REALLY bright light in the sea off Fulong

I camped at Fulong beach over the weekend and looking out to see, there were a number of what I can only presume were vessels on the horizon. They were well lit, but not ridiculously so.

In the middle, there was one incredibly line of bright white light. It was like looking into a line of floodlights on the horizon. When viewed from behind a tent obscuring the light, the light clearly lit up the sky around in a white glow, reflecting off the clouds above.

Standing near to it, the light must have been incredibly bright.

Did anyone else see it, or know what it was?

I have a couple of guesses, but they’re wild speculation and don’t really satisfactorily explain it.

Must be UFOs then!

They’re fishing boats. They use lights to attract fish. You can actually see thousands of little fish jumping around the boats in the light - it really looks like the water is boiling.

Don’t be silly. They were obviously UFO’s. This should be moved over to the Aliens thread immediately.

Yes, they are squid fishers

Yeah, I’d heard of fishing using light, and I think I saw it close to shore one time further north of Gilong. On that occasion the water was lit up but more of a glow than blinding floodlights.

Must be different variations on a theme.

We speculated about this, some kind of military exercise or some kind of rigs (though after 3 years I’m sure I would be aware if Taiwan had oil) but we were just guessing really.

Maybe I’m just curious about things I really shouldn’t waste time thinking about, but without an adequate explaination I was constantly distracted by it. Despite no satisfactory explaination, the two Taiwanese girlfriends with us seemed not to be too bothered by an unexplained phenomenon. and happily accepted explainations that really didn’t stand up (a cruise ship - the guests would have been blinded).

Actually, it surprised me that locals (i.e. Taipei) would not be familiar with a phenomenon such as that - if it were a “famous” Taiwanese industry.

Culural differences - or is it just me with an unhealthy curiosity about how the world works?

[quote] or is it just me with an unhealthy curiosity about how the world works?[/quote]No such thing as unhealthy curiosity. Lose that and you can start another thread in the health and fitness forum. :slight_smile:

Lucky bastard.

Lucky bastard.[/quote]

I should be clear, unfortunately I used “us” as the conventional first person plural, not the slang/casual singular sometimes used in the UK as in "Give us a kiss darlin’ "

Two Taiwanese girlfriends all to myself would be very nice though.

They actually use the lights to attrackt mermaids, don’t know if they ever caught one tho. :laughing:

I know that fishermen all over the globe use this method.

The Taiwanese navy is using it to locate Chinese submarines. :noway:

They’re still fishing boats. They do use these very very bright lights and I also used to think they were coming from some huge boats until I saw them closer. They are there every evening. They line up because they need a certain amount of darkness around them. I guess the fishing harbour is not too close to Fulong, so the boats were quite far from you.
I’ve seen the other type of boats as well - the ones with non-blinding light. I think those are cooler.

[quote=“Josefus”]Don’t be silly. They were obviously UFO’s. This should be moved over to the Aliens thread immediately.[/quote]More likely to be pirates I think.

Maybe it was a huge school of Taiwan’s famous glow-in-the-dark fish.

growfish.com.au/content.asp?contentid=2913

Fishing boat lights are sometimes so bright you can see them on pictures from space.

Not sure if these are the same type of boats that Fruitloop saw, but they are lighted fishing boats from the northeast coast of Taiwan. I was wondering to myself, after spotting them for the first time, how the fishing crews manage to avoid a suntan at night? Just look at those light bulbs! :wink:

[quote=“seeker4”]I was wondering to myself, after spotting them for the first time, how the fishing crews manage to avoid a suntan at night?[/quote]Because they are incandescent and don’t emit ultra-violet light ?

They’re the same boats, seeker4.
(I live near a harbour, I’m not into fishing myself.)

I hadn’t even heard of those before your post. Thanks.

You know, I just don’t know if it is greed, ignorance, or stupidity that makes us think that we humans can control the outcome after manipulating the genes of other species and then inevitably flushing one of the “coolest inventions” down the toilet. I’d like to fast-forward 100 years from now to take a quick peek at the results.

Damn scientists have to ruin everything!