Registering a scooter requires a license?

Hi all,

I am tired with waiting for bus everyday then I am going to buy a motobike. So, is it possible to buy a motobike without drive license? Please give me an advise…

Thanks,

Tom

yes…under 250cc I believe

It is no problem to register a bike (up to 250cc) without having any driving license.
I’ve bought a 125cc scooter 3 months ago in Taipei. Had the insurance and title changed without being asked for any license (got my Taiwanese one a few days later… ). However, get your Taiwanese license. It costs basically nothing and takes only about 2 hours of your time…

Gunnar

Huifeng, note that buying a bike and riding it legally are two different things. Are you also planning on riding it? :wink:

JD and Gunnar are correct.

DB, all we can do is give people the information and hope they use it. Gunnar is right that, providing the OP qualifies for a local license, it is a fairly easy procedure.

Of course, if the OP is here on a student visa and hence doesn’t qualify for a local license, he will be in a difficult position. To comply with the law, he should just get about on foot and by bicycle, taxi, and public transport.

the answer to your question:
yes!
issues:
no A.R.C. - transfer title;
no!
have A.R.C., but no license, and
pay for insurance ,but have insurance;
no!
just give the guy the money and drive the bike;
only if he is a fool ( he’s the registered owner )

my question ( and gawd i’m going to get
zinged for this ).
are you an english teacher?
“I am tired of waiting for the bus everyday
and I want to buy a motobike. So, is it possible
to buy a motobike without a driver’s license?
Please give me some advice…”

in 2 1/2 years on taiwan ( concesson to aristotle )
i’ve seen more prone bodies on the pavement here
than five decades back home.
not counting ‘out of body visions’ of myself!
TAKE THE BUS!
save money, and
THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN !

My wife went down to the vehicle department yesterday to register a scooter in my name.
They told her I need a driver’s license to do this. :unamused:

In the past years I have had several scooters in my name without a license.
Is this a new law in Taiwan or just a new law for foreigners? Or is someone that doesn’t know their job just bullshitting as usual…?

[quote=“Hongda”]My wife went down to the vehicle department yesterday to register a scooter in my name.
They told her I need a driver’s license to do this. :unamused:

In the past years I have had several scooters in my name without a license.
Is this a new law in Taiwan or just a new law for foreigners? Or is someone that doesn’t know their job just bullshitting as usual…?[/quote]

One of the latter two.

Don’t know about new law. About a year ago, I registered a scooter without a Taiwanese license with no problems. Just needed ID as I recall.

I merged a recent thread on the same topic into this one. So there are now some posts above Hongda’s.

Hongda, this is the first I’ve heard of this. The first and obvious suggestion is to try another clerk or another office in order to get a “second opinion”, as it were! I believe you can transfer vehicle registration at any DMV office: doesn’t have to be the one closest to you.

But in any case, doing the riding test here is a fairly easy procedure and it’s well worth getting a license!

Thanks Joe, I’ll try tis and see what happens.

From the Motor Vehicle Law:

[quote=“The Powers That Be in the ROC”]Article 16
Vehicle owners applying to register a vehicle under one of the foregoing circumstances [transfer of ownership being one of them] must fill out an application form and attach the following documentary proof:

1. For an application for vehicle registration in the name of an individual, a National ID card, military ID, Alien Residence Permit or valid drivers’ license must be submitted for checking.[/quote]

That would sound like a driver’s license should be OK in place of an ARC. However, there are minimum permitted residence requirements for a driver’s license – Article 50, No. 3:

[quote=“Those Darn Powers That Be Again”]3. Foreign nationals, persons from Mainland China or those without a domicile in the Taiwan area must present proof of approval for stay of one year or more" [/quote]and you can’t get a DL without an ARC AFAIK so basically you are out of luck if you’re not in Taiwan for at least a year.
But, see Article 55 on international licenses:

