Recruiting swimmers to cross Penghu Bay

To who may interesting

I’m looking forward swimming lovers who may interest traveling to Penghu (an island locates west side of Taiwan) to challenge crossing Penghu bay from 6000m (you cross the bay), or 3000m, or 500m, which depend one your capability. Due to enroll the event, it’s required to team up at least 6 so I’m looking forward any swimming lovers who may interest such event. I’m currently having a b trip in China and I should be able to make a trip to Penghu up to then.
I crossed sun moon lake in 2011. It was my first time and was fun indeed except too crowd due to too many swimmers dipped in limited route in the same time. after that crossing, I’m expecting another longer distance as challenge and the open sea should have better personal space while swimming.

The date will be on 2012 Sep 23. Following are official links regarding the event but it’s in Chinese. If someone could find any info in English and posted here will be really appreciated.
The maps of location are attached in below as well. the crossing route should be as the line in red.

as mentioned I’m traveling China for business purpose, i may reply late so plz take my apology in advance. Penghu is a breathtaking island and u don’t want to miss it. so…let me know

phsportmap.com.tw/characters … d=6&no=184

taiwan.net.tw/festival/user/arti … o=02001378

image of zoomed out penghu

image of zoomed in penghu with estimated route

me! me! me! me! me! me!

me too!

awesome!! we need 3 more

Do we all have to swim the same distance to be in the group? I’m in if we are doing the 3000m, not the 6000m!

korat, do you want to put the application together? i can get my assistant to help with it, since it’s in Chinese. Send me a PM with your contact info.

By the way – I think I know one more interested party and I think I’ll post in a Taichung FB forum in a few minutes to see if anyone there is interested.

Do you know off-hand what the cap is on group size?

nope, u can swim whatever distance u prefer, and even if you feel uncomfortable during the swimming, there should be always a boat to pick u up.

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]korat, do you want to put the application together? i can get my assistant to help with it, since it’s in Chinese. Send me a PM with your contact info.

By the way – I think I know one more interested party and I think I’ll post in a Taichung FB forum in a few minutes to see if anyone there is interested.

Do you know off-hand what the cap is on group size?[/quote]

that sounds great!!! i will see what info is required for the application and pm u my contact info. thanks in advance

i wish i can join the party if i’m not traveling in china… i’m from taichung too…sigh

it said the small group is required at least 6, big group (from a company or something) is required at least 100. i don’t see the cap on any group sizes, but they only allow enrollment of 1000 male and 1000 female, and 2000 for total.

Crap… it seems like no 6km in this year according to the official link below… the application can be found in same link but it’s in Chinese only. I’m asking if any image of swimming route is available at penghu.gov.tw/ch//home.jsp? … 1203170001

I don’t know about reward in this year. But same event in last year, a high school kid from Changhau, Taichung finished at 1hr19mins12sec and putted NTD$30K in his pocket.

Official info and applications
penghu.gov.tw/ch//home.jsp? … 1206180001

hi, ichbinjenny if u r still good to help with putting all apps together, I may need u pm me ur bank account# so I can wire u enrollment fee NTD$350

sharks ?

Good point. There was some TV news related to sharks spotted in the South. Not sure which kind though…
Would love to go - but timing ain’t right

Decades ago Taiwan was full of sharks. But too much over fishing probably means most or all of them are gone. But there has been the occasional shark here and there.

I remember in 79 i was swimming between two sunfish small sailboats about 200feet off shore in Fulung and a fishing boat came by and warned us of sharks and told us not to swim there.

He may have been bluffing but I took his word and stopped swimming out there.

Korat – Will do. Yes, I can put the application together. My assistant will help do that later in the week. If anyone else is interested in joining, please PM me or reply here.

[quote=“tommy525”]Decades ago Taiwan was full of sharks. But too much over fishing probably means most or all of them are gone. But there has been the occasional shark here and there.

I remember in 79 I was swimming between two sunfish small sailboats about 200feet off shore in Fulong and a fishing boat came by and warned us of sharks and told us not to swim there.

He may have been bluffing but I took his word and stopped swimming out there.[/quote]

that’s why i carry diving-knife when i was swimming or surfing in open sea. i may still lose my legs but i will make sure to take its fins off as well. i guess that’s how Chinese started to eat shark fins haha…

as pm, we need a name of team and main contact

Bummer that there’s no 6 km, but a chance to win some money is exciting! Any idea what the winning woman’s time was last year?

couldn’t find that record

Hi, is sign up over? I am very interested in participating please :smiley:

the enrollment will be ended by July28. ichbinjenny was previoulsy good to help with collecting applications since i’m currently having b-trip in China, but no further contacts since the discussion of how to wiring her the enrollment fee $350. however, i finally received the reply from Penghu City regarding the swimming route of the event in this year, and found that no 6km crossing the bay as predicated is firmed. the route, instead, will be circling around the arranged poles as following link which it’s disappointed… i was looking forward to cross the bay as a challenge but not circling in a open-sea-swimming-pool… it’s good to visit tho if u have never been there before

route

appa,

Send a PM to ichbinjenny and she will send you the information and sign-up form. I’ve started my training for the swim. It’s fun to have something to aim for.