Recommended dual layer DVD burner?

[quote=“jlick”]Before you look at buying a dual layer drive, see these two threads:

[DVD+R9 disc availabilty?
[Pioneer DVR-108 DVD*RW drive available here?

The information there is a bit out of date now, but is still mostly valid. Bottom line is that in my opinion dual layer media is too expensive to be usable now. My guess is that it will be around Feb-March timeframe next year before it is affordable. Right now affordable, quality media is 4X and 8X speed single layer only.[/quote]
Thing is, though, at least from what I’ve read, 16X is the limit for DVD. So by buying a 16X drive now, you avoid buying what will be a technically-obsolete drive in five months (your timeframe of Feb-March).

25GB for Blu-Ray sounds nice! But the price/performance is just too high. You’re quoting 50X the cost for 2.6X the storage, not to mention that unless/until other people buy the drives, you’re going to be the only one on the island with that drive, and can’t share the media around (which may or may not be a consideration, depending on your application – I just made some Morphix CD-R’s for someone last night).