Relocating to Pingdong

I’m thinking about leaving the city life and relocating to Pingdong. If you have or are living there, any comments good or bad would be helpful. Thanks

what city are you leaving from? If you are just going across the bridge from Kaohsiung?

I will be leaving from Taipei and I am a female. I will be looking for a job, yes teaching. I’d prefer daytime work like a kindie. I am also looking for a house with an enclosed yard. Hopefully a single standing house not attached to another. I have 2 cats and 2 dogs to relocate with me. Any suggestions ???

sixismycat,

One day, when I have enough saved up, I’d also like to get away from city life… the Science Park… the traffic… the mad engineers… and move south… somewhere where there’s peace and quiet and fresh air and an ocean…

I am seriously thinking about ‘retiring’ in the Kenting-Pingdong-Erluanbi area. Buy some land, build a house… maybe start some small business with the wife… take it easy…who knows.

Anyway, to answer your question: The bad thing about Pingdong is the fact that it’s Pingdong… not Taipei. And the good thing about Pingtong is the fact that it’s Pingdong… not Taipei. :slight_smile:

I’m quite sure you are aware of the things you’ll miss out on if you move from the 'city … Taipei, Hsinchu… wherever. If you are, and you’re happy with it, go for it. :slight_smile:

I think most long-termers have already beaten you to that idea. I can think of a few lifers who live in Kenting town or in Pingdong. And neither of them are big enough to support a huge network of English schools from what I’ve seen on my multiple trips down there. But each to their own.

If I am able to retire like that I’d move to Canada and buy a house there and stuff… Its cooler there and at least people speak english over there.

well Pingtong starts just across the bridge from Kaohsiung. The Kao-Ping bridge (appropriately named). MY sister lived in exactly the type of house you described and she was just really across this bridge. So you could live there and teach in Kaohsiung and have the little town and the big city.
Have your cake and eat it too. If you go too far down south , to near kenting? Thats a different scene altogether. You may as well live/work in Hualien or Taitung then.

IT was a standalone house , perfect for animals. not too big and not small. JUST PERFECT. I would like a place like that too . It was close (walking distance ) to the PINGTONG train station is all i remember. I can ask her if you need details?

If I am able to retire like that I’d move to Canada and buy a house there and stuff… Its cooler there and at least people speak English over there.[/quote]

no they dont, they speak cantonese now, you know that :slight_smile::):slight_smile: