Real Taiwan living experiences they don't tell you about

Interesting, long news story and hardships as a immigrant
to Taiwan. Lots of issues people know, but some actions needed rather than gov words

7 Likes

Here’s the thing. We’ve been speaking our minds for years. The locals don’t want to listen.

And who do they interview?

Yep. A gold card owner.

Stupid idiot. Sweeping statement about the entire country. There are affordable places numbnuts, but every person comes here thinks the whole country is Downtown Taipei

I am neck deep in Taiwanese society. I don’t live in the foreigner bubble. I have a real Taiwanese job. This is absolutely wrong. 10% is extremely lucky. 5% is almost impossible. And interest rates are 1½%.

I was offered 1.5% and 1.6%. I took the 1.6% one.

They should give me the Plum Blossom card for how stupid this guy is. If he gets Gold, I should be Plum Blossom material.

I don’t know where this guy actually went. I know banks are bad, trust me, I bitched about them, but I’ve documented my stories here on this very forum. They’re not as astronomical as this guy makes it out to be.

Again, there are high prices in Taipei, but Mr American Guy here would know that in big cities across the US, you usually commute into the city cause the city centre is expensive and gentrified. In fact, Taipei is way more affordable than many big cities in North America like Toronto, New York and so many more.

Oh my god, if you like the US style of living, live in the US!

You whine about cost of living but want a vehicle? Live in Sanzhi then! Lotsa cheap houses there.

As it should be! We don’t need more traffic. Hire a car when you wanna do niche things.

19 Likes

The problem I have is why would high-end professionals want to come to Taiwan? I can understand coming here for love, an experience, learning Chinese, family, or because your company sends you. However, I don’t get why otherwise a high-end professional would need or want to come here. Surely they can make more money in their home countries?

16 Likes

Making more money isn’t always the end goal. Depends as well what you get at the end of the day. Sure, you might have more salary in some places, but if it comes down to putting all of that to expenses, like high house prices as well as mandatory car travel, it gets expensive quick.

3 Likes

It seems like a strange career move for a high-end professional, to me, and I’d assume that high-end professionals are focussed on their careers.

4 Likes

Perhaps, but, I live in Greater Taipei, my cousin lives in Greater Toronto.

I make half what he makes, yet I have more takehome money per month than he does.

I think it depends on what do you get at the end of the day. And that’s often a very personal thing.

6 Likes

The fact that he says owning a vehicle is encoded in “our” DNA makes me want to cringe. If you live in a downtown area in a city like NYC, there’s a good chance you don’t own a car there either. On my list of reasons I never want to move back to the US: buses and trains here can get you from one end of the island to the other, often in less time than it takes you to drive, at almost all hours, often with little to no wait time. If you don’t like that part of Taiwan living, I agree, don’t live here.

16 Likes

Hardship! First world problems more like.

6 Likes

I moved to a new country and am disappointed it isnt like my own. Lmao

Secondly, he didnt need to peddle misinformation either.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s kind of an embarrassment. It’s like if the US started interviewing Mexican immigrants but only interviewed Mexicans who came from old money and lived in mansions with servants before moving to the US. This interview really doesn’t help the impression that Taiwanese people have about tall noses. More annoyingly, it’s not representative of the vast majority of the population.

4 Likes

Agree I hire a car but do not own one. They have very affordable rental rates.

2 Likes

I think rental rates for cars are way too high but it’s certainly a good option .
And one can always motor cheap on a scooter.
I think large engine vehicles should get taxed more actually (and I own one ).

4 Likes

I have a scooter. As for cars; Weekday retal rates are pretty good 1, 300 from Monday morning 10AM to Tuesday morning 10 AM. That is pretty decent , no?

1 Like

But many only have free time on weekends…Holidays. It doesn’t work for us for very well …Nevertheless a minor issues.
Complaints on discrimination against foreigners regarding credit are very fair. Many banks which just do not offer a mortgage or credit to foreigners anyway.

It’s solidly within what I’ve paid in the US for car rentals (anywhere from USD20-150/day, depending on where and when, but seemingly to lean to the high end more recently). What’s the condition of the cars available to rent here?

2 Likes

Its very much what the guy and blog post is, why should you stay if you do not have the connections you mention. Ireland was nice and more helpful, but for me was not home, but they worked hard to make immigrants fit in. Taiwan needs make business systems like banks up to international standards but local banks doing well (money wise) things are hard to change. It also does not help most of the international banks have left.

2 Likes

It actually amazes me how many people, young and old walk on the streets during the week, a time when those should actually be in classes or at work.

Yeah…Eh .Including moi.

Alright, they are clean and boring.

1 Like

The most obvious question to ask is why did he even come to Taiwan. And why didn’t he do his research? I did my research before I came. I knew what I could expect. Even with that I was shocked at the way bosses treat their workers. I feel as though I’m coming to the end of my time in Taiwan. There’s only so much butting of heads a person can put up with. This US guy might be culturally and willfully ignorant but so are many Taiwanese. The last few years feels like Taiwan has become a much more closed shop while pretending to be more open. And the xenophobia seems to be growing.

6 Likes