Remembering The Gipper

Well, I agree.

But this is a hypothetical question… and you were happy to discuss it above with pinesay. So, I just assumed you would be happy to discuss it with me too.

Hmmph!

OK… So, I’m not good enough for you… :wink:

ooh… erm… well…
let me know where to send the appology flowers!:wink:

I was originally trying to help pinesay understand the diff between fact and opinion(I should have used hypothetical!). Anyway s/he doesn’t quite seem to get it :rainbow: Oh well…

That’s what the Reagan critics really hate about Reagan. They’re so smart and he was such a simpleton… yet he was right and they were wrong… :laughing:

[quote=“butcher boy”]ooh… erm… well…
let me know where to send the appology flowers!:wink:[/quote]

Beer would better alleviate my hurt.

whenever you have the misfortune to be in Tainan you’re on!

My boss, who is from Tainan, is always telling me that Tainan is Heaven on Earth.

Tell your boss to get out a bit more… how about Argentina? Buenos Aires? Mendoza? Carilo? Pinamar? Bariloche?

[quote=“In an article cited by Tigerman, Robert Bartley”]After we have listened to all the complaints about the deficits he leaves behind, the fact remains that we are now in a record peacetime economic expansion

No offense Jive Turkey:

But you like many others are of the subconscious habit of adding “many good deeds” and “many good intentions” after Carter’s name? See how public relations works. Why? What were Carter’s good intentions? Why not just call them mistakes? What were his good deeds after leaving office? To my knowledge he has helped poor people build houses. Other presidents have been involved in charity work as well. What’s the big kudo for Carter?

Carter was as one clever pudit has put it, the closest we came to choosing a president randomly out of the phone book. What did he do that was so good? Where are his good intentions? Why don’t other leaders have these good intentions too? Was Clinton meaning well when he stuck his… er counseled Monica Lewinsky? Was Nixon well meaning when he tried to find out what the Democrats were up to in Watergate? Was Reagan well meaning when he approved Iran Contragate? Is Bush now well intentioned in Iraq?

Why is it that Carter frequently gets these passes. The man was a failure. He was such an abject failure that people feel so embarrassed and pity thte man to such a degree that they excuse his actions like a mentally retarded adult shitting in his pants. Who would dare to make fun? criticize? But the mess and smell are just as bad.

[quote=“fred smith”]No offense Jive Turkey:

[/quote]
No offense, Fred, but you’re beating a strawman.

Where did I say anything about his good intentions? Where did I say anything about good deeds performed while he was President? Nowhere.

Organizing and personally managing election monitoring teams in third world countries. Very nut and bolt, but necessary work.

There’s no big kudo for Carter, Fred. Where did I say that he has done more in his retirement than other Presidents? Nowhere. The main reason he is often cited as a President who has done something worthwhile after office is because he has lived and worked for a long time after his presidency.

I don’t recall having described him as a success in my post.

Jive Turkey

Fred can’t help it. He goes all funny when people use certain ‘c’ words like (fred stop reading now) ‘Chirac’ or ‘Carter’…

Nope:

I think I still have a fair point. Carter is endlessly prefaced with good deeds and good intentions. I am merely pointing to the peculiarity that Carter is always prefaced with these particular attributes and that Jive Turkey was doing so as well. Carter for years was angling after a Nobel Peace Prize and getting it required some major public relations efforts.

And speaking of strawmen, I am saying that Jive Turkey like many others… I believe that the statement makes it clear that I am talking about this tendency among many rather than specifically targeting Jive Turkey.

As to other c words how about clinton, castro, chavez, and I suppose now I will be forced to add chalabi. Yet, what about de Villepin? no c in that name nor for Joschka Fischer that little fu** no c’s there either. Hmmm seemed to be something there but now…

[quote=“fred smith”]Nope:

And speaking of strawmen, I am saying that Jive Turkey like many others… I believe that the statement makes it clear that I am talking about this tendency among many rather than specifically targeting Jive Turkey.

