Record Clearance for APRC

I’m starting the process to apply for my APRC, having completed the 7-consecutive-year requirement (working consistently, in the country the required amount of time each year). I’m an individual – my application has nothing to do with marriage or money.

My first step is to obtain a Record Clearance (police report) from my home country. Actually, I’ve been told I only need a clearance from my home state; not the federal government. Once I get that record, I need to have it translated into Chinese, then notarized. I’m told that it can only be notarized in my home country – not even AIT can handle this. Is that true? Is there any other way/place to get that document notarized? Because it’s going to be a big hassle to get that done there, while I’m here. If there’s no other way, however, I’ll just have to do what I have to do.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

[quote=“purpleflower”]I’m starting the process to apply for my APRC, having completed the 7-consecutive-year requirement (working consistently, in the country the required amount of time each year). I’m an individual – my application has nothing to do with marriage or money.

My first step is to obtain a Record Clearance (police report) from my home country. Actually, I’ve been told I only need a clearance from my home state; not the federal government. Once I get that record, I need to have it translated into Chinese, then notarized. I’m told that it can only be notarized in my home country – not even AIT can handle this. Is that true? Is there any other way/place to get that document notarized? Because it’s going to be a big hassle to get that done there, while I’m here. If there’s no other way, however, I’ll just have to do what I have to do.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.[/quote]

I got it notarized at the TECRO office in Atlanta. I had my police clearance mailed to me from Chamblee, Georgia. I when mailed it back to Atlanta to be notarized. The whole process took about a month.

Ludahai –

Thank you for sharing your experience! I will ask the police-records people to send my report directly to me here in Taiwan, then I’ll send it to the TECRO office in Los Angeles, and hope they’ll be agreeable to sending it back to me, here.

How about the translation part? I assume you had that done here, right? Did you need to hire a professional translation agency, or just get anyone who’s competent in both languages to help out? If you used a pro, please send me their contact details.

I got my police clearance first, then sent it to Teco’s Seattle office from Taiwan, where they certified (notarized) it for $15, then mailed it back to me here.

Then I got that translated and notarized here (at the Chung Ching United Notary Office, 2388-8688.) None of it was really hassle, it was just a matter of mailing stuff.

Excellent! Thanks a lot. I’ll do just that, too.

Hang on, aren’t you elligible to get a Taiwan police clearance if you’ve lived here over five years?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Hang on, aren’t you elligible to get a Taiwan police clearance if you’ve lived here over five years?

HG[/quote]

I don’t think so. I’ve been here over 10 and I still had to get a police record from my local station, even though I haven’t lived there in like 20 years.

I need a Taiwan police clearance – in addition to a police clearance from my home country. This discussion has been about the latter. Indeed, obtaining a Taiwan police report should be very straightforward and easy, from what I’ve been told.

If it’s like my experience (I forgot to get my CCRD for marriage notarised), you’ll have to pay TECRO the postage back. If you’ve got friends or relatives to help, the best thing would probably be for the Police in your state to send it c/o your friend’s address and have your friend take it into TECRO with a prepared and paid postal envelope.

Brian

The Taiwan police report is an easy process.

Bu Lai En – In my case, I picked up my police letter from my hometown, but waited until I was back in Taiwan to get it certified by TECO (I didn’t have enough time when I was in the US to be bothered with sending it, etc.). I just stuck some cash in the envelope and register mailed it and they sent it back here pretty quickly, with the change enclosed (minus the certification fee and regular postage).

I totally appreciate everyone’s input on this! You’ve all helped a lot. Thank you.