Relocating from Singapore to Taiwan

Hi,
I am considering relocating from Singapore to Taiwan. I work 50+ hours/week in SG and rent a $3k USD/month apartment. I have lived in SG for 2 years and enjoy traveling in SE Asia and outdoor activities (biking, swimming, hiking, etc.). I am looking for a better work opportunity and hopefully saving money. I will be living in Taipei and working near Dingxi MRT.

How does the cost of living compare between SG and Taiwan?
Where are the nightlife and bar districts? Residential districts for young expats?
What is the approximate rent for a 1-bedroom with modern facilities?
Do landlords treat expats well?
Are there Western style grocery stores?
How much does a lunch and dinner cost at a restaurant that serves American or Western food? [I am a healthy eater that likes fresh veggies and fruit.]
Are there running trails or bike paths in Taipei? Are there active running/biking/triathlon groups? How much do healthclubs cost? Is there pollution?
Is it easy and convenient to travel to Taiwan’s beaches on weekends?
Are most expats ESL teachers or office workers?
Where are the majority of expats from?
Is Chinese necessary to ‘survive’ in TW?
Is TW truly a tax-friendly country? I read that foreigners must pay an 18% withholding tax and that this process is complicated.
What is the typical yearly bonus in TW? Does TW award a 13-month bonus?
With company sponsorship, is it easy for foreigners to obtain their work permit, banking account, apartment, utilities, etc.?
Is TW fun for Western women?
If you had a choice between Singapore and Taiwan, which one would you choose and why?
Are Taiwanese people friendly? :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for reading! I’m looking forward to your advice.

I’m German and work in Taipei for half a year, I am here now since two months. I can not answer all your questions but I think I can start answering a few of them in regards to my experiences.

How does the cost of living compare between SG and Taiwan? - I’ve been to SG for a short holiday trip, I can say that TW is a lot more cheaper than SG, you can find many places for cheap food, clothesor supermarkets.
Where are the nightlife and bar districts? Residential districts for young expats? - I spend a lot of time in the area around Taipei 101, Xinyi District. There are all the new nightclubs, Bars, Lounges etc… You have to consider that these places are not cheap because it’s more the high class places. But there are a lot of Nightclubs with open Bar between 350 and 800 NTD (depends on weekday). A lot of foreigners (espacially exchange students) live in Shida area, Daan Distr. The Taxis are very cheap in compare to Europe, so it’s no problem to get around the city at night!
What is the approximate rent for a 1-bedroom with modern facilities? I don’t know, I live in a flatsharing for 10.000 NTD for the room.
How much does a lunch and dinner cost at a restaurant that serves American or Western food? [I am a healthy eater that likes fresh veggies and fruit.] - Western food is not cheap, maybe between 200-500NTD per meal… You find everything to eat here. But why western food? Taipei offers so much good local food !
Are there running trails or bike paths in Taipei? Are there active running/biking/triathlon groups? How much do healthclubs cost? Is there pollution? - Search a place near to a city park or a river park, they offer many sport possibilites. I think fitness studios are quite expensive!
Is it easy and convenient to travel to Taiwan’s beaches on weekends? Yes it is, but depends on which place… You can reach the north cost in under one hour.
Where are the majority of expats from? - All over the world… not any specific group.
Is Chinese necessary to ‘survive’ in TW? - You can survive with english, sometimes hand and feet are necessary.
Is TW fun for Western women? - Depends on your definition of fun. You can have a lot of fun but taiwanese men are very shy :wink: !!
Are Taiwanese people friendly? :slight_smile: Don’t need to think about this question: The most friendly people I have ever met in the world!!

For the most part western food when eating out concists of deep fried, pizza and burgers … thrown in a ceasar salad ones in a while. Oh, lot’s of Italian … overcooked pasta

