[Remote Work] Taipei or Bangkok?

Hello everyone,

I’m reaching out for some guidance to help make an important decision. A bit about me: I’m a 33-year-old European currently residing in Singapore, where I’ve been for over six years, following stints in Hong Kong and several European countries.
I am a bit tired of Singapore: the city has very little to offer, prices are extremely high, and pretty much all of my friends have left. The lack of nature, the lack of culture and the extreme “modernity” of the whole City is taking a toll on me as well, and I am looking for a change.

A few things I enjoy doing:

• I usually go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week
  • I play football 1/2 times per week.
  • I like to go to the seaside/beach
  • I like to drive a scooter and go visit markets, restaurant, but I enjoy good quality food and fine dining when possible.
  • Love to get a drink in proper lounge bars.
  • I like to go clubbing but I go rarely, maybe 2 times a month, mainly techno, and as above, I prefer to have a drink in a nice bar where I can have conversation and meet people.

I’ve recently received an offer from a startup that allows me to work remotely. However, they won’t sponsor my visa, so I need to handle that independently. I’m considering two options:

• Taiwan (via a Gold Card Visa): I have a soft spot for Taiwan. My Mandarin used to be passable (I was HSK4, but probably closer to HSK2 now).
    I’ve visited Taiwan frequently and have a fondness for Taipei, especially its proximity to hiking trails and the allure of places like Tainan, Hualien, and Taroko Park.

• Thailand (through an Employer of Record in Bangkok): Bangkok is another city I love for its vibrant energy.
    However, I’m concerned about the high tax rate (around 27% for my salary level) and the general quality of expat life there.

While Taiwan is my preferred choice, the ongoing tensions with China give me pause. I’m looking to settle in a city for the next 3-4 years, and I’m weighing the stability and safety of my options.
I would not want to move there and relocate within a year, for example.
I understand, however, that is impossible to make prediction and that the above is a thought that probably will always have to be part of the life of who lives in Taiwan - I never had this thought in my head but it became more and more of a possibility after what is going on in the last 12 months around the World, but this is another story.

For those of you who have lived in or have experience with Taipei and Bangkok, how would you compare the two cities in terms of expat life, safety, and overall quality of living? Any insights, tips, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated as I make this decision.
(My favorite option would have been Hong Kong, but unfortunately with the Startup not being able to offer me a visa and not wanting to go through EOR for Hong Kong, I cannot choose it)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Minus 1 point for Taiwan.

2 Likes

The Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme not working in your case?

From people who applied to it, it takes plenty of time for the approval, and it also would not work in the same way and with the same flexibility of, for example, a Gold Card.

There are no ongoing tensions with China.

3 Likes

If you meet the qualifications, the top talent pass is a way to self sponsor long term stay

But curious, why do you think HK is a better place than Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand?

It’s not easy from Bangkok either. Roads are shit in Thailand. He would need a plane to get to a proper beach.

From Taipei it’s an hour or two to some decent beaches or a short plane trip to even better ones.

3 Likes

Taiwan is more than just Taipei, plenty of locations with access to beaches.

4 Likes

Some of us who wanted to move to Thailand accidentally ended up in Taiwan. Since you know the difference you are already a step ahead.

Never lived in Bangkok, but I’d rather live there. Not as sleepy as Taipei.

4 Likes

Use the money from lower taxes in Taiwan to buy yourself a nice car. This way you can access beaches and nature while being in Taipei. You can always visit Bangkok after a 3 hour flight.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the initial replies guys.

Regarding why I prefer Hong Kong over the other cities: it is a mix of a few factors.
It is a very convenient, safe, and vibrant city.
It is true that right now it changed quite a lot after the events of 2019 as well as Covid, but I still find it energetic, fun, with plenty of options in regards of city life, as well as life in the outskirt.
Hong Kong has beautiful hiking trails, beautiful beaches (Long Ke Wan for example), amazing tiny little Island with community villages.
In addition to that, there is still a good network of professional and - in my case - my best memories, my best connections, almost all of my best friends are in Hong Kong, even tho I lived there barely 2 years.
I never saw a place where I managed to meet as many cool people as there, and considering it is much easier to get PR there than in Singapore, 95% of the people I met are still there.
Overall it is a place where I can see myself live, but unfortunately I am having really hard time finding a job, since Sales Engineering with APAC scope is entirely gone.

