Ray/Jamie Foxx/Oscars

What a fantastic movie. Jamie Foxx is fast becoming one of my fav actors, even tho he kinda groped his way thru this one :wink: :laughing: .

He really deserved the Oscar for his sensitive and accurate portrayal of the legend that is Ray Charles. However, I think he got burned for the best supporting Oscar as he was far more interesting to watch in Collateral than Morgan Freeman was in Million Dollar Baby. Donā€™t get me wrong, Morgan Freeman was great, but Jamie was head and shoulders above the rest of the pack. From Any Given Sunday to Ali, Foxx has been tearing up the silver screen with stellar performances that typify the fine art of acting. I am looking forward to more from this guy.

OT, but poor Annette Benning. She should try doing a movie with Hilary Swank next.

What do you guys think about the Oscars? Ray? Jamie?

Foxx had one of the better acceptance speeches in recent years. Chris Rock was funny. Robin Williams did some funny stuff as well as Adam Sandler. I liked the Johnny Carson tribute, too. Yoyo Ma made be cry, or it might have been the pictures of everyone who passed away last year, or else the medication Iā€™m on.

Did you see when Jeremy Irons was about ready to present something and there was a loud noise off stage? He said, ā€œI hope they missed.ā€ That was cool.

I havenā€™t seen any of the movies, except for The Incredibles. Iā€™m glad they won. Shark Tales sucked.

First time Iā€™ve watched the Oscars live in many years. I enjoyed the show.

[quote=ā€œRichardmā€]Foxx had one of the better acceptance speeches in recent years. Chris Rock was funny. Robin Williams did some funny stuff as well as Adam Sandler. I liked the Johnny Carson tribute, too. Yoyo Ma made be cry, or it might have been the pictures of everyone who passed away last year, or else the medication Iā€™m on.

Did you see when Jeremy Irons was about ready to present something and there was a loud noise off stage? He said, ā€œI hope they missed.ā€ That was cool.

First time Iā€™ve watched the Oscars live in many years. I enjoyed the show.[/quote]

Yeah, great speech. No bullshit. Personal and touching. Loved it.

Well, I thought Chris Rock was a little caustic. Although he balanced his humor with some decent self-deprecating, I thought a few people would be put off by some of his more inflammatory remarks. Robin, always funny, but getting to be the sameā€¦didnā€™t he do that Nicholson doing Shakespeare bit a few years backā€¦ā€œTo be or not to goddman beā€¦ā€

I agree on Irons timing there. Deadpan and perfect. Truly a comic genius or whatever Rock introā€™d him as. I wish they had given Sandler more to do. He cracks me up. He is such an everyman comic. I love his work.

YoYo was brilliant too. Richard, you gotta see these flicks tho. Ray was fantastic, as was Million Dollar Baby. I was really surprised to not see Jonathan Demme, Meryl Streep or Denzel Washington not nominated for MAnchurian Candidate, or was that last year?

[quote=ā€œRichardmEbertā€]
I havenā€™t seen any of the movies, except for The Incredibles. Iā€™m glad they won. Shark Tales sucked.[/quote]

It more bit than sucked doncha think?

Glad to see you back RM.

I was happy that Jamie Fox won for best actor. Cate Blanchette also earned her Oscar. Sheā€™s a terrific actress anyway, but she did an outstanding job as Katherine Hepburn in Aviator. :bravo:

Chris Rock is good at stand up, but probably wasnā€™t the best choice for hosting the awards. And why oh why did Beyonce sing 3 out of the 5 nominated songs? Donā€™t get me wrong, I like Beyonce as much as the next person, but 3 songs is overkill. Poor girl. When youā€™re the that far on top, the only place to go is down. :s

I think it was probably the medication Richard. My impression was that all the old faces there were getting tired of congratulating each other over and over and overā€¦ And whose idea was it to have Chris Rock host the thing. That guy is about as genteel as a sloppy joe outlet on pay day.

I just watched Ray tonight, it was a pretty darn good flick. Makes me want to go out and ā€œgetā€ the soundtrack.