Real Taiwan living experiences they don't tell you about

The train one was Jiangzicui MRT. Mainland Chinese kid living here with his parents. The parents sold their apartment and left before their kid had even been through the trial. No police were injured in that incident. Just civilians. The guy that disarmed him at Jiangzicui MRT was a martial arts instructor. The people on the train were attacking him with their umbrellas after they realized what was happening.

It’s very rare for police to be attacked and/or injured in Taiwan except when there’s gang violence involved. I train alongside police most days of the week. Even the instance of an obese police officer here in Taiwan is rare. And just because someone is barely 70kg soaking wet and wearing their utility belt doesn’t mean they haven’t been actively involved in martial arts for years. Some of the smaller/shorter ones acting all cool and calm are more likely to put you on your butt than the bigger ones acting tough.

I don’t understand what this has to do with anything. Are you staying that martial arts is enough to deal with a lethal force opponent armed with a knife and potentially altered? And that Police shouldn’t use their firearms in these situations? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Maybe, but maybe not. I remember that there was some pretty bad stuff on YouTube, and from searching the below text there is a fair amount of video.

台灣警察被刺傷

Even with the videos I think it rare compared to most other countries (very few places like Japan and few others), but does not mean none at all as the videos show.

1 Like

A lot of this is gangster.

Cops get killed a lot more in the states which is why they’re so trigger happy.

People here saying ew when I want to visit HK. Yet, the same people want to visit China even though they claim to hate China. Lmao.

Who hates China?

I think some in America have really improved. I like kum and go a lot and also kwik trip

1 Like

Taiwanese claiming ew to HK because China is there but the same people want to visit China and complain Obama called Taiwan “China”. Makes zero sense.

Oh. I’ve never heard anyone say ew to HK.

2 Likes

They do everytime I say I want to visit. So silly. :joy:

A lot of Taiwanese think Hong Kongers( Cantonese) are really rude/unhelpful. That was 10 years ago before China went crazy so maybe that is why people said “ewww”?

They always mention because China is there.

1 Like

People in Hong Kong are definitely not as friendly as people in Taiwan (actually, I find most HKers were truly unhappy with my presence/existance), but what does that mean anyway? New Yorkers don’t really have a reputation for being nice but people still want to travel there.

5 Likes

Most taiwanese people I met really like Hong Kong people, culture, and food.

Seems like the Asian hierarchy taiwanese look up to is

Japan
Singapore
Korea (new development used to be not well liked only a few years ago)
Hong Kong

These are the top places in Asia. The other countries seem to be looked down on

1 Like

1 Like

I hate the place. With a passion. And this was before China took over.

2 Likes

I heard HK is very expensive to live in, basically the entire economy went to rent seeking after the 1980s.

It’s the old Cantonese / Fujianese divide.

In HK now it’s way less relevant as most people I know in Taiwan feel sorry for them following Beijing’s heavy hand in seizing control.

Guy

2 Likes

Good rate, was insurance extra?

1 Like