Real meaning behind Taigi's Tsa-poo and Tsa-bóo

Ever wonder why man and woman is referred to as tsa-poo and tsa-bóo in Taigi? For new learners of Taigi, these two words sounds so similar, it is difficult to understand which is which.

They are also frequently followed by 人 or 囝仔, making them tsa-poo-lâng, tsa-bóo-lâng, and tsa-poo-gín-á, tsa-bóo-gín-á. Then tonal sandhi rules make it that much more confusing.

Most Taiwanese would write tsa-poo as 查埔 and tsa-bóo as 查某. The Hanji tagged on to these words are totally devoid of meaning, and you wouldn’t have a clue what they mean if you know Mandarin but don’t know any Taigi.

So what do these words mean?

TL;DR version is that Tsa-poo-lâng means 諸父人 and tsa-bóo-lâng means 諸母人.

The 查埔 and 查某 characters are tagged on to the words much much later, when the connection between sounds and characters were lost for hundreds if not thousands of years. It’s been so long that people have reinvented how to write these two words over and over again. That’s why we also have 大夫, 多父, 乾晡, 焦晡, 唐補 in addition to 查埔 for tsa-poo, and 諸姆, 查娒, 查厶, 㜁嬤, 珠母 in addition to 查某 for tsa-bóo.

Originally 父 and 母 just meant man and woman in Old Chinese. They would also mean husband and wife. 諸父 is the equivalent of men, and 諸母 is the equivalent of woman.

諸 means many or every. While today 諸 is usually read as tsu or tsi in Taigi, it was originally meant to be pronounced the same as its phonetic component 者, which till this day is pronounced as tsiá.

The character of 父 was written as a hand holding an axe.

It is supposed to be pronounced the same way as axe in Chinese, that’s why 斧 also has 父 as a phonetic component. At first, 父 simply referred to men of tool wielding age, an adult male. It was only later that it evolved to mean elder male family members, or even later, specifically father.

父 can be read in Taigi as pōo and póo and 斧 can be read in Taigi as póo as well.

The character of 母 was written as a kneeling person with pair of breasts.

The only difference between 母 and 女 in oracle script is that 母 has the two extra dots notating breasts. It was used to mean adult woman or women. Despite also being read in Taigi to day as bú, bió, bó, the bóo pronunciation is well documented and still in use in some places.

Same historical examples of 諸父 and 諸母. These usages also shows 諸父 and 諸母 can be both plural (men, women) as well as singular (man, woman).

《史記•淮陰侯傳》:信釣於城下,諸母漂,有一母見信飢,飯信。

《史記•高祖紀》:“沛父兄、諸母、故人日樂飲。”

《詩•小雅•伐木》:“既有肥羜,以速諸父。”

《漢書•淮南王安傳》:“時武帝方好藝文,以安屬為‘諸父’,辯博善為文辭,甚尊重之。”

Of course, as 父 and 母 later evolved to mean father and mother specifically, it isn’t difficult to understand why later people restrained from using 父 and 母 to transcribe tsa-poo and tsa-bóo to avoid confusion.

5 Likes

Fascinating.

They way my family members pronounce these, it sounds more like tza-bo and tza-bvo. Hard to tell apart if not for the flatter tone in “bo” and no fricative quality to the bilabial phoneme.

Actually I have no idea how to represent the sound that I conceive of as “v and b mushed together.” I don’t even know if I have that right. Maybe it’s more like an m?

1 Like

You mean /β/?

2 Likes

That must be it!

I guess I wasn’t too far off thinking of it as a b and v mush.

It’s probably the start of the kind of sound change that transforms b into v. Google tells me it’s a phenomenon called Betacism.

1 Like

I’m just going to continue here with future discoveries in Taigi hanji etymologies. Mods can change the title to something more appropriate.

This is a topic that other Taigi promoters might dislike, but I personally have no issue looking into classical Middle Chinese or even Old Chinese texts to find attested usage and etymology for hanji used in Taigi. In fact, I find the process a lot of fun, and I hold the opinion that people should get to use whatever hanji for Taigi, as long as they can properly attest and justify the usage, and let future users decide which is the more popular form.

That said, I completely agree Taigi hanji should not currently be what we teach young, new learners of Taigi. It should only to taught to people who are already fluent in Taigi, so that convoluted hanji pronunciations and pre-established notions of Mandarin hanji don’t interfere with learning Taigi.

Ok, having said all that…

There have been many ways to write the Taigi adjective siunn and sometimes siong, which usually modifies quantifiers or nouns with the meaning: too, very, overly, excessive, and etc.

Since the 1800s, people have written siunn with different hanjis, such as 上, 傷, 尚 and 相.

I was recently looking up some historical stuff, and discovered usages supporting 相 as the actual hanji etymology.

In the section about the Three Kingdoms period in the Comprehensive Mirror in Aid of Governance (Ti-tsu-thong-kàm)

初,操承涼州從事及武都降人之辭,說「張魯易攻,陽平城下南北山相遠,不可守也」

At first, Tsô Tsho (曹操) followed the rhetoric of the officials from Liâng-tsiu and defectors from Bú-too, and stressed that "Tiunn Lóo’s position is easy for the taking, the hills to the North and South of Iông-pîng city are too far apart to defend properly.

In the same text, also in the Three Kingdoms period.

時戰國多事,公務煩猥;禕為尚書令,識悟過人,每省讀文書,舉目暫視,已究其意旨,其速數倍於人,終亦不忘。常以朝聽事,其間接納賓客,飲食嬉戲,加之博弈,每盡人之歡,事亦不廢。及董允代禕,欲斅禕之所行,旬日之中,事多愆滯。允乃歎曰:「人才力相遠若此,非吾之所及也!」乃聽事終日而猶有不暇焉。

At the time, with the 3 kingdoms constantly warring with one another, there were a lot of official matters to attend to. However, while Huî I (費禕) was the Chief Secretary, his brilliance was unmatched. When he went over documents, he needed only to glimpse at the text to fully understand the details. It was multiple times faster than most, and he would memorize the entire text without fail. Huî would often attend official business in the morning and late afternoon, and host guests, dine, hold games, play chess or gamble, enjoying life to the fullest in the time between, without missing at beat at work. When Táng Ún (董允) was appointed to take Huî’s place, he wanted to imitate Huî I’s style. In just a couple of days, he already wasn’t able to keep up with official business. Táng Ún exclaimed “How can people’s abilities be so far apart? I’m no where as capable as Huî!” From then on Táng attended official business through out the whole day, not even having a moment to take a breather.

In the same text about the end of Western Han, after the anti-Ông-Bóng (王莽) forces proclaimed a new Han emperor:

太皇太后謂左右曰:「人心不相遠也。我雖婦人,亦知莽必以此自危。」

Grand empress dowager told her confidants, "People don’t think all that differently. I’m just a woman, but even I know Ông Bóng would be terrified by this event.

In the History of Ming, in the section discussing law and punishment

計其米價、腳價之費,與鈔數差不相遠

The amount of penalty in cash wasn’t too far away from penalty in manual labor if you account for the price of rice and mover fees.

These usages of 相遠 is exactly the same as how you would saying a place is too far away in Taigi, siunn hn̄g.

Also 朝晡 for the morning and late afternoon is a pretty good example for using 晡 for Taigi’s afternoon ē-poo.

1 Like