Removal of Amalgam fillings - Holistic Dentistry

The molar in which I had the root canal done some 10 years ago is hurting, especially when I chew food. A bit of the tooth has also fallen away. So basically I need a very good dentist in the Taipei or I-Lan area to possibly remove the amalgum filling or suggest alternatives.
I would prefer to do this back home but don’t think my tooth will wait. Its been hurting for at least a week.
I’ll give both Richard & Dr. Lin Yu Han a call. Basically I would like to find a very good dentist that is patient and professional and has good dental skill. Because from experience I know not all dentists are the same, some are much better than others. Just don’t want any bad experiences or regrets.

I just saw your post today. IT may be too late but I recommend an excellent dentist in MuCha. Shu (Wayne) Wen Ming . His dentistry uses CEREC (from Germany) which is a natural composite compatible with the body. My amalgam fillings were removed and replaced with CEREC. Amazing the subtle effects I could immediately notice without having the hard metals (mercury) in my body.

He also uses laser, which makes some of the dental experience PAINLESS! His office is located near the MRT Wan Fang Hospital and across the street from the police academy. His office sign has a yellow and smiley face with two upper teeth covered and braces. Tacky, yes! But, in terms of dentistry skill, he is regarded as one of the best in Taiwan. (He is the Third Generation Dental Clinic, which is the name of his clinic).

He speaks a little English. Another dentist speaks fluent English, but Dr. Shu is the one to do the work.

If address and phone number are needed I will post later.

[quote=“enpai”]I just saw your post today. IT may be too late but I recommend an excellent dentist in Mucha (Muzha). Shu (Wayne) Wen Ming . His dentistry uses CEREC (from Germany) which is a natural composite compatible with the body. My amalgam fillings were removed and replaced with CEREC. Amazing the subtle effects I could immediately notice without having the hard metals (mercury) in my body.

He also uses laser, which makes some of the dental experience PAINLESS! His office is located near the MRT Wan Fang Hospital and across the street from the police academy. His office sign has a yellow and smiley face with two upper teeth covered and braces. Tacky, yes! But, in terms of dentistry skill, he is regarded as one of the best in Taiwan. (He is the Third Generation Dental Clinic, which is the name of his clinic).

Yes at least a phone number please. Does this guy do the teeth whitening treatment as well?

He speaks a little English. Another dentist speaks fluent English, but Dr. Shu is the one to do the work.

If address and phone number are needed I will post later.[/quote]

Here is the follow up information on previous post.

Dr. Wayne Shu Wen Ming
location: MuCha near Wan Fang Hospital across from the Police Academy. Following is clinic address:

Xing Lung Road, Section 3 no. 194
Telephone number is 2239 0665
The staff speaks very little English. Make sure that Dr. Shu. does the work. See above post for additional info.

Satellite,

Apologies for the late delay. As a relative newbie, I could not remember where I posted the previous information. :s

So finally in response, I do not know about teeth whitening. Call clinic for this information.

MuCha near Wang Fan Hospital across from police academy.
Following is address:
Xing Lung Road, Section 3 no. 194
Telephone number is 2239 0665
The staff speaks very little English. Make sure that Dr. Shu. does the work.

What kind of prices do they charge?
With or without insurance?

Amalgam fillings are covered by National Health Insurance here. Regardless of dental, or medical care, NHI covers the cheapest treatments which are not necessarily the best for you. I understand that national health care in Europe covers some or all of this treatment. Bravo! Prices compared to the same treatment in US are cheaper. Hope that helps.

sorry I was talking about the CEREC treatment, what kind of price does the dentist you went to charge?

thanks

European: Sorry for the extreme delay in responding. :notworthy: I just came across your request this morning.

Prices vary according to condition of tooth.

12,000NT - 15,000 per tooth - for the smallest filling and not into the nerve (price varies according to size of filling)

18,000 - 20,000 per tooth - cavity has penetrated the nerve (price varies according to size of filling)

25,000NT per tooth - for crown

Hope this helps.

BTW: Laser is also used in dental treatments so there is minimal pain and only minimum use of anesthesia.

The above post by guest was actually done by me. I was at another computer this morning when I posted the pricing information. If you need more information call (Mucha) 2888 3833 or (ShiLin) 2239 - 0665. Staff speaks only a little English.

My dentist charges NT$1,000 for a filling.

Which is normal? My one’s prices or yours?

Stray Dog: I suspect the type of fillings you refer to are amalgam fillings. As the subject line indicates above, the price is for bio-compatible composite fillings which do not have harmful side effects to the body.

I didn’t realise there was such a big difference in price. But the last one I got was one of the white fillings, and was still the same price. But then I don’t know if that’s the same as the ones you just described.

Are those prices you quoted any chepaer if you have health insurance?

Ask your dentist what s/he is putting into your mouth. Also do your own research before you make your dental decisions. (A good idea for any type of health decision!) Mercury is highly toxic, why put it into your mouth. :astonished:

There are only a handful of doctors in Taiwan that do not use harmful dental material.

As above stated health insurance in Taiwan covers the cheapest materials. Some European insurance plans may cover it.

Thanks.

I skimmed the thread, so I missed some bits.

I’d love to get them all changed, but finances and fear prevent that happening! Maybe I can get it done cheaper at home.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

I do not know where “home” is, but the prices mentioned are cheaper than in US.

Another consideration, is that you would most probably NOT be having your whole mouth done at one time. This was helpful when I made the change.
You can also go in to get an estimate of the cost, before you start.

Some of the treatment is covered by Taiwan Health Insurance. You would have to talk to doctor or staff to get more specifics on this.

Hope this is helpful.

How many Porsches has he got?

Query: I’m thinking of getting my amalgam fillings removed. I know of two qualitified dentists in Taipei, Dr. Shu (recommended by Snowdragon), and Janet Wong. Has anyone had experience with either of these two? If so, please advise. And, since I live in Kaohsiung, does anyone know of a dentist qualified to remove amalgams who is located closer to this city than the two in Taipei? Also: my understanding is that government insurance will NOT cover the costs of such treatment.

Why not? I have had all my old amalgam fillings removed and replaced by white ones (UV hardened) … just paid the normal 100-150 NT$ … but not by any of the above mentioned dentists … my dentist is pretty good and is not scared doing a difficult job …

Why not? I have had all my old amalgam fillings removed and replaced by white ones (UV hardened) … just paid the normal 100-150 NT$ … but not by any of the above mentioned dentists … my dentist is pretty good and is not scared doing a difficult job …[/quote]

I have been lucky enough not to need any fillings since I’ve come to Taiwan, but I’m thinking of getting the “white ones” for the two metally ones I do have. How do you ask for the “white ones” at a dentist here? I never knew they were so cheap!