerely, I wish you the best. But why show disdain for those that DO have some empathy for other humans that are in somewhat similar circumstances, with comparable backgrounds - normal grounds for empathy. I’ll rat out a pedophile in less time than it takes you to read this, but an illegal kindy teacher? Come on! The guy who does that is just an @ssho.[/quote]

If I am doing it for the money then there is nothing personal about it. Why should foreigners hold allegiance to each other? Because of what? What allegiance to you have to all the other foreigners in Taiwan pray tell?

You would rat out people when it suits you, you have clearly demonstrated that. You guys crack me up. Shh don’t tell the teacher… shhh dont be a rat. What are you? Schoolyard bullies with nothing better to do than tell others not to tell on you for doing naughty things like smoke in the toilets? Grow up. IF somebody is working illegally and gets ratted out that’s just tough isn’t it? It will most likey have to be somebody who knows you are illegal in the first place. So that means your work colleagues and others who would know if you were teaching at a kindy.

Would you rat out a teacher you knew to be dealing drugs but teaching at a bushiban?

Did I ever mention or imply you were working illegally? Not on your nelly. I assume everybody to be legal unless proven otherwise.

Your agenda would be to make kindy teaching legal yes?

[quote]
Surely it would be your civic duty to point out any known illegal immigrants to the authorities here. [/quote]

Why should illegal immigrants be ratted out? This is not a moral issue. It is a legal issue.