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

MUCH CHEAPER
Where are the nightlife and bar districts? Residential districts for young expats?
THERE ARE A FEW, THOUGH NO ORCHARD TOWERS OR CLARK QUAY, BUT NIGHTLIFE IN TAIPEI IS PRETTY GOOD
ANYWHERE FROM 500-1500 USD
CASE BY CASE
YES
How much does a lunch and dinner cost at a restaurant that serves American or Western food? [I am a healthy eater that likes fresh veggies and fruit.]
EAT LOCALLY, THE FOOD IS GOOD, TAIWANESE ARE MAD FOR THEIR FRUIT. YOUR STANDARD CHILI’S FRIDAY’S CRAP RUNS FROM 7-20 USD
Are there running trails or bike paths in Taipei? Are there active running/biking/triathlon groups? How much do healthclubs cost? Is there pollution?
YES TO ALL, POLLUTION IN TAIPEI IS LESS THAN SINGAPORE, WE DON’T HAVE INDONESIA AS A NEIGHBOR
YES, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY GET A CAR IF YOU MAKE A DECENT WAGE
LOTS OF ESL TEACHERS AND STUDENTS, EXPATS FEWER ALL THE TIME (CHINA RELOCATION)
USA, UK, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, WESTERN EUROPE, TONS OF JAPANESE AND SE-ASIANS TOO BUT YOU LIKELY WONT RUN IN THE SAME CIRCLES
NOT IN TAIPEI
Is TW truly a tax-friendly country? I read that foreigners must pay an 18% withholding tax and that this process is complicated.
YOU READ WRONG, TAXES HERE ARE LOW
YOU GOTTA NEGOTIATE THAT WITH YOUR COMPANY, THOUGH MOST COMPANIES GIVE OUT A BONUS, AVERAGE IS 3 MONTHS PAY
With company sponsorship, is it easy for foreigners to obtain their work permit, banking account, apartment, utilities, etc.?
YES, EASY FOR MANY OF THOSE WITHOUT TOO, MONEY TALKS
IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN MIND, ITS NOT AS FUN AS SINGAPORE
If you had a choice between Singapore and Taiwan, which one would you choose and why?
SINGAPORE IS REALLY NICE, BUT TAIWAN HAS A LOT OF DIFFERENT THINGS ON OFFER AND IS MUCH BIGGER
Are Taiwanese people friendly? :slight_smile:
THEY CLAIM THEY ARE

Fifty cents for a dollar everything that’s available on both places.
You’ll find your place later on when you’re around.
In Taipei, 10000 TWD a month considered as higher average margin.
Case by case. Depends on yourself and the landlord.
Carrefour good enough for you?
American/European food cost more than local/Chinese food.
Vegetarians food stall could be your better choice for fresh veggies.

Yes, there are lots of bike trails. Even Taipei city have a rent-a-bike facility in most MRT stations.
Pollution no worse than Singapore with Indonesian rain forest keep burning every summer.

Yes, of course. Bus linked every spots in this island.
When bus unavailable, train is your best option.

Americans/British are mostly ESL teachers.
Indonesians and Filipinos mostly maids.
Thais and Viets mostly blue collar workers.
Gambians are students in NTUT.
Indonesians are students in NTUST.
Latinos are students in Ming Chuan University or many other universities.
Cantonese are students in NTNU-Linkou branch.

See above, most would be Indonesian maids/caregivers.
I speak ten Chinese words, six of them are numbers.
After a year, you’d be surprised seeing that you pay so low for so many facilities.
Normally yes, but it depends.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.
I suppose so, coz there’re lots of them here nowadays.
Taiwan!!! Girls are prettier here…if you’re in to girls…:smiley:
Are Taiwanese people friendly?
That’s the myth, my friend…same like G-spot…many have been taught, none have achieved…

Taiwan’s income tax rates.

taxrates.cc/html/taiwan-tax-rates.html

Taiwan personal Income Tax

Taiwan personal income tax rates are progressive to 40%.

Income Tax Rate
0-500,000 5%
500,001-1,130,000 12%
1,130,001-2,260,000 20%
2,260,001-4,230,000 30%
4,230,001 and over 40%

Nonresidents are subject to withholding tax at a rate of 18% on wages and salaries, 20% on commissions, bank interest, royalties, fees for professional practices, rental income and prizes exceeding NTD 2,000. As from 1 January 2010, a 15% withholding tax is levied on interest on short-term bills, interest on securitised certificates, interest on corporate bonds, government bonds or financial debentures, as well as interest derived from repurchase transactions with the above bonds or certificates. The rate is 20% in all other cases.

And to follow up on the topic of tax: the bureaucratic category “nonresident” mentioned by HHII is defined as residing less than 183 days in Taiwan during any calendar year. If you stay more than 183 days in a calendar year, your income will be taxed on a progressive scale.

Guy

I’m just wondering, do you have a job lined up in Taiwan already? Unless you’re in ESL or a few select industries, otherwise it would be hard to find a job making same wage you get in Singapore.

Tax rates above are mitigated by a “progressive difference” reduction so your actual may be lower. Must be resident (physically present on the rock over 183 days in a calendar year).

Foreigners may have taxes withheld at 20pct until they have been over 183 days in any calendar year. Some companies , at their discretion, may not do so, but run the risk of paying YOUR tax if you do a runner.

If you are a guy, I would say Taiwan is probably a LOT more fun (girls !) . If you are a woman, I would say , Singapore is probably better. Dating for western women is apparently very hard on the rock. As most western guys are with local women. In Singapore, with so many western guys around, you MAY have more chances. BUT likely they are with local women too.

You could visit Taiwan for say a week and make up your mind after?

Taiwan is among the top if not THE top holiday destination for Singaporeans, if that helps.

Could be for you, best to stay in Singapore and just visit Taiwan.
Air fares are relatively cheap.