Receding hairline - what can be done?

What do the local females think about the receding hairline and/or shaved head look on a foreigner?

English teacher.

Well I went for a very long time in Taiwan believing that baldness was seemingly far less frequent in Taiwanese blokes, until I started to notice just how many damned rugs there are about town. I would suggest thatā€™s some indication of how the vast lump of Taiwanese female society stands on receding hairlines and the pretend-Iā€™m-not bald-shaved-head-look. Whether you choose to buy into it is your issue, of course.

HG

My colleague was told by a ā€œleading dermatologistā€ that he generally prescribes 5mg finasteride tabs, 5mg taken once every 5 days. I tried to research the rate of metabolism to see if this is good (I canā€™t see it myself) but it seems that there have been no such studies conducted. Iā€™m doing the 1.25mg a day thing too and my wife says itā€™s deffo working!

It doesnā€™t make you into a pussy because it doesnā€™t reduce your testosterone level, but the conversion to its metabolite, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the chemical responsible for male pattern baldness.

If you read the side effects carefully, you can see that the number of people affected by inability to come (the most severe side effect) is almost exactly the same with the control group and the study group.

I found out a couple of months back that my grandad (god rest his soul) was on finasteride for his BPH before he died. He had grown back a massive mane of thick white hair, the likes of which he hadnā€™t seen for 40 years or more!

This is a sad topic really. Whatā€™s there to be so insecure about?

Not insecure, just vain. Iā€™m 29 years old, I donā€™t want to be bald. For $2000 a month (Propecia) Iā€™ll go bald, but for under $500 a month (Proscar, Proleak, Fynasid) Iā€™ll just pop a pill every day and keep living the good life!

Propecia has the same active ingredient as Proscar (Finasteride) - itā€™s just present in 1/5 the concentration. So get Proscar and cut the pills into quarters.

Rogaine/Regaine and those other scalp washes arenā€™t worth the time or money. You have to spend what? 30 minutes twice a day massaging your scalp with the stuff, and I actually felt it made the problem worse before I quit using it and switched to a simple pill.

Iā€™ve heard that the finasteride route only works for about 5 years. I stopped taking it around 18 months to two years ago after using it for ~6 years and Iā€™ve begun to notice deterioration again so Iā€™m back on the stuff. No idea if itā€™ll work this time round.

Of course it depends a lot on your scull shape. I found a simple solution. I bought hair cutting machine, the same they use in hair salon. Use #2 length blade and cut my hair my-self for a last 3-4 years. Similar to military or jail type hairdo. Saved so much on shampoo, money on hairdressers,no hair brush.
:whistle: damn I look so sexy! :laughing:

[quote=ā€œBaas Babelaasā€]Iā€™m using Finasteride. I buy 10 5mg tablets for NT328. I chop each tab in 4 pieces (1.25mg) because the liver/kidneys canā€™t process more than 1mg daily.

So NT328/40 days = NT8.2/day. Affordable, and Iā€™ve seen results within two months.

Alternatively, I could just man up and go bald gracefully.

Possible side effects include impotence, decreased ejaculation, and a bushy unibrow :ponder:[/quote]

Where are you buying Finasteride at this price? Is it subsidized? Thanks.

For those follicle challenged men a new technique has arisen.
hishairclinic.com/
(And there is an office in Hong Kong)

Seems a little pricey but hard to tell from some of these images it is not real:

Phyto Axil was a good treatment for some spot baldness I had which was caused by lots and lots of stress - it was applied to the small areas where I had hair loss on my scalp and beard. Of course, becoming unstressed helped a lot so it is difficult to determine exactly how much I benefited from the treatment.
It smells nice anyway.

I would not use finistride / propecia for male pattern baldness. Many long term users are now reporting side effects (sexual dysfunction, depression) that persist even after stopping taking the tablets:

propeciahelp.com
propeciaclassaction.com
propeciasideeffects.com

Ketoconazole (anti dandruff drug) is the easiest treatment if your hair is thinning; studies show itā€™s almost as effective as minoxidil, and itā€™s easy to use (just wash your hair like normal but leave the shampoo on for 2-3 mins). You can buy 2% Nizoral Shampoo anywhere in Taiwan, or Carrefour do their own version; $800NT for 250ML. I wash my hair with this stuff every day for past 3-4 years, and my hair is significantly thicker than my brothers was when he was my age.