In some ways, I see Taiwan has a huge, less international, Hong Kong.
There is a cool city, which is Taipei, plus plenty of other interesting cities as well, just a couple of hours away.
Villages, mountains, hiking trails, beaches, parks, to me Taiwan would probably be the best options among all, but I do not know anyone there, and I am also (maybe I am the only one) a bit worried about how feasible it is for me to live there maybe 4-5 years or even longer.

Singapore used to be extremely nice, and I never though it was as boring as people make it to be.
But after covid it changed fundamentally, both in the way of “having fun” as well as in the type of expats it attracts.
Literally almost nobody below 30 is even trying to come anymore due to the high cost of living and the challenges to get a visa.
Single people are not that many anymore, since there is basically nothing to do overnight, apart from 5-6 clubs.
No beaches, no villages, and I do not know how to explain it but sometimes I need to see “old” villages. Authentic old little market. Village life, mountains, beaches, nature. I need to see stuff that is not very artificial and pristine, and I really love to live outdoor, I do not want to spend my time in malls.

So this is why.
Currently, even tho I am saying I am single, it is two months I date a PRC girl, but that’s another story, and it is the only thing that makes me think a bit about staying here.
But it is just two months, and on the other end I am super interested in this work opportunity.
I will let life do its course.

3 Likes

If you think this woman is worth it, then I suspect Bangkok will be far easier to arrange than basing yourself in Taipei.

Have you asked what she wants?

Guy

1 Like

I indeed asked.
She is not particularly against Taiwan, before me she was actually dating a Taiwanese guy.
However for now she would prefer Bangkok because of proximity and visa, and because on the long term she would prefer to live in Bangkok then Taiwan.

On the long term, probably after 4-5 years, 10 max, I want to go back to Europe, so there is an element of disagreement.

We just started dating, we are talking this a lot but she met me basically when I started the interview process, so she knew this was going to happen and she has been fairly supportive.

The role is 100% remote, so wherever I am based I should be able to meet her monthly or so.

Where specifically?

South of Europe :slight_smile: From your name, we might be from the same country.

Given your background and your experience in HK, I wonder what @Mataiou would say about the choices here?

Guy

Nice road from Bangkok to Cha Am, Petchaburi, Hua Hin…

Cost of living difference will shrink the difference a lot, but in Taiwan taxes pay for great health care

I have only visited Taipei, but have lived in Bangkok. If i could have my Taiwan salary in Bangkok I’d be there

Thailand is more than Bangkok

1 Like

There obviously are, we have threads about it if you need to learn about it.

But to answer OP, it is unlikely that China will attempt an invasion or blockade in your timeframe

1 Like

I see three issues for you.

1. Are taxes really that much lower in Taiwan? It appears to me that they are just 7% lower.
  2. Your PRC girlfriend can’t live here unless you get married.
  3. Taiwan might not be sophisticated and international enough for you.

Yes, the threat from China is more serious than it used to be but it is still probably very low. I don’t think you should factor this into your decision.

If you like the outdoors, Taiwan should be an easy choice. Most of the island is rugged mountains and there is far more nature than either Bangkok or Hong Kong. Yes I am aware that Hong Kong has some very nice hills, nature reserves, and hiking trails. But it just can’t be compared in terms of scale and variety.

For what it’s worth, many people from Hong Kong love Taiwan although some find it a bit slow. Others are coming for exactly that.

7 Likes

Thank you!

1. For the salary I have been offered, I calculated the Tax in Taiwan using this link: eTax Portal,Ministry of Finance
    It shows to me that I will have to pay approximately 15-16% of my income.

For Thailand it is about 24% (which is 8% more, so you were basically right) but there are certain costs in maintaining the visa, that are estimated in about 6% of my yearly salary.
Considering the salary I will be getting, a difference of 8% tax plus 6% for the EOR/visa, it is quite significant. 14% of my yearly salary is almost 16,000USD.

1. Yes, I am aware of that.
    It is still too early to talk about this.

2. This might be a consideration, but on the other end I will gain a lot on culture, outdoors, authenticity of certain experiences I believe, etc…

1 Like