Registering top-level domains with the ".tw" country code

Hi all,

Does anyone know the requirements in order to get a .TW domain name? Also, how much are they. Do i need to be a registered company/business etc?

Thanks

graham

As is also the case in the States, you need to find a registrar here in Taiwan that can do that for you. There are several. Check here:

twnic.net.tw/english/dn/dn_03.htm

When I registered a few “dot-com-tw” domain names here in Taiwan, I used HiNet as the registrar. My experience was positive:

nweb.hinet.net

All instructions are in Chinese. Everything can be done by the Internet and fax.

Here are the requirements for “COM”, “NET”, “ORG” and “EDU” extensions: Unlike the States, you actually have to show that your organization is a business, a network provider, a non/not-for-profit organization, etc. Assuming that you want the dot-com extension, you simply need to fax in your Tawian business licence after registering online. So, here is the procedure for HiNet:

1. register an available name online with all your company details
  2. respond to an e-maiil confirmation confirming your identify/intent to register
  3. fax in your business licence
  4. go to the bank and remit the fee
  5. you’re done

Hinet charges NT$1000 for one year and NT$2000 for two years. Renewal is cheaper at NT$800 and NT$1600, respectively.

There are ways to get a dot-com-tw name without being the owner of a company. It requires finding an organization here that specializes in being the guarantor/power of attorney for the domain name. I have no experience in this.

If you wish to have a “.tw” extension without having a company or being a Taiwan citizen, perhaps you’d look into their “.idv.tw” extension, meaning “individual”.

As a sidenote, note that you can register domain names in Chinese characters too, although I have never seen an organization actually promote that.

You will note that a good deal of “good” domain names are still left for you to register with the “.tw” country code. Why is that? My guess comes from experience. When talking to a Taiwanese over the phone, and trying to do business, try dictating your e-mail or Web address. What if your e-mail address was “bartholomew@alibaba.com.tw”? You’d spend 20 minutes trying to dictate that, and in the end you’d fail. Wouldn’t it be so much eaiser if your e-mail address was “hello@abc123.com.tw”? Therefore, you’ll notice that a lot of alpha-numeric, meaningless, cute and sometimes downright unmemorable domain names are registered over more descriptive and meaningful ones. I guess that it is easier to tell someone on the fly than try to battle it out between “m” and “n”; “b” and “d”; etc.

The rules were relaxed earlier this year. If you are not registered as a company you may use a registered agent to get the domain edited for you. I am registered as a domain reseller in Taiwan so I have helped people without proper business licenses to get a .com.tw domain.

It is correct that you can register domains with Chinese characters. It has been possible since 2000. But it’s technically impossible to use these domains today. There has been talk about someday making this possible, but little action.

Since 99% of the English dictionary already is taken for .com domains it is a lot easier to find a good name with .com.tw. It’s a bit more expensive though.

You can use this webpage to check availability of both Taiwanese and other common domains.

bluetree.com.tw/services/domains.htm

SeedNET has .tw registration available in english:
rs.seed.net.tw/index_e1.html

I used them to register drivel.com.tw and it went quite smoothly. The only trouble is my spam filter identified the registration email as spam, but other than that it was very easy.