[quote]I would not use finistride / propecia for male pattern baldness. Many long term users are now reporting side effects (sexual dysfunction, depression) that persist even after stopping taking the tablets:

propeciahelp.com
propeciaclassaction.com
propeciasideeffects.com

Ketoconazole (anti dandruff drug) is the easiest treatment if your hair is thinning; studies show itā€™s almost as effective as minoxidil, and itā€™s easy to use (just wash your hair like normal but leave the shampoo on for 2-3 mins). You can buy 2% Nizoral Shampoo anywhere in Taiwan, or Carrefour do their own version; $800NT for 250ML. I wash my hair with this stuff every day for past 3-4 years, and my hair is significantly thicker than my brothers was when he was my age.[/quote]

After reading this I tossed the Finasteride out and bought some Nizoral (not cheap).

Letā€™s see what happens with my melon headā€¦

Sorry that was a mistake in the pricing above. The Carrefour generic ketoconazole 2% shampoo is called ZoDo, costs $360NT for a big 250ML bottle (compared to 100ML of Nizoral for same price) and lasts around 2 months washing every day. You find it next to the Nizoral; also contains no sulphates so leaves hair in nice condition.

Also i shouldnā€™t have said ā€œmanyā€ propecia users, itā€™s only a select few that have issues (but then why risk it).

[quote=ā€œBaas Babelaasā€][quote]I would not use finistride / propecia for male pattern baldness. Many long term users are now reporting side effects (sexual dysfunction, depression) that persist even after stopping taking the tablets:

propeciahelp.com
propeciaclassaction.com
propeciasideeffects.com

Ketoconazole (anti dandruff drug) is the easiest treatment if your hair is thinning; studies show itā€™s almost as effective as minoxidil, and itā€™s easy to use (just wash your hair like normal but leave the shampoo on for 2-3 mins). You can buy 2% Nizoral Shampoo anywhere in Taiwan, or Carrefour do their own version; $800NT for 250ML. I wash my hair with this stuff every day for past 3-4 years, and my hair is significantly thicker than my brothers was when he was my age.[/quote]

After reading this I tossed the Finasteride out and bought some Nizoral (not cheap).

Letā€™s see what happens with my melon headā€¦[/quote]

finistride is a DHT inhibitor. Nizoral also acts this way but since it is applied locally, likely to be less harmful.
Minoxidil (Rogaine) prolongs the active growing phase of each remaining hair before falling out and starting a new cycle, thus more hair. It also seems to delay the complete and irreversible dying of the hair follicle.

In the laboratory new hair follicle have been grown successfully already. If you can delay getting bald a few more years this might come just in time.

I am using Nizoral and Minoxidil periodically, 10 month Minoxidil then a few month Nizoral after that a year nothing and Nizoral.
I am doing this for about 7 years now and my hair-loss has slowed down. However a view more years and Iā€™ll get desperate at the very top of my head.

laboratory! Please hurry up! :pray:

Hi, can anybody please provide info on where to purchase 2% Nizoral / Ketoconazole shampoo in Taipei now? Google searches and searches on big shopping websites (Carrefour, Watsons, PCHome, iHerb) turn up no results, specifically searching for brands mentioned previously (ZuDo/ē§‘多shampoo, ä»å±±åˆ©čˆ’) seem to have disappeared. A trip to Watsons this weekend I found nothing, and the lady at the counter did not seem to know what I was talking about. Is this still easily purchased somewhere in Taiwan?

Itā€™s gotta be there. Try another pharmacy and show them a picture on your phone of Nizoral, the brand name. The Zudo generics should be right beside it.
Donā€™t quote me but I think it is 酮åŗ·å”‘ę“—é«®

What is Nizoral used for? Fungal infections?

Double duty.
Officially it is for people with severe dandruff caused by fungal infections. Some people use it if their scalp is scaly and oily caused by fungus.

The second off label use is that it helps with male pattern baldness by reducing dht in the scalp. Some studies showed this but the manufacturer doesnt claim that.

A warning if anyone is planning to use this stuff, I wouldnā€™t use it more than twice a week or your hair is going to frizz up and look like straw and then it will dry the crap outta your scalp.

1 Like