Removing the word China/Chinese from phrases/labels

So everyone probably had this discussion over the holiday

FB_IMG_1613027897698

I agree with this change. Are there other times you do a similar thing?

I recently had a discussion with my Taiwanese friend and she mentioned there is a new movement to refer to the spoken language as mandrin and not as Chinese. I had never heard this before.

I got thinking, are there other instances? Maybe Taiwanese who came from China prefer to be called Han instead of from Chinese descent.

Curious to hear thoughts on this

5 Likes

I think Chinese New Year is fairly innocuous. Both work fine in my books. Nothing wrong with Chineseness, especially since much of Taiwanā€™s local culture is derived from a pre-revolutionary China.

I cringe whenever someone refers to China as the mainland. Mainland assumes political connection. Especially if they claim to be green. I encourage the Marco Model.

10 Likes

is this because Chinese includes many varieties? Mandarin is one of them?

No, she said it was political. She suggested i say mandrin because weā€™re not in China, and technically thatā€™s the name of the language

Despite Mandarin referring to the language of the Mandarins, officials from Imperial China.

Does she want to call it å®˜č©±?

1 Like

how do you refer instead? Continental China?

China.

5 Likes

But what if you want to not include Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan? If you just say China, you are leaving a lot up to the imagination. Of the people I know, I would say at least twenty percent refer to themselves as Chinese and Taiwan as part of China. That is skewed because I work in Tianmu but you still get my point. I feel that mainland China is a geographical term, not a political one.

1 Like

Why do I care what they think?

Fair enough, but if you were having a conversation with one of those people, wouldnā€™t you want to make sure they knew what you meant?

I donā€™t think mainland China is a political term. It is a geographical distinction between continental China and the islands that surround it. Political terms to refer to this region would be China PR, or Communist China.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ Thatā€™s the thing. Iā€™m just applying the language and logic we all use in our own countries towards our own countries in Taiwan. Taiwan for me is a country and itā€™s not even a question.

I feel my intonation is quite clear.

ā€˜In China theyā€¦______ā€™

Something to that extent.

1 Like

But it is political. Mainland China. Are we insular China? No. Weā€™re Taiwan.

Is Taiwan part of Asia? Yes. I say that is in agreement. Is China in mainland Asia? I think we can agree on that too.

Vancouver Island, an island the size of Taiwan is in Canada, but not part of Mainland Canada.

Canada is a part of North America. Vancouver Island is outside Mainland North America, but still politically included as part of North America.

Greenland is part of North America, politically, but not part of both Canada or Mainland North America.

Alaska is not part of Canada, but a part of Mainland North America.

Thatā€™s what mainland means, the biggest and most important landmass of a political entity.

Despite Taiwan being an island itself, (in reality, what land ISNā€™T an island anyways?) The main island as some people call it, is the Mainland and Taiwanese sovereignty extends to other islands outside of Taiwan.

This is Mainland Australia. Notice there is no Tasmania.

4 Likes

Yes, much like Canada isAmerica.

China is a country, which is 100% political. So of course during times of opression and the threat of war it makes total sense to start using language to differentiate. China has been doing this in the opposite direction for many decades to try and play the psychological loyalty fame and have everyone call everything chinese.

We teach our kid Mandarin as well. Lunar new year. I slip up a lot out of habit, but try hard not to.

Given the politics and currwnt world, it absolutely makes sense to do this.

3 Likes

Good to hear.

My biggest slip up is usually calling local teachers the Chinese teacher.

Shouldnā€™t this be published in the Cancel Culture thread? Thatā€™s usually where silly political trivia belongs.

No. US politics can stay in US Politics.

1 Like

In Chinese using 大é™ø(mainland) to mean China is pretty neutral for me and hear it a lot with people over 30s in Taipei.

I had a 19 year old intern last year and she said nobody her age uses it anymore. If you do will be accused of loving China.

I think the anti-Chinafication (去äø­åœ‹åŒ–) is a tightrope. A lot of these symbolic battles are really divisive in Taiwan and political, have to weigh up the actual cost of fighting them. The most important thing is for people to be unified against the enemy on the other side of the strait. Is it really important if someone identifies as culturally Chinese or Taiwanese or the name of something

2 Likes

Isnā€™t ā€œmainlandā€ also the term the Taiwanese government uses? The Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area uses ā€œMainland Areaā€, and Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve seen this or similar terms in other laws. Iā€™ve also heard it from government representatives at NIA or MOL while applying for the gold card (some of my documents came from the country I was referring to as ā€œChinaā€, and they kept answering using ā€œmainlandā€ or ā€œmainland areaā€ - I remember finding it a bit odd).

I tend to avoid using ā€œmainlandā€ etc. personally, because I know some people have an issue with it (with a couple of exceptions like when editing stuff written by Chinese authors). Nonetheless, if itā€™s what both governments have decided to use it seems pointless for me to try to be at the vanguard of that revolution.

I did notice that most of my (youngish, Taiwanese) friends on social media were using the term ā€œChinese New Yearā€ rather than ā€œLunar New Yearā€ - I found that a bit surprising. And of course, people asking if we speak ā€œChineseā€ rather than ā€œMandarinā€.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been wondering about this ā€¦ but which lunar new year? The Thai one, the Chinese one, the Muslim one? And Iā€™m sure there are others Iā€™m forgetting. To me ā€œlunar new yearā€ lacks clarity.

Like @Marco, I think ā€œChinese New Yearā€ is innocuous, but it does lead to usual issues of how ā€œChineseā€ referring to a bunch of different things. Iā€™m Canadian; I speak English; Iā€™m Caucasian / white; I mostly cook North American food; most of my heritage is from the western or European tradition. For someone from China, all of those labels would probably be ā€œChineseā€, and thatā€™s ā€¦ complicated. Itā€™s one word carrying a bunch of different meanings.

4 Likes