Red Beans and Ham Hocks

MMMMMM! Just got some red beans from the local market, they heve them at 7-11 too. Get a cooked ham hock at Aiamai, or G-Mart. Go home, cook the hocks again. Boil the red beans for a couple hours with lots of water. Add some chopped garlic, some salt and pepper and pop in the cooked hocks. I like to strip the hocks before it goes in the bean pot.
Just settled in with a BIG bowl of beans and hocks. Damn! Good way to beat the cold and rain.

[quote=“Enigma”]MMMMMM! Just got some red beans from the local market, they heve them at 7-11 too. Get a cooked ham hock at Aiamai, or G-Mart. Go home, cook the hocks again. Boil the red beans for a couple hours with lots of water. Add some chopped garlic, some salt and pepper and pop in the cooked hocks. I like to strip the hocks before it goes in the bean pot.
Just settled in with a BIG bowl of beans and hocks. Damn! Good way to beat the cold and rain.[/quote]

Sounds OSSUM, Enigma! I use my Virginia Smoked ham for that. Also add a bit of barley. Yum!

I used your bacon with the beans. And those white sausages which tasted pretty nice, too.

Yeah, that bacon of mine has a pretty good smoky flavour. Which white sausages were those that you tried again?

No idea. They were small, they were white… hey, you gave them to me!

Ah. Likely they were veal sausages!

I’ll have to ask my coworker, it was his stuff… :smiley:

Next time toss in a bay leaf and simmer the hock first in a little olive oil you used to saute onions and garlic in. Then do the beans.

Sounds delicious. But just remember. Being “sealed” indoors with bean eaters??

It’s not as bad as sharing a tent with nineteen (I was number 20) 20-something year old guys that all had double helpings (at least) of split yellow pea soup with pork for dinner…

It’s not as bad as sharing a tent with nineteen (I was number 20) 20-something year old guys that all had double helpings (at least) of split yellow pea soup with pork for dinner…[/quote]

That’s cuz you know nothing bout " L’air du tommy" makes WW1 mustard gas seem no worse then banchiao air.

Dunno about no ham hocks, but I got treated by rice-t the other day to smoked tongue, courtesy of El Toro. He was doing his boerwurst too, but alas, I couldn’t stay to try it. I’ll for sure be placing an order with El Toro very soon.
Man, that tongue was fucking EXCELLENT!

Good time to champ up for El Toro. If you haven’t tried his wares, your really missing out. His Virginia Smoked Ham is out of the ball park! I tried a few products and have NEVER been dissapointed. Try it. Absolutely GREAT.
By the way, I was sorry to here that BP is leaving Patio28. I was there recently and he treated me to some Herring Roll Mop. Love the damned herring. I always have a jar in the fridge from Costco when in the States. He told me that P&P has it and will go get some. Damned fine stuff. BP, I will keep going to P28 but, I doubt it will be the same.

[quote=“Enigma”]Good time to champ up for El Toro. If you haven’t tried his wares, your really missing out. His Virginia Smoked Ham is out of the ball park! I tried a few products and have NEVER been dissapointed. Try it. Absolutely GREAT.
[/quote]

Thanks Enigma! Gotta admit, the Virginia ham is my favourite out of the 4 or so hams I have. Smoked, but not overbearingly so, and by the way, it’s great when heated thru in a non-stick pan and served on your favourite home-made bread that’s been toasted, perhaps a smidgen of hot English mustard added, and maybe a nice poached egg…bliss!

Of course, I also have some “new” products added to my list, ie stewing beef (boneless chuck) and ground/minced beef, which I do myself. I use Australian beef. $450 per kilo in both cases-but you’re not paying for bone and there is precious little fat.

Virgina Smoked Ham? I’m impressed. That’s bad bitch to make.

You should try some of mine…supposing you’re in Taiwan. It’s bloody awesome!

[quote=“Enigma”]…
By the way, I was sorry to here that BP is leaving Patio28. I was there recently and he treated me to some Herring Roll Mop. Love the damned herring. I always have a jar in the fridge from Costco when in the States. He told me that P&P has it and will go get some. Damned fine stuff. BP, I will keep going to P28 but, I doubt it will be the same.[/quote]

The herring rollmop will come to Taipei … soon … promised :lick:

Where can you get hocks? I mean the smoked ones?

Would this do?
Mayfull - German Style Smoked Ham Hock