Re: Work While on a Working Holiday Visa?

[quote=“CheeseBread”]I am in Taiwan wanting to travel around for the year
The problem is that I am on a working holiday visa
I realise now that it is impossible to find work teaching English as the visa only allows me to work for three months under the same employer
, no school will hire someone for that short a time
does anyone know if there is any other kind of work available for foreigners?
My only real qualification is a bachelors degree so it can only be Teaching in a cram school or some kind of part time job
the only other work for foreigners that I have seen are professional jobs that I do not have the skill or qualifications for
My Mandarin is very basic so that should make it even harder[/quote]

A working holiday visa is meant for short term employment… mainly unskilled/service type jobs like working at cafes and restaurants. You might be able to sub here and there… but generally you need an actual work visa for teaching English.

I saw that Taiwan offered those working holiday visas, but I couldn’t see how it was possible for anyone to find part-time work here… All of the service/short-term work requires a decent ability in Chinese. What else is there to possibly do?

Learn Chinese (don’t be lazy) :smiley:

That’s what I always thought too! How do you find a job here on a working holiday??

Contact the government’s Youth Travel office, they actually help you find jobs (I’m pretty sure they PAY places to create these jobs during the on season, too @.@; )

youthtravel.tw/

They say they don’t help you find a job, but I’m sure that they must at least be able to point you in the right direction. All of the jobs available on the Working Holiday TW page were from 5 years ago @.@;