Remote working : Let's live the Dream

I’ve been working as a freelance editor for a number of years now. In fact, my remote work is what’s allowing us to move back to Canada next year. Most of my work has been with individuals although my main contract for the last couple of years has been with a company in Australia.

Time zones can be an issue but as long as you’re upfront about the time’s you are available, it should be fine. Sometimes, I’ve had to have Skype meetings in the late evening.

3 Likes

You should checkout online teaching…it’s becoming more and more popular and it’s currently what I do full time here in Taiwan. It’s annoying at times but I find it better than being in an actual classroom dealing with kids.

1 Like

Isn’t the salary of online teaching extremely low?
Does it sponsor an arc?

1 Like

I did content writing and market research for a few years.
Biggest disadvantage is visa and health insurance. How will you cover those if you work remotely?

I’m married so I don’t need to worry about a visa and I pay for the health insurance myself.

I’m curious as to where and how you find remote work.

Now that we are living in region with little paying work in my field it’s something that I looking at seriously over the next month.

I don’t think they would sponsor an ARC, i’m able to work because I have the marriage visa here through my wife. As for pay it depends on which company you use, iTutor and Cambly pay are decent

2 Likes

Vipkid pay is better, contact me if interested. No, no work visa, so please be married/on APRC with work permit, as we wanna follow the rules for posting here.

I been doing basically that for a while now. Its mostly great, just as long as you stay real world engaged in something non net based on a regular basis.

Thats easier to do outside of tw imo… fam and I just moved back to ny so its a bit easier to do that here than there to be fair.

aren’t you in something related to baseball or sports?

Something like that. But just got a new job out here. Now if i just get 3 more new jobs ill be able to have a place as cool as donghe…

dream big and it shall happen

1 Like

There is a lot of demand for remote software development. As a software engineer I only tried freelancer (website) but people say upwork is better. Given my limited experience though (4 years) I still want to be in a company before going freelancer in the future. I would like to know more stories in this field, maybe I create another topic

3 Likes

I work in sales and marketing and I’ve been semi remote working for most of the last ten years. But I’m not a freelancer and don’t have large flexibility in my schedule or get to pick the jobs I do.
I generally like the pay and job so I’m not complaining too much.
I wish corporations could give more time off to recharge and do something different though cos it’s a bit of a treadmill.

Have you tried to apply for sites like Toptal?

Hi, no I haven’t. Just checked the website. Do you have experience there?

Upwork and freelancer are bad because of high fees. Toptal is almost the same but at least you won’t be competing with 1$/h indians since they actually test you.
Ideally you shuld find work directly with a company and avoid any middlemen.

Edit: oh and have some self respect - kindly, yet firmly reject any job that requires you to install some software that monitors everything you do to get paid.

3 Likes

I used to do quite a lot of work through Toptal, and for me they were worth their cut just to remove all the busywork of finding clients, negotiating contracts, and chasing invoices. They always treated me well – one client ended up unable to pay when his funding collapsed, but Toptal just paid me what was owed on time and in full, and chased his end up themselves. These days I’m not freelancing, but if I wanted to pick up another side gig they’re probably the first place I’d go.

YMMV.

1 Like

Thats impressive, they offer value in another manner.

I think that’s perfectly reasonable if I’m paying someone to work by the hour. If someone quotes me a 10 hour job, I don’t want to pay them an extra 2 hours to play minesweeper if they finish early. And how do I know how they spent their time if they claim they need more? If they don’t want me to see how they spend their time, they can work on a per-job basis, which is how I usually hire people. I’ve nearly got scammed before and the only way I could get my money back was showing the freelancer’s screenshots. They hadn’t done anything at all for the 4 hours I hired them for.

You’re right that the fees are too high. You’re not supposed to, but it’s possible to contact them off the site if you want someone to do further work.