Recommended thermometers (for body temperature) for home use?

So I grew up with thermometers that went under your tongue and took forever. I gather technology and/or methods have progressed since then. I’d like to buy a thermometer here in Taiwan to measure body temperature: can anyone recommend a specific brand or type?

Nothing fancy, just a routine type of thing to keep in the first-aid kit. Obviously covid-19 is the immediate prompt for this this, but I’ve been meaning to get one for years anyway.

Stop by your local baby supply store. They usually have the best selection for all types of thermometers. The under-the-tongue type thermometers have been updated and they don’t take long to beep at all.

2 Likes

They beep?! Oh, what a brave new world!

You been living under a rock or something? I grew up with this kind.

No, but my memories of these thermometers possibly predate Reagan.

Oh lordy, little cartoon dog girl, step into the 90s!

Go with the ear ones

Fast, accurate, and way more workable when you got a squirmy feverish kid on your hands.
Never mind a Taiwanese girl.

3 Likes

It’s not shaped like that to go under the tongue! :flushed:

900 NTD from the local pharmacy (they don’t seem to be flying of the shelves, by had to ask for it). Accurate and easy to use. Widely accepted results, as my pharmacist and doctor uses the same model by carrying it around and showing the results to avoid “public use” thermometers.

1 Like

I ain’t got one of these so the one I have is adequate for my feverish adult needs.

Mom used to stick it under my armpits and add a degree or so before I could be trusted to do an under-the-tongue measurement properly. Can’t recall the times it got stuck up my ass, thankfully.

1 Like

Are you sure she wasn’t using one of these??

1 Like

IIRC Reagan was very very old, so I think you might be exaggerating.

I didn’t know they beeped now either, though. The ones I remember had a kink in the capilliary which I THINK was a “hold” function for the mercury (though that sounds a bit implausible, and mercury sounds a bit toxic. Maybe they were alcohol but I don’t think so.)

They were kept in a special starched pocket over the nurses special starched boobs, and when she’d finished she’d give it a violent… er… jerk to re-settle the liquid, somehow dominatrix-esque.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Come to think of it, I’ve never even seen one of the old-fashioned mercury thermometers in real life… :thermometer:

I’m sure in most cases, it’s sufficient to check whether your nose is cold…