[quote=“The Powers That Be in the ROC Continued and”]3. Drivers holding a valid international driver’s license issued by a counterpart nation may drive in the ROC without additional permission; if a person stays more than 30 days in the ROC, he should fill out an application for endorsement of International Driver’s License and submit this to the highway competent authority for endorsement.
4. The maximum endorsement period for an international license is one year. Drivers whose original license or documentation of period of authorized residence has a valid period of less than one year may not operate a motor vehicle after the expiration date of whichever of these documents expires first.[/quote]

So, sounds to me as though you could make the case that your valid International Driver’s License IS a license, and you should then not require an ARC to register a vehicle, as you are submitting a valid driver’s license. The law does NOT state specifically that it has to be a valid ROC license. However, as usual, if they don’t feel like it, good luck with that.

In re validity term for driver’s licenses:

In short, I have no idea, but I doubt the government does, either… :smiley:

Thanks Ironlady. I think you may have misunderstood Hongda’s situation though. As I understand it (though he didn’t state this specifically) he has an ARC but was told by an official that this was not sufficient. The bit of law that you quoted would certainly seem to indicate that an ARC would be sufficient, at least for registration of the vehicle. I think that my suggestion to get a second opinion may well turn out to be fruitful.

Oh, I know. I’m just spewing out the sections of the law I have open in another document on my computer right now anyway, so as to have the information down here if it’s needed at some point. He might be able to avoid getting a TW license if he wants, though, with the international license thing, although I suppose the period of the endorsement will end up being “variable” based on the whim of the person endorsing (if they’ve even heard of the whole thing).

[quote=“ironlady”]…I suppose the period of the endorsement will end up being “variable” based on the whim of the person endorsing (if they’ve even heard of the whole thing).[/quote]This is actually something they appear to be pretty clued up on, based on my own experience and the reported experiences of others. I have a Taiwan-issued motorbike license but a Taiwan-endorsed IDL for cars. The length of validity of local licenses and IDL endorsements seems to be standardised to the duration of the ARC now.

But I’ve just PM’d you asking for further information on something that doesn’t seem to be standardised yet. Seems like a good time as you’ve got the document open now! (Well, if you’ve got time, that is.)

I do have an ARC.
I found these websites (below) but not sure about the English meanings…“The Driving permit” and “motor license”. I guess they mean vehicle registration card?
Anyway we will just try again with another clerk and be prepared this time to ask some questions concerning the law.
My wife went on her own last time and just accepted what they told her.
Same thing happened at a bank–they told her foreigners can’t get debit cards.
I get so tired of this crap; but then I could be my Taiwanese friend now in America who is having all kinds of problems doing ANYTHING without a Social Security Card.

From a Taipei site:
I.D. card of both parties (refer to the above)

Two copies of the automobile (motorcycle) registration letter signed (sealed) by both parties.

The driving permit

Owner copy of the new license plate registration certificate held by the previous owner (exempt for motorcycles)

Compulsory Automobile Liability Insurance certificate issued under the name of the newly registered owner
tmvso.gov.tw/English/Vehicle.html

Taichung site:
If you are registering a used vehicle you will need:

1. Original and photocopy of ID card, Residence Permit or valid driving license of both the buyer and seller

2. Seals of both the buyer and the seller (if the vehicle is registered in an individual name, the owner’s signature is sufficient)

3. New License Plate Registration form

4. Motor license 

5. New owner’s proof of valid compulsory motor liability insurance
[english.tccg.gov.tw/index.php?pa ... =64&pid=18](http://english.tccg.gov.tw/index.php?page=government_depart_01&id=64&pid=18)

I’ve had some experience with buying bikes and transferring ownership, etc. I sold my old 250cc Venox to a friend just last week. If you have an ARC, you can buy any bike your little heart desires, 50cc, 150cc, 250cc, 400cc, and up. Honest.

Sure, it’s good advice to get a Taiwan driver’s license if you’re going to be here a while. But as far as buying a scooter or motorcycle, an ARC will do just fine. (unless the law changed from last week!).