Ratting out other foreigners

Well because it makes us ALL look really really bad, and I so hate it when I’m walking through the night market and people see I’m a foreigner, because, well because I feel all uncomfortable in my underpants because I just know that they’re ALL looking at me and thinking “there goes one of THEM.” And, and then I, I, I . . . just don’t know . . . I mean I can’t understand a word they’re all blathering, but I just KNOW they’re all talking about what an evil person I AM and hell, I just want to fit right in and be one of THEM, but not one of THOSE. Why just last week I was walking in Tung Hua and well I just knew everyone KNEW that my last name was Jerkawicz and I was EVER so worried that they’d think I was some President killing Polish pilot, I had to flee halfway through my tieban. You HAVE no idea, probably because you are one of THOSE foreigners. Hell I’d RAT on you quicker than I could write this if it could JUST STOP this awful feeling of not BELONGING!

HG

Anyone working illegal should be ratted out.
It is the only responsible thing to do.
No excuses.

Its not like that individual is family.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone working illegally should be ratted out.
No excuses.

It’s not like that individual is family.[/quote]

What if you - after assuming you were legal - find out that you’re working illegally? Do you need to rat yourself out?

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone [strike]working[/strike] doing anything illegal should be ratted out.
No excuses.

Its not like that individual is family.[/quote]

That’s better. Thank you Herr Kant.

[quote=“almas john”][quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone working illegally should be ratted out.
No excuses.

What if you - after assuming you were legal - find out that you’re working illegally? Do you need to rat yourself out?[/quote]

Quite right. Go to the police and explain. You do nothing and KNOW of it, you are guilty.

Ignorance is no excuse.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”][quote=“almas john”][quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone working illegally should be ratted out.
No excuses.

What if you - after assuming you were legal - find out that you’re working illegally? Do you need to rat yourself out?[/quote]

Quite right. Go to the police and explain. You do nothing and KNOW of it, you are guilty.

Ignorance is no excuse.[/quote]

What kind of fascist trip are you on, man? “It’t not like the individual is family” WTF? “It’s not like apples are oranges”. What’s the relevance of that? You sound like a weird, creepy dude.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“emerihsoetihw”][quote=“almas john”][quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone working illegally should be ratted out.
No excuses.

What kind of fascist trip are you on, man? “It’t not like the individual is family” WTF? “It’s not like apples are oranges”. What’s the relevance of that? You sound like a weird, creepy dude.[/quote]

So what is your relevance?

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“emerihsoetihw”][quote=“almas john”][quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone working illegally should be ratted out.
No excuses.

What kind of fascist trip are you on, man? “It’t not like the individual is family” WTF? “It’s not like apples are oranges”. What’s the relevance of that? You sound like a weird, creepy dude.[/quote]

You are getting trolled hard dude.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Anyone working illegal should be ratted out.
No excuses.

Its not like that individual is family.[/quote]
It’s the only responsible thing to do? Responsible to whom? And why is it that matters of ethics don’t apply to people who share your DNA? I smell troll.

Did you smell troll when posters described such matters of ethics applying only to foreigners? I don’t necessarily agree with the above poster’s sentiments, but it reveals an interesting point about where people draw the line at such behavior.

Did you smell troll when posters described such matters of ethics applying only to foreigners? I don’t necessarily agree with the above poster’s sentiments, but it reveals an interesting point about where people draw the line at such behavior.[/quote]
Good point. Protect family and screw the rest is commonplace in Taiwan…among other places…

Did you smell troll when posters described such matters of ethics applying only to foreigners? I don’t necessarily agree with the above poster’s sentiments, but it reveals an interesting point about where people draw the line at such behavior.[/quote]

Well like emerihsoetihw’s name, it makes more sense to me when the reverse of what he is saying is applied (although only slightly) “white 'o shire me” whatever that might mean.

Its a sad situation where people would rat out another for something that doesnt affect them or society as a whole negatively.

Cash/revenge over ethics wont get you far in life.

Just because you don’t understand the purpose of a law or the background behind it doesn’t mean it’s a bad law or it wasn’t properly thought through before being passed.

It’s a law that was passed for the betterment of society. It’s actually laughable that English teachers feel they are so knowledgeable about Taiwan that they can determine whether or not a law is beneficial to Taiwanese society.

I’d lose no sleep ratting out someone who knowingly broke this law no matter how they had rationalized it.

[quote=“mpallard”]Just because you don’t understand the purpose of a law or the background behind it doesn’t mean it’s a bad law or it wasn’t properly thought through before being passed.

It’s a law that was passed for the betterment of society. It’s actually laughable that English teachers feel they are so knowledgeable about Taiwan that they can determine whether or not a law is beneficial to Taiwanese society.

I’d lose no sleep ratting out someone who knowingly broke this law no matter how they had rationalized it.[/quote]

Your missing the whole point. The kindies operate illegally, but usually get away with it. They lie to the foreigners, who might then get deported. The kindy then pays a fine and hires another sucker. So you would knowingly participate in this? Sounds like you’re the self-righteous know it all. It’s laughable that you feel you are so knowledgeable that you can determine whether or not to fuck with someone’s life under these circumstances, no matter how you rationalize it.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“mpallard”]Just because you don’t understand the purpose of a law or the background behind it doesn’t mean it’s a bad law or it wasn’t properly thought through before being passed.

I’d lose no sleep ratting out someone who knowingly broke this law no matter how they had rationalized it.[/quote]

Your missing the whole point. The kindies operate illegally, but usually get away with it. They lie to the foreigners, who might then get deported. The kindy then pays a fine and hires another sucker. So you would knowingly participate in this? Sounds like you’re the self-righteous know it all. It’s laughable that you feel you are so knowledgeable that you can determine whether or not to fuck with someone’s life under these circumstances, no matter how you rationalize it.[/quote]

It’s a NT$750 000 fine for the kindy I believe. Not exactly pocket change.

Yeah, 750 K that’s a lot for sure.

It makes sense to keep unqualified people away from toddlers. Especially if it is difficult to do a background check on them. What doesn’t make sense is to prevent, by law, toddlers from recieving an English education at the one time in thier lives that they could easily acquire native speech patterns. It wouldn’t interfere with their acquistion of Mandarin to any significant extent. The people who say it would are of the type that argue that global warming is not anthropomorphic. Most likely they are lying.

Or if it does makes sense it is along the lines of… don’t give poorer kids a chance, don’t give anybody a chance that can’t spend half of their childhood and adolescence in expensive language schools, don’t let the population grow smarter than the people who pass laws, don’t allow Taiwan to become really international in outlook…

The law is no doubt violated constantly anyway, particularly by people with money. As usual the losers are the kids with no backing.

I think a lot of smaller kindergartens may well go out of business if faced with that kind of fine, unless there’s some kind of pay-it-off-over-time arrangement.

[quote=“dan2006”]Its a sad situation where people would rat out another for something that doesnt affect them or society as a whole negatively.

Cash/revenge over ethics wont get you far in life.[/quote]
Tell that to the bailed out Wall Street bankers. :laughing: