Recommended repairman for water leaks

With the non-stop rain, my apartment has a leak. I have both 5th and 4th floors so there’s no one upstairs to blame. The good part is that I also don’t need to coordinate with anyone to get it fixed.
I’ve always wanted to get the plexiglass room waterproofed, but have delayed because I’m lazy.
Any recommendations? My landlord should take care of it but is really tiresome to ask him to repair as they go for the cheapest one that can’t seem to fix the problem. If I find a repairman, I’m certain the landlord will take care of half of the cost.

1 Like

I guess you need to determine what leaks. Roof? Walls? Windows? Pipes?

True. It is coming from the 4th floor ceiling but there is no water on the 5th floor.

A mystery!

Very strange indeed. Guess I’ll be busy for the next few weeks trying to find a reputable repairman.

Can you see the concrete ceiling from 4th floor? See where it is leaking exactly? And what is at / around that same spot on 5th floor? Any suspicion of pipes there? If not near any walls this may be a pipe leak. If near the wall, it may be coming from outside.

Perhaps check with landlord after all. If you cannot diagnose the problem without breaking open the ceiling or floor then I do not think a repairman will be able to diagnose it without doing that either.

1 Like

got pics?

follow the joints in concrete. and/or cracks. many houses are so poorly built that most people just build the “metal skin” floor on the roof and waterproof that. but depends a lot. are you connected to other houses? If large cracks or gaps exist between it could be a bigger hassle.

the resin paints also work ok if it’s just a flat roof with no other buildings connected or influencing yours.

2 Likes

I had exactly same situation. So in my case 5th floor is rooftop apartment. And it’s outdoor walls are not aligned with 4th floor. Outdoor walls 5th floor are 10 cm towards inside than 4th floor. So along that gap there was huge long crack where water got into 4th floor ceiling but didn’t affect 5th floor. Got 2 alpinist handyman who hanged on ropes and sealed those cracks. Took them half day and cost 20 000ntd (mostly for their bravery:))

2 Likes

I don’t know it seems like in Taiwan, you’re in it you fix it.

2 Likes

Could be various reasons for there to be a leak on the 4th floor but not the 5th floor. Could be circumventing through the wall, could be pipe or a drain that’s getting water backed up, could be your an air conditioner that’s somehow having water dripped into it from the outside and backing up, just so many reasons. Not just clear-cut and dry so to speak.

2 Likes

Only if you have a true slumlord. Why should someone renting a space take care of a structural issue? I do agree though, if you want it done by the landlord, he will absolutely use the cheapest, most ineffective option. If you plan on living there for a few years, it’s not the end of the world to pour some extra cash in.

2 Likes

I bet this is my issue

Not to hijack this thread, but does anybody have a recommendation for a “roof” guy? We need to have the metal roof above us replaced. We are on the top floor. Will likely need a crane as there is no easy access, but there is a chimney-style ladder to go up and check it out.

Like I said, ‘you’re in it, you fix it’ seems to be the common default in Taiwan, at all price levels.

I guess you also could call then slumlord. It is what it is.

‘Why’ is another question.

Logic vs reality :slight_smile:

Location?

Songshan.

Daan

1 Like