Religious activities in a public school?

This is a new account cause I don’t want this coming back to bite me in the ass in any way. I work in a public school, and Article 6 of the Educational Fundamental Act (which we’re supposed to familiarise ourselves with) states pretty clearly that “Public schools may not engage in promotional or other activities for any specific religion or belief.” Here’s the thing - my school holds a weekly activity where the students sing Christian songs, listen to Christian stories, and discuss Christian topics. The session is held largely in English, but there’s no way they can get away with saying it’s an English class because it’s 100% Christian. It may as well be Sunday school on a different day.

I’m not trying to get it shut down or anything, and not going to make any waves about it - they asked me to get involved but I told them flat out that I completely disagree with religion in schools outside of a comparative religion class. My stance was accepted without question. That said, I don’t entirely trust the school’s management, and it’d be nice to have an ace in the hole in case they try to mess with me in any way in the future. The way that they accepted my refusal to join in, combined with the fact that they’ve been wanting me to do more extracurricular activities, makes me think they know they’re in the wrong with it. Can anyone with firm knowledge on this issue tell me how strictly this kind of thing is enforced and what kind of stance the MOE generally takes towards infringement of the EFA?

2 Likes