Registering Marriage In Taiwan

Hello,

I’ve been told, in quite clear terms, that it’s best to register my marriage in my home country and then register it in Taiwan. This is because my home country doesn’t reconcile Taiwan.

That’s a problem for another day though. That being said, once I register the marriage there, how do I register it in Taiwan? Can someone give me some guidance?

Thank you.

Are you getting married to a Taiwanese? If so, once you’ve got married abroad, get your marriage certificate translated to Chinese, take it to the nearest TECO for verification and then once you’re back in Taiwan you take the verified and translated marriage certificate to your spouse’s local Household Registration Office and register the marriage. There may be some additional verifications you need from your home country but best to check with the TECO nearest to where you plan to marry.

2 Likes

It does sound “sketchy”, would u mind telling us your country? It might give more insights.

Haven’t had any issues in registering my marriages (made here in Taiwan) in Italy (which officially does not recognise Tw, but only 13 odd countries do that, so…)

As long as the TW wedding certificate (which can be issued directly in English by the HHRO) is properly notarised and legalised by BOCA (sometimes this is not required, better to check with your consulate or equivalent diplomatic post) it seems very unlikely that they would not register it there too

Plus criminal record check and proof of not being married? Or has that changed?

To register is not needed, police record only for visa

1 Like

I did this 2 years ago so some steps may be easier now.

If you’re outside Taiwan, it’s definitely easier (most of the time) to register the marriage and deal with visas from your home country. I’m not familiar how the process is if you’re already in Taiwan.

After I got the marriage certificate from my home country, I got it translated to English, stamped by MOFA(my country), and then sent it to TECO. After I got it back (and all the other visa documents) I got it translated to Chinese in Taiwan, and register it at the household place. This is only about registering the marriage, if you need a visa based on the marriage you’d need several more documents