Re: NTU Graduate School

I’m going to take the test tomorrow for the Chinese Literature graduate program at NTU … only 5 foreigners are registered to take the test, so hopefully that’s a good sign … wish me luck! :slight_smile:

I wish you the best of luck.

What part of Chinese literature are you going to be studying? My understanding is that Chinese literature is a rather broad subject. I’m still on kid’s books using classical Chinese(i.e. 36 strategies and 300 word stories).

Okami

I’m mostly into literature from the Six Dynasties and Tang, and specifically I’d like to focus on

Fascinating shit. I’d like to hear a paragraph’s synopsis of you ideas on Classical Chinese sexuality and ‘homosexuality’ as evidenced from classical literature.

Brian

Re: studying

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]
The test begins at 8am and goes until 6pm, all in all there are four subjects:

[quote=“LittleBuddhaTW”]

Sorry for taking so long to get back on this …

Anyway, the test was pretty rough, but I think I did reasonably ok. The English part was, of course, a piece of cake, and I was the only native English speaker there. Unfortunately, you just have to get 20% on the English test, and the score isn’t calculated into the final test result (DAMN!). The Chinese essay was ok, and I managed to toss in a quote from Confucius, but I didn’t get to work in as many “chengyu” as I would have like. The “Chinese Reading & Writing Proficiency Test” was probably the most difficult part. Lots and lots of “chengyu,” as well as a selection from Mencius (I think) to translate from classical into modern Chinese, as well as a couple of questions about why I want to get my M.A. at NTU, what area of Chinese literature I’d like to study, and discuss the differences between Chinese and my own native language (English). The History of Chinese Literature part was ok … the questions were about Bai Juyi’s “New Yuefu Movement,” interpreting a Li Bai poem in regards to the legacy he inherited from the “Book of Songs,” analyzing the two major movements of Song Dynasty “Ci”, and finally identifying and analyzing two evolutionary trends in the history of Chinese literature.

So, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how it went …

I just talked to my Japanese tutor about his preparation for the Graduate exam like yours. He’s studying 8-9 hours a day, 7 days a week. Refuses to come out of his house for anything except night market food and money(My Japanese class). His test is on May 7th. I’m not sure which school or part of history he will study though. I’ll ask him next week.

Okami