Re: Dialing a Cell Phone in Taiwan from the USA

Does anyone know how to dial a cell phone number in Taiwan from the USA? I know how to dial a home phone number, but not sure what numbers I need to press before the actual phone number …

Thanks!

It’s exactly the same as calling a landline, +886, skip the zero, blah blah blah…

International Access Code + Country Code + Network Code + Phone number
E.g.: xxx 886 9 12345678 (whatever xxx is in the US / your network operator has defined)

“+” instead of the IAC works mostly on cell phones only and it will chose the route set by the operator - which might not be the cheapest one.

Is this correct? So if my cell phone number is 0980-387-562, then from the US it would be:

886-980-387-562

Correct?

1 Like

Dialing from a mobile phone: +886 xx xxxx-xxxx
Dialing from a landline: 011 886 xx xxxx-xxxx

3 Likes

How about calling my landline in Taiwan from the US?

If I live in Taipei, and my number is 2644-3669, I would dial from the US:

886-2-2644-3669

Is this correct?

1 Like

Nevermind. I confirm that this is correct. I realized I had a stack of business cards from people at my company where the numbers on the English side of the cards are shown like this.

I just use Skype because it’s going to be much cheaper than calling from a phone anyways. In fact I call taiwan land line from Skype because the charge for calling a land line from a cell phone in taiwan is very high.

1 Like

So a call from the US to my cell phone. Is the above correct?

+886.980.387.562

The plus is important.

If you can’t dial plus, then dial 011 instead of the plus.

2 Likes

I always thought it was “00” if you couldn’t dial the “+”
e.g. Taiwan 00886 xxxxxxxxx.

Not in NANP.

Other systems yes. NANP is 011

1 Like

You live and learn, I have always used 00 and it seamed to work everywhere.
Saying that, I used calling cards before internet calling and they always had their own access numbers.

Not always… I tried it with Verizon a long time ago and it didn’t work, but I don’t think there’s a single cell phone out there where you can’t press and hold 0 until it shifts into a +.

Since I used Google Voice and their direct dial is cheap (e.g. $0.02 a minute for landline as long as I dial through the app), and envisioned myself traveling a lot more, I’ve personally gotten into the habit of saving everybody with a +1 or +886 or even other country code if applicable, that way I don’t have to worry about it giving me an error if I just select their name from my address book, which fun fact: even though it’s more involved than just using 0 as the area code, your call will still go through if you dial +886 even in Taiwan itself.

I think because cell phones can dial +, it could be different as they dial numbers differently. But I have dialled 011 on a landline.

This is true. Plus supercedes all.

I use skype for $10/m unlimited NANP calling.

I did this too.

Mine is pay-as-you-use, free for US numbers and a very low price for international calls… I’ve loaded my account up with $10 back in 2014 or so, and my current account balance is $7.88. At the rate I’m using it, I think my account will be part of my estate planning process :rofl:

1 Like