Real estate prices in Taiwan (specifically Yonghe, New Taipei and Taipei)

I think redevelopment is going slowly because of greed on both sides. Example: One very small detail in the contract which can have a big impact is the time frame. You need something in the contract to ensure that the deal sunsets if the developer doesn’t start building in some fixed time frame. If the wording is open ended, you could be without a place to live/rent for a long time. I suspect some developers are not fully committed to starting right away, but rather land banking your lot, and trying to acquire neigbouring lots, a divide and conquer strategy. If you go and see a good lawyer here about your contract this will be one of the first things they talk about. I would definitely develop, but I would negotiate with the developer through or with the help of a lawyer. The developers are like a lot of corporations here, they lie and talk down to their customers, and just generally are not used to being questioned. But you are all adults, and everything can be negotiated. There’s no “way it works”, just some people negotiating for a mutually better outcome.

1 Like

That’s very good advice right there @bdog Thank you so much. Happy New Year to you.

1 Like

OP is an outsider and hence at a disadvantage in terms of information and support. Resident folks can bring big guns like city councillors to the table. And they know the market.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I have to count on.

I’m quite proactive so it kinda sucks having to take a backseat to proceedings and having to rely on others. I imagine these long term residents know what they’re doing though and will be of a like minded bent vis a vis getting as many concessions as possible.

That’s almost States level prices. Thought costs in Taiwan tend to be significantly lower.

Cheap it is not, especially in the coveted area of real estate. Especially if you want something well done. Head to the rental thread or visit 591.com for examples of how it should not be done.

And that is a ballpark figure on just the esthetics and basics. If there are structural issues…

From what I gather, everything seems to be working fine. Fixtures et al.

So much so that I’m going to go ahead and rent out the 1st floor (41.9 ping) for 23000 NT and 16000 NT for the fourth floor with dedicated entrance and comfortable exclusive stairwell (32.9 ping) (excluding the fifth floor add on of 20 ping).

These will be to the people that my family know (that I mentioned in earlier post). Friend prices, essentially.

Now I know that this is at the lower end of the scale but if they turn out to be respectable and reliable long term renters (which they in all likelihood will) then that’s acceptable.

In the meantime the developers are marshaling their forces, as are the long term residents so it would seem. Haven’t heard anything vis a vis a meeting just yet. Apparently people are afraid to meet cos of covid in Taiwan? Thought Taiwan had managed the plague reasonably well.

If you get the 1280 NT All Ticket Pass does that mean that All UBike rides are essentially free?

(Cos nowhere in Taipei or New Taipei takes more than 30 min to reach by bicycle from any given location.)

https://discourse-cloud-file-uploads.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/business6/uploads/forumosa/original/3X/c/2/c2214e2856be0d041a6f2b8a59020d5ef05f3fde.jpeghttps://discourse-cloud-file-uploads.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/business6/uploads/forumosa/original/3X/c/2/c2214e2856be0d041a6f2b8a59020d5ef05f3fde.jpeg

Just spent some time with some of them today and got a few more details. Areas in Yonghe and Taoyuan. Offered 1.5 times the pings per unit but the number of units is identical. 90% consensus required.

1 Like

Be a responsible owner and have someone check the electrical wiring at least. I assure you, after 20 years, especially the first floor, will have issues. And yes, landlord will be liable in case of fire.

Those prices are average, especially since we are not aware of the condition of the place.

Why? I had a 120-year-old house in the US that had wiring that passed modern standards.

Right. Duly noted re wiring.

So those prices are average. Thought it was mentioned that they were on the low end of the scale (lower than average, in other words).

Part and parcel of general rents in Taiwan I suppose.

1 Like

Well, Taiwan is humid and dirty. Also, most homes in the US, especially those built before WWII, were VERY well built. Even those that just shoved some newspaper into the cracks instead of less flammable forms of insulation tend to be better maintained (with no maintenance) than any building in Taiwan. They use the cheapest wires and pipes they can get their hands on here. That level of garbage didn’t even exist in the US 120 years ago.

What he said.

I also lived in a 100 year old wood house back in the old country. We had to change the electric wiring due to volcanic ash. And the water pipes were half lead.

1 Like

Only an idiot wouldn’t worry about wiring in a 120 year old house. :sunglasses: Unless there’s been some renovation done recently it’s guaranteed it needs work and potentially the whole lot stripoed out and redone. In Taiwan it’s common for 40 yr old plus houses to be rewired because the copper cable they used was too thin and can’t carry the load now.
Rewiring , replumbing…All par for the course for old gongyu here.

So I take it this is essentially accurate?

Check here

1 Like

Cheers mate. Happy New Year to you.

Meh. There are some places where you cannot time the lights if your life depends on it. Zhongshan Jr. High to Technology Building is probably 30 minutes by bike, as is Ximen to 101, in the basis of you have to navigate around too many obstacles and will be stopped by too many red lights. But a bike is still very efficient.

1 Like

Wowsers. It’s actually quicker from my place in Yonghe via bicycle and car to Taipei 101 than it is for my mate in Wenshan.

(His is a tad faster via public transportation.)

How could that be? My place is in New Taipei, his is in Taipei proper.