[/quote]
Nope, Fred, you’re just blowing hot air. Nowhere in my post did I say that anything Carter has done since his Presidency can make up for his failures of leadership while in the White House. Perhaps you should read more thoroughly before shooting off prematurely. If you need to find a Carter apologist to help you lead into a Carter bashing rant, you’ll have to look elsewhere.

When Reagan sang the Marseillaise - in French

UNITED NATIONS, June 6 (AFP) - For all those around the world who remember Ronald Reagan as a plain-spoken president who represented the folksy heart of America, here’s a shocker - he really did know some French.

John Negroponte, the US ambassador to the United Nations who served as his deputy national security advisor, said here Sunday that Reagan once stunned a dinner party by singing the French national anthem.

“President Reagan noted at one point that he didn’t know any foreign languages,” Negroponte said, recalling a dinner he hosted for the late president in Mexico.

“But in high school he had learned to sing the Marseillaise, the French national anthem. And he asked the guests if they would like to hear him sing it. What were they going to say?” Negroponte recalled with a chuckle.

“He sang, with perfect recollection, the Marseillaise to the assembled guests,” the US ambassador said. “He was a magnificent man, he was charming, he had a great sense of humour.”

expatica.com/source/site_art … ry_id=8238

JT:

I think you are overreacting to my post. Anyway, I am going to let this go. You win. Okay.

My opinion is fact. :wink: … It is a ‘fact’ that I have such an opinion.

… Wow, I even impress myself sometimes. I should become a liberal politician.

… Wow, I even impress myself sometimes. I should become a liberal politician

Well impressing yourself is certainly one important qualification in becoming a liberal politician but do you also have these:

dishonesty
hypocrisy
lack of commonsense
lack of logic
lack of rational thought patterns
lack of sense

so while you may be on the right track Pinesay, I think that you will never cut it as a liberal politician. Pardon my pessimism.

[quote=“pinesay”]
The fact remains: a weak and equivocating leader like Kerry would invite a revitalization of terrorist activity. Plain and simple.[/quote]

A “revitalization” of terrorist activity? I didn’t know it had stopped.

[quote=“smerf”][quote=“pinesay”]
The fact remains: a weak and equivocating leader like Kerry would invite a revitalization of terrorist activity. Plain and simple.[/quote]

A “revitalization” of terrorist activity? I didn’t know it had stopped.[/quote]

They are on the defensive, that’s for sure. Just look at Iraq. Why, didn’t all the Bush-haters say that Iraq and Saddam had nothing to do with Al Queda? Why then are we now fighting them in Iraq, along with every other wannabe terrorist flavor of the month? Where did they come from? They are desperate and don’t want to see self determination in Iraq. They are scared stiff that Iraq will become an ally of the US … Iran is scared. Palestine is scared. Syria is scared … Just like Liberal Democrats are scared stiff of the same thing. Libs pray that things go wrong so they can pile it on Bush. Whoops! I forgot. Mainstream liberalism hates God. Maybe they don’t pray.

[quote=“pinesay”][quote=“smerf”][quote=“pinesay”]

Libs pray that things go wrong so they can pile it on Bush. Whoops! I forgot. Mainstream liberalism hates God. Maybe they don’t pray.[/quote][/quote]

Nobody has to “pray” that things will go wrong while Bush is the leader: things have already gone very wrong. Let’s see what has taken place while Pres. Bush has been in office:

Iraq is a mess, pure and simple. The bodies of foreign troops continue to pile up weekly while the Bush admistration continues to remain silent on how long it will be before the troops can get the hell out of that country.

The environment has hardly seen a more indifferent person than Bush. He has done nothing to enforce current laws or implement new ones concerning such things as illegal logging, improving the quality of air or water, or making the food American’s consumer safer.

Corporate crime is still being largely ignored because Bush is so entangled in the Iraq mess that he has no time to focus on local (American) problems. (Of course, what can we expect with corporate criminal Cheney being Bush’s right-hand man?)

Pres. Bush as a leader? Grade so far: F.