Recommendations for a high-end restaurant to take a family near Taipei Main Station

I don’t know anything about high-end restaurants in Taipei, so I’d appreciate any suggestions. It doesn’t have to be near Taipei Main Station precisely - any of the nearby stations will do. Ideally, somewhere with good vegetarian options. The only other rule is NO Western food please, as I’m going to Taiwan from Europe.

1 Like

How about Din Tai Feng, either the Nanxi branch in the basement of Shinkong Mitsukoshi Department store immediately next to Zhongshan MRT Station (one stop away) or in the basement of Fuxing Sogo immediately next to Zhongxiao-Fuxing MRT Station (three stops away)?

If you want to eat right at Taipei Main Station, there are heaps of options up on the second floor of the station proper, although I am uncertainly whether vegetarian options would be best represented up there.

Guy

2 Likes

If you don’t want western Three Coins has got to be a no-brainer. Duck pancakes…

EDIT: not sure about the vegetarian options

Isn’t Din Tai Feng just a “normal” place for Taiwanese people to go? Same as the options on the second floor of Taipei Main Station? I’m really looking for places where money is no object. For example, maybe a buffet at a fancy hotel? (Though I’m not sure if in such places you’re paying for the quality or merely the quantity of the food.)

OK, if that’s your game, then how about the three star Cantonese Michelin joint in the Fleur de Chine Hotel immediately next to Taipei Main Station? :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

You can try the restaurant in Palais de Chine Hotel君品酒店 connected underground to the main station, they have Mic Star one and its I say very high end in price and you need a reservation. On top of Q square mall. (They also have a buffet)

FYI for others near the station: La Caja de Musica樂盒子 , it’s Spanish not local food but good !

About 5 min walk North from the east exits is Shijie Vegetarian Restaurant 世界素食餐廳, local Taiwanese and no meat

2 Likes

Great minds think alike. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

My girlfriends family really seems to love this place

鵝肉大王活海產餐廳
02 2953 1000

It’s a seafood restaurant. It’s a little far from main station.

There’s also this one all the way in tamsui that serves a special chicken that’s pretty good

大老二石窯雞
02 8631 7272

I think it’s this one. They use a special oven to cook it

1 Like

That’s not vegetarian food.

And that’s nowhere near Taipei Main Station. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Looking at the menu now. I didn’t realise that restaurants this expensive actually exist in Taiwan! :astonished:

Okay, maybe money is a little bit of an object after all. :wink:

4 Likes

I thought you might come around. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

But I’ll keep this place in mind for when I need to wine and dine a girlfriend’s parents to win her hand in marriage or something like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: On a more careful perusal of this menu… I take that back too!

1 Like

Hotel also has a cheaper Buffet.

About 5 min walk North from the east exits is Shijie Vegetarian Restaurant 世界素食餐廳, local Taiwanese and no meat and moderate costs.

1 Like

I’ve said Three Coins. That’s it.

It looks promising! Definitely a contender!

1 Like

Near is relative isn’t it? I don’t think banqiao is so far from main station.

I think they serve cabbage if that helps

You said Zhonghe and Danshui, not Banqiao.

For the record, I am with you, and I am willing to travel to such places to eat well, including at the tasty Burmese places in Zhonghe (not however what most would think of as “fine dining”). :yum:

Guy

1 Like

3 Coins doesn’t look great for vegetarians and I can’t find a link to book a table/see prices at the Palais de Chine Hotel buffet (although, judging by the photos, I think I actually went there once).

OK, let me throw another option out there—a bit further afield, likely requiring a short taxi ride, but vegetarian friendly and highly distinct: Joseph Bistro, featuring the work of owner-chef Joseph, a man from Goa presiding over an open kitchen visible through this clean well-designed space.

Guy

2 Likes

Try calling the hotel and ask, I always walked there from our Taipei office so never made a reservation and was easy to catch the train south. They also used have a beer garden on the outdoor patio but that was while ago not sure it’s still there and better like warm urban heat.
One last tip, there are better hotel rooms in the city so better just eat there than to stay.

1 Like