Recipes using ground lamb?

Well? :lick:

This could be interesting.
Spaghetti a la bolognese a la minced lamb!!!

Shepard’s pie. I have some interesting pasta recipes as well, but I can’t remember at work.

I don’t have any tried and true recipes, just stuff I’ve downloaded, so at first I’ll probably improvise – take some fresh poblano chiles off the balcony (you could substitute a bell pepper), optionally roasted and peeled first, seeded, cut the tops off, stuff with a mixture of ground lamb (sauteed first with onions and garlic in olive oil), rice pilaf, toasted pinenuts and shredded cheese (pick something nice and suitable of course). Roast that under the broiler and serve with some enchilada sauce.

Here’s one I modified from a version off the internet I’m eager to try:

PIZZA WITH SPICY LAMB TOPPING
Make pizza crust. Gently and briefly sauté 1 c. ground lamb, 3/4 c. finely chopped onions, 3/4 c. finely chopped combination of semi-hot chiles and peppers (poblanos, Hungarian peppers, Anaheim chilies) in olive oil until lamb is browned (adding salt to taste). Drain any excess grease. Sprinkle atop pizza crust, along with 1 c. finely chopped peeled tomatoes, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, 1/4 c. chopped mint leaves, and 1/2 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley. (Hmm, now what is this missing?)
Bake in preheated 550 degree oven about 15 to 20 minutes or until dough is a nice golden brown and the topping is sizzling.

why not do that with some merguez like seasoning and couscous?

Sounds good. Thanks
I am also interested in a good shepards’ pie recipe.

Shepard’s Pie? Easy. Make a nice mashed potato (seasoned). Take the left overs from that nice leg or butterfly of lamb and then chop it up, season if required. Mix with a bag of frozen mixed veggies (doesn’t work as well with fresh as they can get overcooked) and put in a baking dish. Put the mashed potato on top of the meat. Put a nice slice of butter on top of the potato and bake at a medium-high temp until the potato gets a nice color to it.

Keema version.

6oo gms of minced lamb (mutton preferably). Wash and remove all excess water.

Preparation :make a paste of 10-12 garlic cloves, 1 inch ginger and 3-4 green chillies and half a cup of coriander leaves…
Chop3 medium onions finely.Keep aside juice of 2 lemons.
Boil 4 eggs, cool, peel and cut into quarter for decoration. Although I like mine sliced.
Crush peppercorns.

Spices needed: coriander powder, garm masala, chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, cloves, cinnamon, green cardamom and cumin seeds.

Heat 3 tablespoonsghee/oil in a thick bottomed pan and add cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon stick. After 10-15 secs. add chopped onions and cook till golden brown. Keep stirring or they can char quickly. Then add the ginger/garlic/chili/coriander paste and saute for half a minute.

Add the mutton mince and cook on high heat stirring continuously for 10 mins. Add the coriander powder. mix well. Stir in 1 and a half cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally. I like to add sweet peas at this point . If the meat is still not cooked, add more water and cook.

Add salt, pepper, garam masala, remaining coriander leaves, and mint leaves. Mix well. Serve hot, decorated with eggs.

The consistency should be a little thicker than Bolognese.

Enjoy

1 Like

When you said ground lamb, I immediately thought Moroccan meatballs. Found this:
maroque.co.uk/printme.aspx?id=9
Looks like a great, wholesome salt of the earth meal. Makes for good leftovers too!

The couscous is a good idea, and will help me finish off that box in the cupboard. What would you recommend for the merguez seasonings?
I’m not familiar with that, but googling pulls up a list like this for making merguez sausages:
3 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 1/2 cups diced roasted red peppers
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
1/4 cup dry red wine, chilled

:ponder:

Here’s another:

uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/607697

Yeah, that’s it. Think of it like an open sausage. You don’t need it cured so you can ditch some of the salt a sugar. You got any roti/schwarma/pita pocket type bread to roll-it up in? A parsley type sauce for it?

Get some couscous and now all you need is a veg - like an eggplant roasted over your stove top burner, peeled and mixed with some olive oil garlic and cilantro.

Thanks, Elegua. [quote=“Elegua”]You got any roti/schwarma/pita pocket type bread to roll-it up in?[/quote]

Have I got flour and an oven? :smiley:

Man, that’s hard core :notworthy:

Moussaka.

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab … 6812.shtml

Aloo keema.

bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/datab … 9990.shtml

And this one should be right up Dragonbones’ alley… Lahmacun.

mymerhaba.com/Lahmacun-in-Turkey-1834.html

You mean “Shepherd’s Pie”, of course. :wink:

[quote=“TomHill”]And this one should be right up Dragonbones’ alley… Lahmacun.

mymerhaba.com/Lahmacun-in-Turkey-1834.html[/quote]

Oh, that looks good, thanks! I’ll definitely try that.

You mean “Shepherd’s Pie”, of course. :wink:[/quote]

:blush: Eye spel fonetikaly

Great Topic! :thumbsup:

After the Greek Moussaka fortunately already was mentioned, I would like to add:

Super delicious and very traditional: Ćevapčići & Pljescavica (Serbian, or some might say “Yugoslavian”, minced meat “steak” dishes, the latter is especially great with sheep/goat cheese filling - but I am still missing the Ajvar sauce here in Taiwan… and didn’t get around making it myself yet)
ezycook.com/europe_favorite.html (yep, even the Vegeta spice mix is available in Taiwan hehehe)

To make en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pljeskavica just use the same dough to make “beefsteaks”, and fill them with sheep/goat cheese. GREAT for BBQ, but also perfect fried in a pan.

Lamb Cannelloni “Greek style”. A yummy crossover dish a friend of mine “invented”. The directions are already uploaded here: chefkoch.de/rezepte/49843114 … hisch.html Sorry, only in German - but if anyone is interested, I can translate :slight_smile:

Normally I make my lamb minced meat myself though, just to get a less fatty product. Fortunately I took my trusty old meat mincer from Germany…

[quote=“olm”]Great Topic! :thumbsup:

After the Greek Moussaka fortunately already was mentioned, I would like to add:

Super delicious and very traditional: Ćevapčići & Pljescavica (Serbian, or some might say “Yugoslavian”, minced meat “steak” dishes, the latter is especially great with sheep/goat cheese filling - but I am still missing the Ajvar sauce here in Taiwan… and didn’t get around making it myself yet)
ezycook.com/europe_favorite.html (yep, even the Vegeta spice mix is available in Taiwan hehehe)

To make en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pljeskavica just use the same dough to make “beefsteaks”, and fill them with sheep/goat cheese. GREAT for BBQ, but also perfect fried in a pan.

Lamb Cannelloni “Greek style”. A yummy crossover dish a friend of mine “invented”. The directions are already uploaded here: chefkoch.de/rezepte/49843114 … hisch.html Sorry, only in German - but if anyone is interested, I can translate :slight_smile:

Normally I make my lamb minced meat myself though, just to get a less fatty product. Fortunately I took my trusty old meat mincer from Germany…[/quote]
You can make Ajvar yourself, it isn’t that hard, I have a good recipe if you want.
I have just made some cevap last week, that’s why i needed the lamb. :slight_smile:
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=75668&start=40