Remote Sensing of Vehicle Emissions in Taiwan?

The same EPA website that mentions the proposed New Progrom on Old Cars, that I moan about in another thread, also mentions remote sensing of vehicle emissions, though no details are given.

http://www.epa.gov.tw/en/epashow.aspx?list=99&path=128&guid=8d668c67-e27f-4a96-ac41-323149899ff2&lang=en-us

A quick google shows early deployment/pilot testing of systems (UV/IR absorption or Raman spectra laser backscattering) in the US and elsewhere.

Anyone heard of this being operational in Taiwan? Specifically, anyone heard of prosecutions/fines resulting, though I’d guess its too early for that?

Its a neat idea, unless its me that gets caught.

I suppose I can just slipstream a 20 year old Jog for cover. I seem to be doing that most of the time anyway.

I would be very suspicious of the ability of the system to identify the polluting vehicle in dense traffic such as you see in Taiwan. In the US they install these devices on roads with less traffic density so the detection rate is better, and when they start issuing tickets there will less arguing about who’s vehicle was polluting.
Taiwan’s speed cameras take a lot of photos where there is more than one vehicle in the target area when the shutter is open. These are randomly discarded because of course all the vehicle owners photographed will claim they were doing the limit and it was the other vehicle that overtook them. The cops are making enough money from the unarguable photos that they don’t bother with these dubious ones. I cannot imagine how a remote detection system could photograph a bunch of vehicles and the cops be able to point out the polluter, unless it was absolutely spewing smoke out of the tailpipe. Everyone would claim it was the other vehicles that were dirty.

BTW, it’s ‘pogrom’ :wink:

[quote=“redwagon”]I would be very suspicious of the ability of the system to identify the polluting vehicle in dense traffic such as you see in Taiwan.

BTW, it’s ‘pogrom’ :wink:[/quote]

I’d think a LIDAR -based system could give very high spatial resolution, and do speed as well (so potentially two tickets) though I dont know if they are operational yet.

Freeway deployment would probably be first, which wouldn’t get white/green plate bikes, but there’s perhaps too many of those anyway.

So 'tis pogrom. Oy vay!, my yiddisher mama will be revolving in her grave.